Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Thread | Where Have You Gone Joe Dziedzic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

This is, and may continue to be, a long running joke based on Steigerwald from this past summer, when in the rookie camp games he consistently called him Segula. (with a strong u, that rhymes with poo). So that's how I and some others like to refer to him.

Anyway, he was one of the more/most impressive players in that camp, and one of the two biggest surprises, IMO, along with Jeff Taylor. Hopefully these guys pan out and give us even more long term depth at the position, since right now I really don't see guy like Samuelsson, McNeill, and Ruopp being anything more than #7 guys. It's still early, particularly for Ruopp, but there's a huge drop off after Dumoulin, which is why I don't get why some people think he's so expendable or ordinary.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
This is, and may continue to be, a long running joke based on Steigerwald from this past summer, when in the rookie camp games he consistently called him Segula. (with a strong u, that rhymes with poo). So that's how I and some others like to refer to him.

Didn't think of that.

Anyway, he was one of the more/most impressive players in that camp, and one of the two biggest surprises, IMO, along with Jeff Taylor. Hopefully these guys pan out and give us even more long term depth at the position, since right now I really don't see guy like Samuelsson, McNeill, and Ruopp being anything more than #7 guys. It's still early, particularly for Ruopp, but there's a huge drop off after Dumoulin, which is why I don't get why some people think he's so expendable or ordinary.

It's no criticism of him personally, he's just the most expendable/has the least defined niche of all our good young defensemen, and we're all looking to that strength to yield us some answers up front.

Maatta's already arguably the best defenseman on the team, Pouliot's the PP wunderkind, Despres is the big one-man breakout with an edge, and Harrington's the clinical shutdown guy. Dumo's the unphysical, nondescript jack-of-all-trades, for better or worse.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Segulla was drafted a year later. We picked Seymour in 2012 and on the same day added Ruopp in a trade with Phoenix.

Segalla and Birks, the original topic of discussion, are from the same draft.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I haven't heard one way or the other but I suspect that was actually Despres' doing. Or at least, he had the last word on it and probably just shrugged his shoulders and said "whatever is easier for you idiots."

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I haven't heard one way or the other but I suspect that was actually Despres' doing. Or at least, he had the last word on it and probably just shrugged his shoulders and said "whatever is easier for you idiots."

He said he preferred Sy-mon to Simone. Neither of which is correct, but if they're going to get it wrong the guy's name is better.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I think DK wrote something about Despres only wanting people fluent in French to pronounce it the French way.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think DK wrote something about Despres only wanting people fluent in French to pronounce it the French way.

That makes some sense, I guess.

It really isn't hard to slap on a French accent for a friggin' name, though. Unless you're something of a window-licker. Which... eh... Steigerwald...

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Jeff Taylor of Union with a goal and 3 assists in a 6-1 over Princeton tonight.

There's my sleeper pick! Awesome. After quieting off for a few games, he roars back tonight. 2 assists primary, 2 assists on the PP. Princeton probably is not a great opponent, but Taylor has almost equaled his last season's point production in almost 30 fewer games. Let's hope he can maintain his play thus far through the rest of the season. This is a prospect I'm legitimately excited about.

AlanMSaunders

Aug 25, 2005
Pittsburgh
That was the point, though. The four players you listed regularly played as freshmen for Boston College, arguably the top college program in the nation over the last ten years. When we drafted Nick D'Agostino out of Jr. A at least he immediately became a top 4 guy for Cornell. Birks basically is a scratch on Michigan Tech, a no-name program in the watered down new WCHA. He was already drafted as a long shot but if he stays inactive for a whole season he'll end up really far behind the curve. Birks will likely turn 24 before ever playing a pro game. Shero could've picked some forward prospect from major juniors instead and we'd know much earlier what we'll get out of it.

Samuelsson and Sneep both played a year in the USHL. D'agostino played Jr-A. Like I said, you could argue that he'd better served by playing in one of those leagues than just practicing and redshirting, but it's hardly reason to call him a bust. Especially when getting even a bottom-pair D out of a 6th rd pick would be considered a win.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I can't think of any current or former NHLers (even a cup-of-coffee guy) that redshirted. So yeah he should be written off.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
There's just no reason for a drafted player to ever be redshirted at Michigan friggin' Tech. If you're not going to play, then play another year in the BCHL if you're hoping on having a career in hockey.

I won't say I'm writing him off entirely, but I'm certainly not expecting much from a 6th rounder who wasn't good enough to play for Michigan Tech as a 19 year-old.

penguins2946*

Well there you go.

He's too dumb to get into Michigan friggin' Tech.

Michigan Tech really isn't a bad school. The SAT score range is 1590-1945, which really aren't bad scores. I got a 1950 and I'm at Pitt. Still, it sucks that we basically wasted a draft pick on a guy who can't keep his grades high enough to actually play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad