Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
I think Deslauriers is still on a 25 game tryout.

You're right. I thought they had extended him from PTO to standard contract but in fact the extension he signed was from camp tryout to 25 game PTO. But since he's been way better than Mannino so far it may not mean much.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Skillful minded biscuit scorer to the ECHL.

@H_P_Hockey: The #WBSPens have sent forward Anton Zlobin to the @WheelingNailers. Zlobin made his pro debut Sunday, but will get playing time in ECHL.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

From the article:

As for why Jarry has been on a tear since a somewhat rocky September, where he posted a .855 save percentage and 4.38 average in four games, the Pittsburgh Penguins second-round pick credits his ‘practice habits.’

“I think (I’ve been playing well lately) because I play like I practice,†says Jarry. “I’ve cleaned up my practice habits from the very start of the year. I’ve been just cleaning up the little things that make a difference. I’ve noticed it in games and I just need to continue to practice hard to have success in games.â€

Wow who knew that actually trying in practice rather than spinning and doing stupid **** would allow one to play better. I know now isn't the time to rag on Fleury, but this kid sounds like he has his head on his shoulders.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Great to see Jarry live up to his draft hype. His hot streak has now lasted over a month: 9-2-0-1 with a 1.32 GAA, .950 SP and 3 shutouts since Oct 11.

This is the right choice. Kid hasn't played in forever, so let him go down there for a conditioning stint where he can get big minutes and try to gain some confidence.

At least he had time to work on his Letang-lite flow.

ZlobinPIT.jpg

Speaking of the ECHL

Didn't Wheeling sign Alex Velischek? I don't see him anywhere on their roster. Does anyone know where he is?

Didn't survive the final cut a month ago, was released and is now a free agent. Obviously ECHL contracts aren't guaranteed.

Some other PA connections on the Nailers are Pat McGrath (first Wilkes-Barre hockey product - tough middleweight fighter type) and Pittsburgh native Gentry Zollars (now that's a hockey name).

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

An invite to the WJC for Jarry would elevate his status as a prospect and be a great test for him. I hope he can earn his spot on Team Canada. It'd be great to see him play against international competition. Having 3 shutouts already is eye popping.

This is taken from the BU hockey blog: http://terrierhockey.blogspot.com/

Sean Maguire, who will start for BU, has a .941 save percentage—eight best nationally— and a 2.03 GAA, but a lack of offense has resulted in just one win in his four previous starts.

khaoskennedy

Aug 6, 2010
Western, PA
Great to see Jarry live up to his draft hype. His hot streak has now lasted over a month: 9-2-0-1 with a 1.32 GAA, .950 SP and 3 shutouts since Oct 11.

At least he had time to work on his Letang-lite flow.

ZlobinPIT.jpg

Didn't survive the final cut a month ago, was released and is now a free agent. Obviously ECHL contracts aren't guaranteed.

Some other PA connections on the Nailers are Pat McGrath (first Wilkes-Barre hockey product - tough middleweight fighter type) and Pittsburgh native Gentry Zollars (now that's a hockey name).

thanks, figured he just didn't make the team

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
This is taken from the BU hockey blog: http://terrierhockey.blogspot.com/

Sean Maguire, who will start for BU, has a .941 save percentage—eight best nationally— and a 2.03 GAA, but a lack of offense has resulted in just one win in his four previous starts.

It's unfortunate that he is in a 1A-1B situation there, despite having clearly separating himself last season and so far this season from the other goalie. If he keeps up this level of play throughout his career, he could have a legitimate shot at the NHL in some capacity. He passed the eye test as well in the tournament games I saw last season. Maybe not as athletic as some other prospects, but he had a good sense of being consistenly squared and centered to the shooter.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I have only recently started following prospects other than a quick look at rankings here and there and had a question about the forward prospects.

Do any of them have the go to the net "gene" that appears to be lacking with the current roster. I really would be nice to have a home grown forward that could cash in the occasional rebound and draw defensemen to the net and open up some space for Crosby/Malkin in a few years.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
No Ruopp tonight for Wheeling, hopefully he didn't re-aggravate his injury on his first game back.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What is the injury anyway? Seems like it happened pretty early in camp- possibly even the off-season.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
What is the injury anyway? Seems like it happened pretty early in camp- possibly even the off-season.

I'm not sure why I think it's a shoulder. I couldn't find any concrete info on the matter when I tried to look it up a while back but for some reason I think it's a shoulder injury but I don't know for certain. One other reason I think it may be a shoulder is that he's been practicing for some time with WBS, but I doubt he was taking anything near game-level contact and taking real contact for the first time with a potential shoulder problem is the type of injury that could re-occur easily.

About 98% of the preceding is baseless observation but I can't shake the feeling I read/heard it was a shoulder injury somewhere along the line. Hell, it may be nothing, it might be a planned day off since Wheeling plays 3 games in 3 days.

Edit: The legend of the skillful-minded biscuit scorer continues. 2 assists through 2 periods for Wheeling.

Last edited:

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Nate Wells ‏@gopherstate 2m
Teddy Blueger is being helped off the ice, limping. Headed straight to the locker room.

https://twitter.com/gopherstate/status/401535834253320192

Nate Wells ‏@gopherstate 47s
Blueger's injury reminded me - Notre Dame's Vince Hinostroza is out 2-4 weeks after the hit with Serratore last week.

https://twitter.com/gopherstate/status/401536326903660544

MN State Of Hockey ‏@MNState0fHockey 4m
Teddy Blueger down. Looks pretty hurt. Hope he's ok. Good player.

https://twitter.com/MNState0fHockey/status/401535801265119233

edit: he's back on the bench...

Nate Wells ‏@gopherstate 2m
Mavericks kill the penalty. Blueger is back on the Minnesota State bench.

https://twitter.com/gopherstate/status/401536487931404289

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Edit: The legend of the skillful-minded biscuit scorer continues. 2 assists through 2 periods for Wheeling.

Make that 3 assists for Zlobin. He had the primary helper on each of Chaz Johnson's hat trick tallies.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Nebraska-Omaha is playing #2 Michigan on CBS Sports Net. Archibald (#15) and Guentzel (#20) playing for UNO.

Archibald leads the team in goals this season, good faceoff guy.

UNO can't stay out of the box. End of 2, Michigan leads 2-1 scoring 2 late PPGs.

Last edited:

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Definitely nice goal to put the Mavs up 3-2.

Only thing that I've really noticed from Guentzel was a nice faceoff win on the PK.

Big win for UNO, solid game from Archibald. Can't beat getting the GWG.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Pens fans: "We need less grinders!"
Worse than a legit 4th like NHL grinder gets promoted: "Omg, I'm so heppeh!!"

:facepalm: this fanbase deserve every infuriating thing it encounters.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Pens fans: "We need less grinders!"
Worse than a legit 4th like NHL grinder gets promoted: "Omg, I'm so heppeh!!"

:facepalm: this fanbase deserve every infuriating thing it encounters.

We need proper grinders rather than fluff. Adams doesn't grind *****es down anymore, Sutter is a big softy. Vitale and Glass do OK, D'Ags and Bennett try too but they're not really making anyone think twice either.

We don't have a Rupp or Cooke or Staal anymore that make people go shiiiiiiiiii when they're retrieving pucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad