Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
If he ever makes it to the nhl, the Pens will teach him how to miss that open net or shoot it into the defenseman’s chest.
Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-30 um 19.45.26.png

Pretty bad play by him. As you can see No. 52 is in a way better position to shoot the puck in some defenders shin pads. Should have passed the puck but that´s teachable

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Final OT Quinnipiac 3 Wisconsin 2:
Penguins prospects: Daniel Laatsch minus one, Cruz Lucius- minus one
Quinnipiac: Collin Graf- three shots- Victor Czerneckianair- Two goals
I watched this game. Collin Graf would be a decent FA signing though I don't think he's a high probability to make it to the NHL. Czerneckianair was very noticeable all game. Scored two great goals. He might get a AHL PTO. Not sure his NCAA career shouts "late bloomer".

I completely forgot about Laatsch so I didn't focus on him at all unfortunately. I did like Lucius's game. I heard his name quite a bit, had a couple of decent shots and scoring chances. Definitely one of the better forwards for Wisconsin. Overall, a great prospect to have in the system.
Koivunen and Karpat advanced. Helenius finished with 2+4 in 6 PO games. Pretty good season for a draft-eligible.
Great experience for Koivunen to be getting. Great to see him producing when it matters in high stress games.

Helenius, I think, is going to turn into a solid 2C in the league. I just have no idea if he's going to go 2nd ov or 12th ov. A top 10 team is getting a good player in him.

Reactions: Rudy Russo

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Denver made it to the frozen four so we should see a good bit Brotz correct?

Wisconsin out and Lucius production looks like his production stagnated which isn’t a good sign but there might be more context there.

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
Koivunen and Karpat advanced. Helenius finished with 2+4 in 6 PO games. Pretty good season for a draft-eligible.

Helenius is probably my favorite non-Celebrini forward in this draft class. He's like part Marty Straka, part Robert Lang. He's not very big, but he plays like a power-forward. Also, you see a lot of neutral zone trapping in Liiga. Teams sit back in 1-3-1 or 2-3 formations. He just slices through them. One man breakout. Not sure he's proficient in any one offensive area (hands, shot, etc) but is good enough at all of them that it comes together nicely.

I hate giving term to goaltenders.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
If Pens have top 10 or higher pick I prefer a RH D RH shot that a couple really good prospects are there. I understand the time for development, but I am warming up to Helenius as the RH center that can be a top 6 center as he adds size. His skill is really good. With Yagar and Poulin that at least is a good start to replacing Sid and Geno in a couple. Although Sid may extend past Geno, a couple very good young centers is where the Dubas rebuild has to go.

Renton26

Jul 27, 2022
This may be a dumb question, I understand the Pens have 50 NHL contracts to give out per year and that’s why these college players get an AHL contract only but is there a limit to the amount of AHL contracts you can sign like 50? Thanks

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
This may be a dumb question, I understand the Pens have 50 NHL contracts to give out per year and that’s why these college players get an AHL contract only but is there a limit to the amount of AHL contracts you can sign like 50? Thanks
There is no salary cap in the AHL, no maximum salaries, no roster size limits until the playoff roster is set, and no control on salary beyond the willingness of teams to spend money. But there is a veteran rule where you can only play so much experience to keep it a 'development' league.

And some of these college players aren't good enough to warrant an NHL contract even if they had it available to give out in most cases

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Helenius is probably my favorite non-Celebrini forward in this draft class. He's like part Marty Straka, part Robert Lang. He's not very big, but he plays like a power-forward. Also, you see a lot of neutral zone trapping in Liiga. Teams sit back in 1-3-1 or 2-3 formations. He just slices through them. One man breakout. Not sure he's proficient in any one offensive area (hands, shot, etc) but is good enough at all of them that it comes together nicely.

I hate giving term to goaltenders.
It's such a gamble and double-edge sword given the unpredictability from year to year. I mean, now, I wish they would have signed Nedeljkovich to a two year deal. But opinion on that could obviously change next year.

There's only a handful of goalies in this league that have legitimately warranted mid-to-long term contracts. Jarry isn't one of them.

Reactions: Andy99

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If Pens have top 10 or higher pick I prefer a RH D RH shot that a couple really good prospects are there. I understand the time for development, but I am warming up to Helenius as the RH center that can be a top 6 center as he adds size. His skill is really good. With Yagar and Poulin that at least is a good start to replacing Sid and Geno in a couple. Although Sid may extend past Geno, a couple very good young centers is where the Dubas rebuild has to go.
If we are picking top 10, I would prefer us taking a center unless Celebrini, Demidov, Catton, Helenius, and Eiserman are all off the table. Then I could be okay taking on of a several top 10 dmen available - with RH RD being a priority.

I think it's easier to find top 4 capable dmen in FA than young centers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad