Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins lead up to the trade deadline - Help needed, please apply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The rest of this season's such an unpredictable mess. Heading into the summer, I'd run with this;

Jake-Sid-Kahun
Zucker-Geno-Rust
McCann-??-Hornqvist
Simon-Blueger-Tanev
ZAR

Dumo-Letang
??-Marino
Petts-Riikola

Jarry
Murray

Move Bjugs. Move JJ. Let Schultz walk. Try and find a 3C so McCann can move back to wing (or find a 3LW if you're happy with McCann as 3C). Find a LD partner for Marino; a guy with scoring punch and the potential to grow with Marino to become our top pairing in a few years. Certainly not an easy or cheap task, but one that needs to be done, imo. I still don't have faith in Petts as that 2LD right now. I understand that we just handed him 2nd pairing money, but the dude's not good enough and doesn't have the skillset to be that LD compliment to Marino.

Real, real close to being as perfect a lineup as possible heading into the final years of the Sid/Geno/Letang era's window. Just a couple more moves and we should be primed for serious Cup runs for the next few years.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
The rest of this season's such an unpredictable mess. Heading into the summer, I'd run with this;

Jake-Sid-Kahun
Zucker-Geno-Rust
McCann-??-Hornqvist
Simon-Blueger-Tanev
ZAR

Dumo-Letang
??-Marino
Petts-Riikola

Jarry
Murray

Move Bjugs. Move JJ. Let Schultz walk. Try and find a 3C so McCann can move back to wing (or find a 3LW if you're happy with McCann as 3C). Find a LD partner for Marino; a guy with scoring punch and the potential to grow with Marino to become our top pairing in a few years. Certainly not an easy or cheap task, but one that needs to be done, imo. I still don't have faith in Petts as that 2LD right now. I understand that we just handed him 2nd pairing money, but the dude's not good enough and doesn't have the skillset to be that LD compliment to Marino.

Real, real close to being as perfect a lineup as possible heading into the final years of the Sid/Geno/Letang era's window. Just a couple more moves and we should be primed for serious Cup runs for the next few years.
Good chance one of Murray or Jarry will need to be traded. If that has to happen I really hope they can get a 1st. A Schneider-like return would be wonderful.

Also I'd keep McCann at C. Maybe see if Bjug can return a bottom-pair D

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Good chance one of Murray or Jarry will need to be traded. If that has to happen I really hope they can get a 1st. A Schneider-like return would be wonderful.

Honestly if MM finishes the season well I imagine a pick around 10-15 should be reasonable value. Though it also might be a 2nd+good prospect.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Honestly if MM finishes the season well I imagine a pick around 10-15 should be reasonable value. Though it also might be a 2nd+good prospect.
I'd take a mid-1st for Murray and sprint away laughing. Holy shit. :laugh:

I don't see this team trading either goalie, but if we can get a great return on Murray, I'd pull the trigger.

Doubt Bjugs has any real value. I'd say cap space is better than anything a team would be willing to give us. I'm perfectly fine with a Petts-Riikola bottom pairing, especially if we can land that 2LD and play the top two pairing for the vast majority of the game.

I don't mind McCann at 3C, but I do think he's always had a bigger impact as a winger, and he's better there. Whichever is easier to get, 3C or 3LW, put McCann at the other position. Emphasis on skating and two-way play, if possible.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I'd take a mid-1st for Murray and sprint away laughing. Holy ****. :laugh:

I don't see this team trading either goalie, but if we can get a great return on Murray, I'd pull the trigger.

Doubt Bjugs has any real value. I'd say cap space is better than anything a team would be willing to give us. I'm perfectly fine with a Petts-Riikola bottom pairing, especially if we can land that 2LD and play the top two pairing for the vast majority of the game.

I don't mind McCann at 3C, but I do think he's always had a bigger impact as a winger, and he's better there. Whichever is easier to get, 3C or 3LW, put McCann at the other position. Emphasis on skating and two-way play, if possible.

I think MM has the pedigree to ask for a mid First. Young, starter, cups. You can paint it up for a team desperate for a good option.

Funny I think of McCann opposite. I like him at C, him at wing feels off. But also could be just that him as a wing for Sid/Geno doesn't look right.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think MM has the pedigree to ask for a mid First. Young, starter, cups. You can paint it up for a team desperate for a good option.

Funny I think of McCann opposite. I like him at C, him at wing feels off. But also could be just that him as a wing for Sid/Geno doesn't look right.
Yeah, I'm not sure he has the skillset to be a top-6 winger, but he's a perfect 3rd line winger. Although I thought the same about Rust up until this season, so maybe McCann can grow into that.

Reactions: Flying Dego

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA

Jake-Sid-Kahun
Zucker-Geno-Rust
McCann-??-Hornqvist
Simon-Blueger-Tanev
ZAR

Dumo-Letang
??-Marino
Petts-Riikola

Jarry
Murray

I would keep McCann at 3c simply because I think it's easier to find a 3rd line LW then a legit 3C which I think McCann is already

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Maybe it's just me but I rather not have Blue as our 3C until he does not totally suck at faceoffs. Get to atleast 51-52%
51-52% gets you to around 2nd line center, sometimes 1st line, based on nhl.com stats with players with atleast 500 faceoffs taken.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Maybe it's just me but I rather not have Blue as our 3C until he does not totally suck at faceoffs. Get to atleast 51-52%
I don't want him at 3C regardless of his faceoff ability. Him at 3C means someone barely NHL-caliber is centering the 4th line. Aim higher than that. If Blueger is the 4C we're in a good spot.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
We're one of the best teams in the league with major injuries and Blueger playing 3C minutes.

Add a vet 4C faceoff guy if need be and if you're keeping McCann on wing.

Reactions: Hamurai

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't want him at 3C regardless of his faceoff ability. Him at 3C means someone barely NHL-caliber is centering the 4th line. Aim higher than that. If Blueger is the 4C we're in a good spot.

I am happy with Bloogs at 3C in isolation but I do love over the top depth as described here.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
We're one of the best teams in the league with major injuries and Blueger playing 3C minutes.

Add a vet 4C faceoff guy if need be and if you're keeping McCann on wing.

Getzlaf @ 50% or Thornton.

I think Getz would be awesome to have - but at the retention needed would cost us a premium. Either player would likely be a really strong asset in the chippier/slower playoffs.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Because you’re watching him play against 4th liners (when he’s trusted to play at all) while Pettersson is playing 2nd liners.

MP is looking alot like Maatta in getting beat off the rush. He's really hesitant in supporting the play as well.

I get players like that have their uses, but it's sort of annoying we trade Maatta and then just literally replace him at the same cap number.

Not a huge deal, but minor annoyance for me.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm taking the completely uneducated stance in that Bjugstad isn't coming back because he doesn't want to be traded. Major foot dragging.

Then again, if GMJR really/truly isn't considering trading him - I'm okay with him sitting on the LTIR. Guy has been absolutely worthless. If/when he does come back - I really hope he does a 180 because it's easy to imagine a scenario where he hurts the makeup of this roster.
Bjugstad still being out and not ready just really bothers me considering Crosby has been back like a month and Bjugstad should have been back a week after him and at this point will be back what, maybe 2 months after Sid? If even that? Something doesn't sit right with me about his injury and recovery.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
MP is looking alot like Maatta in getting beat off the rush. He's really hesitant in supporting the play as well.

I get players like that have their uses, but it's sort of annoying we trade Maatta and then just literally replace him at the same cap number.

I'm not a Pettersson fan but I hope to be proven wrong by him and his game. But so far I'm still not a fan of how easily he is beat along the boards and basically his entire game.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Zucker - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kahun - Malkin - Rust
Simon - McCann - Bjugstad/Rental
Aston-Reese - Blueger - Tanev

Only question in my mind is the mix on the 3rd line.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Maatta has been a #4-5 throughout his career and that is worth 3 - 4 mil in today’s NHL.

Pettersson is a net 0 on the ice. He does his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad