Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Derick Pouliot having another one of "those" nights. In a 10-2 blowout, he was scored a G + an A, and was a +5, and no PIMs.

http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/65635

On a side note, on a non-Pens prospect: Shea Theodore is having an excellent season thus far: also scored a G+A tonight, and has put up excellent numbers this year, leading the league in goals and only 8 PIMs, lowest among the highest scoring Dmen in the Dub.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I'm weird-ed out at the idea that this team finally has some decent goaltending prospects...I feel like there's a catch coming soon.

I don't think there's a catch. I just think it's a combo of the organization addressing a need, having the guts (or smarts) to roll the dice on multiple G's in the draft (2 last year, 1 this year), and a really sought after college UFA (Hartzell) who chose to sign with us. I think it's a combination of simply addressing a need in a very intelligent way, and a fortunate situation, even if not surprising, that most/all of our goalies seem to be playing well at their respective levels right now.

Nobody is suggesting that all 4 guys are going to be Vezina candidates, but I give the Pens kudos for identifying and addressing this need, and having the guts to make the moves. The more dice you roll, the greater the probability you will find success, and I think we're in a position that one or two of these guys are going to emerge as legit #1 goalie prospects. The Pens looked around and realized that they didn't want to be the next Flyers of the last few years or the next Oilers of today. And I think they've done a great job of setting us up every well...with no catch, IMO. Just solid, safe and smart, that's all.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Derick Pouliot having another one of "those" nights. In a 10-2 blowout, he was scored a G + an A, and was a +5, and no PIMs.

http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/65635

On a side note, on a non-Pens prospect: Shea Theodore is having an excellent season thus far: also scored a G+A tonight, and has put up excellent numbers this year, leading the league in goals and only 8 PIMs, lowest among the highest scoring Dmen in the Dub.

As much as I like Pouliot's offensive IQ, I was expecting more production from a top 10 pick a year removed from the draft on arguably the most stacked offensive team in junior.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thanks for the link, Burgs. Nice to see him having some success and playing with the big boys but man, he needs to work on his skating, which I'm sure is something he'll have time to do. Hope he can get there.

I was horrified when I saw Oscar's skating at the prospects tourney. He had become one of my favorite prospects via the Interwebs, but when I actually saw him play it was another matter.

Sundqvist can still develop, We have seen prospects dramatically improve their skating. But it's no sure thing. Hopefully he comes around - I really like the rest of his game.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Wow. Jarry had B2B SO's!

Hartzell is currently 2.95 GAA through 3 games for Wheeling.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
As much as I like Pouliot's offensive IQ, I was expecting more production from a top 10 pick a year removed from the draft on arguably the most stacked offensive team in junior.

I'm more interested in seeing his defensive game develop. He has to be hard to play against and learn when to take risks and when to back off. His offensive game is already NHL level, he put up PPG numbers the year after he was drafted, and we all saw how good he is on the rush and powerplay in training camp this year.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

Portland took a big hit in the last couple years in terms of losing some very productive, high end offensive players (Rattie, Leipsic, etc.). Yes, they still have some fire power, but certainly less than last year.

That said, I have no issues with Derrick Pouliot's output. This guy is NOT going to be Erik Karlsson -- i.e. a Dman with a realistic shot at cracking 100pts for the first time since Brian Leetch -- or perhaps even a point-per-game type Dman. Pouliot's strength is really in his playmaking, transition game, and ability to see the ice and QB the power play. This should lead to good numbers, but this guy's innate skill in these areas is undeniable. What is going to determine just how good this guy can be is not these offensive skills or output, since that is beyond doubt IMO, but rather whether he can develop the complete game and physical play of a guy like Kris Letang, or his idol, Drew Doughty.

I was horrified when I saw Oscar's skating at the prospects tourney. He had become one of my favorite prospects via the Interwebs, but when I actually saw him play it was another matter.

Sundqvist can still develop, We have seen prospects dramatically improve their skating. But it's no sure thing. Hopefully he comes around - I really like the rest of his game.

It's not only that his skating is so weak & laborious -- because we've seen guys who aren't great skaters who have been great players in the NHL -- but it's the complete antithesis of what "Penguins Hockey" is all about. Dustin Jeffrey, who deserves credit for the work that he's put in and how is an above-average skater who has some legit quickness, looks like Pavel f*in' Bure compared to Sundqvist.

Now, the Pens brass will know the back story on this player better than anyone else: how he has performed in fitness testing, what training & power skating he has or has not done in the past, etc., so they would be in a better position to gauge just how much growth & improvement he does or doesn't have. But yeah, I'm with you: I thought he could be, perhaps, a guy who could one day replace Brandon Sutter on the 3rd line one day. But after seeing his skating, he's got a long way to go before he's a serious threat to be able to fill that kind of role for us in the NHL.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
It's not only that his skating is so weak & laborious -- because we've seen guys who aren't great skaters who have been great players in the NHL -- but it's the complete antithesis of what "Penguins Hockey" is all about. Dustin Jeffrey, who deserves credit for the work that he's put in and how is an above-average skater who has some legit quickness, looks like Pavel f*in' Bure compared to Sundqvist.

Now, the Pens brass will know the back story on this player better than anyone else: how he has performed in fitness testing, what training & power skating he has or has not done in the past, etc., so they would be in a better position to gauge just how much growth & improvement he does or doesn't have. But yeah, I'm with you: I thought he could be, perhaps, a guy who could one day replace Brandon Sutter on the 3rd line one day. But after seeing his skating, he's got a long way to go before he's a serious threat to be able to fill that kind of role for us in the NHL.

If we're patient, Sundqvist will arrive when the new regime is in place...hopefully one who values HOCKEY SENSE far more than this one.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
If we're patient, Sundqvist will arrive when the new regime is in place...hopefully one who values HOCKEY SENSE far more than this one.

Simple question: how does this regime not value hockey sense?

My take on this, they value it quite highly. Have you read any of their reviews of picks and prospects, or pro players for that matter. Have you read the reviews of Pens picks and prospects by unbiased or independent sources? If you have, hockey sense seems to be a VERY common theme.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Simple question: how does this regime not value hockey sense?

My take on this, they value it quite highly. Have you read any of their reviews of picks and prospects, or pro players for that matter. Have you read the reviews of Pens picks and prospects by unbiased or independent sources? If you have, hockey sense seems to be a VERY common theme.

NOT at the NHL level, that's for sure.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
https://twitter.com/PensNation_Andy/status/401003023599931392

which would indicate that he's finally recovered from his injury...

This is great news. And yes, indeed, and this looks like a conditioning stint. Provided he plays well and when he recovers fully and in game shape, who will he replace in the line-up? Well, if there isn't a trade consummated (or a call up) before that happens, my guess is he'll play the right side with Dumoulin, and either D'Agostino or McNeill goes down to Wheeling to get more icetime.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
@H_P_Hockey the WBS blogger is live twetting the PSU-UMass Lowell game:

Highland Park Hockey ‏@H_P_Hockey 59m
Keeping an eye on Wilson for #Pens fans and he looks good, feeding a puck from the corner into the slot. Like what I see from him so far.

Highland Park Hockey ‏@H_P_Hockey 54m
Scott Wilson on the first power play unit for UMass Lowell. He's an alternate captain for the visitors.

Highland Park Hockey ‏@H_P_Hockey 36m
Wilson blocks two shots from the point and out of frustration, checks the PSU defender who shot the puck into him. PSU with a late chance.

Highland Park Hockey ‏@H_P_Hockey 8m
Scott Wilson (#Pens 7th rd pick 2011), has scored to make it 2-0 UMass Lowell. That's a goal and an assist for him tonight.

https://twitter.com/H_P_Hockey

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Hartzell with a 37 save shutout tonight in a 1-0 win. He's at 4 GP .933 Sv% & 2.22 GAA. Neither of WBS's current goalies are exactly lighting the world on fire early on; hopefully he's back in the A before too long.

Ruopp also made his season debut with Wheeling.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Hartzell with a 37 save shut-out tonight in a 1-0 win. He's at 4 GP .933 Sv% & 2.22 GAA. Neither of WBS's current goalies are exactly lighting the world on fire early on; hopefully he's back in the A before too long.

Ruopp also made his season debut with Wheeling.

If you take that 1st game as his "welcome to pro hockey" game and just go by his past 3 games where he's settled in, he's been freakin' phenomenal.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Nice to see Hartzell getting a shutout considering how bleh the Wheeling defense is this season...looks like he is establishing himself fast. Delmas has been recalled to Hamilton so he's up against Mike Condon for #1 now.

In WBS both Deslauriers and Mannino are on standard AHL contracts so either can be sent to the Nailers to make room for Hartzell. Hartzell should be replacing one of them by Christmas, it's not like he's 20 and just out of juniors.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I hope for good things from Hartzell, Jarry, Murray. They wont all pan out, maybe none do at the NHL level but maybe we can get atleast 1 good NHL goalie out of them.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Jarry wins again, stopped 29 of 31. He's still at only 1.20 GAA in November and over .950 save%

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Nice to see Hartzell getting a shutout considering how bleh the Wheeling defense is this season...looks like he is establishing himself fast. Delmas has been recalled to Hamilton so he's up against Mike Condon for #1 now.

In WBS both Deslauriers and Mannino are on standard AHL contracts so either can be sent to the Nailers to make room for Hartzell. Hartzell should be replacing one of them by Christmas, it's not like he's 20 and just out of juniors.
I think Deslauriers is still on a 25 game tryout.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad