Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
they hire the scouts
Yea, so they're responsible for how the drafts turn out on one level, but they don't actually make the picks. Ergo, you can't really compare drafts 1 to 1 with GMs. That's just not how it works. Dallas isn't finding studs every year because Jim Nill is a super genius at scouting. Just like Detroit didn't at one time because of Ken Holland.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yea, so they're responsible for how the drafts turn out on one level, but they don't actually make the picks. Ergo, you can't really compare drafts 1 to 1 with GMs. That's just not how it works. Dallas isn't finding studs every year because Jim Nill is a super genius at scouting. Just like Detroit didn't at one time because of Ken Holland.

Really bad take given Jim Nill is a super genius at scouting.

Reactions: Pens x

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Okay. The people Hextall hired to do the draft in Philly was way better than the people Rutherford or Dubas' hired to do drafting.
Definitely agree, though Toronto was consistently better during Dubas' time there than Philly was under Hextall, and made way less high picks. Flyers got 2nd overall and finished bottom 10 multiple times. They made 8 first round selections. It's kinda hard to compare.

Sanheim, NAK, Friedman, Lindblom, Provorov, Koneckny, Fedotov, Farabee, Hart, Frost (and Patrick, who would have been good without injuries and 2nd overall)

vs

Sandin, Durzi, Holmberg, Robertson, Amirov, Niemela, Minten, Knies, Hildeby

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Roope Hintz. Good pick, yeah?

Taken 49th ov in the 2nd round in 2015.

D+3 year playing in Liiga: 30pts in 44gp.

"Jim Nill is a super genius at scouting!"

Ville Koivunen, taken 51st ov in the 2021 draft.

D+3 year playing in Liiga: 56pts in 59gp.

"He's bad! He's a lottery ticket! He'll never amount to anything! He's a bottom 6 player!"

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Crazy, they should fire their staff then.

I'm sure he's a good scout with very good philosophies but like I said, he's not making the vast majority of the picks.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Definitely agree, though Toronto was consistently better during Dubas' time there than Philly was under Hextall, and made way less high picks. Flyers got 2nd overall and finished bottom 10 multiple times. They made 8 first round selections. It's kinda hard to compare.

Sanheim, NAK, Friedman, Lindblom, Provorov, Koneckny, Fedotov, Farabee, Hart, Frost (and Patrick, who would have been good without injuries and 2nd overall)

vs

Sandin, Durzi, Holmberg, Robertson, Amirov, Niemela, Minten, Knies, Hildeby

I'm not really impressed with any of the players you listed outside of Durzi and Knies.

Hextall got a lot of attractive pieces that are making the Flyers good today.

Crazy, they should fire their staff then.

I'm sure he's a good scout with very good philosophies but like I said, he's not making the vast majority of the picks.

He was making a ton of picks in Detroit from 1994 through the 2000s.

Roope Hintz. Good pick, yeah?

Taken 49th ov in the 2nd round in 2015.

D+3 year playing in Liiga: 30pts in 44gp.

"Jim Nill is a super genius at scouting!"

Ville Koivunen, taken 51st ov in the 2021 draft.

D+3 year playing in Liiga: 56pts in 59gp.

"He's bad! He's a lottery ticket! He'll never amount to anything! He's a bottom 6 player!"

Comparing Roope Hintz and Ville Koivunen is certainly a take that shows your knowledge when it comes to prospects.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I'm not really impressed with any of the players you listed outside of Durzi and Knies.

Hextall got a lot of attractive pieces that are making the Flyers good today.
Yea, but like I said, Hextall made 8 first round picks and Dubas made 2.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Okay. The people Hextall hired to do the draft in Philly was way better than the people Rutherford or Dubas' hired to do drafting.
For the record, Dubas kept Chris Pryor and the amateur staff from Hextall. They're the ones who drafted Yager, Ilyin, etc. It's the one thing Hextall seemed to be doing right. So if you're going to justifiably praise Hextall for hiring good scouts, any GM who hires the same scouts should get similar kudos.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
This is Exhibit ZZZ of what I'm trying to tell you.

If you want to play Eeyore with the others and convince everyone its the end of the world, go start a pitty party thread and whine there. This thread is supposed to be about discussing the prospects we have, where they might fit, and their progress.

We don't need you relentlessly posting "he's bad, he's bad, they're all bad, Bunting is bad! We're doomed!" over and over and over and over again. Quit being a cancer to the board.
Remember this post?:

73c.jpg

"NOOOO!! NOOOO!!! He can't be doing well! We can't have gotten anything good back for Guentzel! He's doing bad! He's a lottery pick! He'll never make it! It was quantity over quality! He's not a first-round pick! NOOOOO!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Look at the discussion prior. This is the only reason the Guentzel discussion was brought to this thread.

Reactions: Gurglesons

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Remember this post?:

Look at the discussion prior. This is the only reason the Guentzel discussion was brought to this thread.
That post was about Koivunen and was meant to mock people like you and Pixie who do (and continue to do) exactly what I stated.

Way to dunk on yourself boy-oh.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
You must be positive about the Guentzel trade or you are overreacting and wrong.

Obey.
Oh look at that, a post that doesn't depict the trade as a world-ending event. Doesn't even seem like you're fighting back tears with this one. Did you get the help I recommended or did you finally take some meds?

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I watched the final ~10 mins or so of the Karpat-Jukurit game yesterday.

My biggest takeaway was how much their coaching staff trusts Koivunen. Felt like they were double shifting his line a lot while they were trailing. As with most 20 year olds, think he needs to get a bit stronger. I saw one play on the boards where he was trying to posses the puck and the opposing Dman just shoved him from behind like 3 times and it resulted in him losing possession.

Made a nice play with the teams goalie pulled to strip the puck away from a Jukurit player in the neutral zone and get play going the other way.

Got those 10 PIM at the end of the game because he started a mini brawl. Jukurit player slashed him when the clock hit 0 and he got in his face.

I can see why the Helenius kid is one of the top ranked international skaters, dude had the puck in the offensive zone a ton.

Jukurit's coach is Olli Jokinen and he looked super weird with a beard and long hair :laugh:

Last edited:

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I watched the final ~10 mins or so of the Karpat-Jokerit game yesterday.

My biggest takeaway was how much their coaching staff trusts Koivunen. Felt like they were double shifting his line a lot while they were trailing. As with most 20 year olds, think he needs to get a bit stronger. I saw one play on the boards where he was trying to posses the puck and the opposing Dman just shoved him from behind like 3 times and it resulted in him losing possession.

Made a nice play with the teams goalie pulled to strip the puck away from a Jokerit player in the neutral zone and get play going the other way.

Got those 10 PIM at the end of the game because he started a mini brawl. Jokerit player slashed him when the clock hit 0 and he got in his face.

I can see why the Helenius kid is one of the top ranked international skaters, dude had the puck in the offensive zone a ton.

Jokerit's coach is Olli Jokinen and he looked super weird with a beard and long hair :laugh:
When I saw him I thought "Dang, that guy really looks like Olli Jokinen. I wonder if they are related?"

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Final OT Quinnipiac 3 Wisconsin 2:
Penguins prospects: Daniel Laatsch minus one, Cruz Lucius- minus one
Quinnipiac: Collin Graf- three shots- Victor Czerneckianair- Two goals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad