Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins lead up to the trade deadline - Help needed, please apply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Continue. Last few posts.

One more thing tying into my earlier posts.

I disagree when people say the third goal was on Sid as much as Letang. Yes, Sid should ideally also play that better, but it was a one goal game with half the game to play. Sully’s best cliche for this team is “take what the game gives you”, and no one needs that imprinted on him more than 58, because when he does he is great.
Letang going for a 40/60 pinch deep in the opponents third is gambling big time.
Do it when we’re desperate ONLY, least of all when it is a tight game, unless it is late and we need a goal of course. That’s basically all the reigning in I ask for with Letang.

When we won without Letang in 17’ a major reason was that we did not gift away much and trusted offense to do enough eventually. He MUST show better judgement, or it is extremely likely that those easy goals against will be just like this one come showtime. Like we have honestly seen it way too many times before.

From Russo via the Wild board:

I think the telling thing here is that other teams know who Zucker put on his NTC. This Russo comment could be about Pittsburgh, but I think it could also be about someone like Calgary, who's also a strong possibility to be on Zucker's NTC and be interested in him.

LeBrun thinks we might have an interest in Simmonds. Speculation more than reporting.

No thanks

Hoping we trade Chucky, Bjugstad, Schultz, 1st, prospect and get 1 winger top 6, 1 depth winger and 1 D man.

(X) Press X to doubt

Simmonds really doesn't make sense because he's a bad top-6 player on a bad team at this point. Maybe he makes sense as the depth veteran forward, but that's about it. He's a guy that's on par with Kovalchuk, not a top-6 player on a playoff team.

Stuff like this would sour me on wanting him in Pittsburgh, we have had enough toxic drama over the past decade and we've seen how it has sandbagged our locker room over the past two seasons in particular.

Letang wasn't on the ice for the 3rd goal ? iirc

....because he goes on twitter??? lol

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
While I'm dropping little nuggets for conversation starters, just saw this in the trade forum:

"Pierre LeBrun said the Ducks are essentially listening on everyone, but they're not giving players away and that a deal is more likely to be done in the off season."

Commence Rakell + Fowler watch

:sarcasm:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
While I'm dropping little nuggets for conversation starters, just saw this in the trade forum:

"Pierre LeBrun said the Ducks are essentially listening on everyone, but they're not giving players away and that a deal is more likely to be done in the off season."

Commence Rakell + Fowler watch

:sarcasm:

I'll take one hampus Linholm please.

i wonder if struggling Manson could be had. hes been awful but was very good before this year.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
How much would it take to trade this injury/accident demon to another team??

I'm willing to back the truck up.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
How much would it take to trade this injury/accident demon to another team??

I'm willing to back the truck up.

It is the source of all our powers though. Like Uncle Ben said - strike us down and we shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I’m starting to get on the get a defenseman too bandwagon. This defense isn’t good enough if Dumoulin gets hurt again. If they aren’t going to trust Riikola then replace him with a LD who you will, Ruh ain’t it.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’m starting to get on the get a defenseman too bandwagon. This defense isn’t good enough if Dumoulin gets hurt again. If they aren’t going to trust Riikola then replace him with a LD who you will, Ruh ain’t it.
Yeah, mostly I’m very worried about Dumo being able to play like his normal self when he returns...the fact that he’s not even skating yet worries me...remember how awful Schultz was returning from his ankle injury last year...we’d be fine with Dumo playing like his normal self but if we don’t get that I don’t think we’ll make it...

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Makes a ton of sense for the Ducks to collect a bunch of 1sts and 2nds for the assets they have. The fact that it makes sense has me believe they won't do it. Never understood how some teams (MTL, ANA, WPG, etc) cling to pretty good - yet don't make big splashes in either direction.

Definitely some assets on Anaheim that would be at the top of my list - before Saad, Kreider, or the dude who's been mentioned here 40k times.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Don't want to part with Hallander, but a distant second 2021 and him for Zucker is enticing. GMJR mat be able to part with Hallander and take on Zuckers contract. In any event, I still like Smith from the Preds as well. AG traded for a mid round or possibly low third is moved for Smith.

Zucker Sid Smith
Kahun Geno Rust
McCann Bjugstad Horny
Reese TB Simon/Lafferty/Angelo

Reactions: Trade and Dominance

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I feel like issues with the defense mostly revolve around the fact that Schultz and JJ aren't very good. Schultz has been ass since he signed his contract extension and JJ has been even worse than that outside of a run that he had with Marino to start this year. I think the defense is overall fine with Dumoulin healthy, but the problems that the defense has aren't reasonably going to be addressed. The pairs are going to be Dumoulin-Letang, Pettersson-Marino and JJ-Schultz.

On Zucker, I'm starting to get a feeling that his value is going to be less than some are expecting here. You have a fairly similar player to Zucker that has been traded recently, it was Dzingel as a rental last year. Sure, Dzingel was a rental, but how much value does Zucker having 2 more years at $5.5 million really offer? That's a fairly hefty price when you can get players like Dzingel, Kahun and Johnsson can give you nearly as good results while costing $3-$3.5 million a year. Dzingel went for 2 2nds and Duclair (a reclamation project at the time), so purely in value, I think Galchenyuk, Hallander and a 2nd may be enough for Zucker. Going from the 2nd to 1st isn't a huge jump, so I'd mostly be whatever on increasing the pick, but I feel like Galchenyuk, Hallander and a 1st is probably an overpayment for Zucker.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Don't want to part with Hallander, but a distant second 2021 and him for Zucker is enticing. GMJR mat be able to part with Hallander and take on Zuckers contract. In any event, I still like Smith from the Preds as well. AG traded for a mid round or possibly low third is moved for Smith.

Zucker Sid Smith
Kahun Geno Rust
McCann Bjugstad Horny
Reese TB Simon/Lafferty/Angelo
yeah, you most likely don't get someone like Zucker without moving something you don't really want to move.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
We need a bonafide top 6 left winger by the trade deadline. Anything less should be considered a failure on JR’s part.

Top six scoring winger has been a need for fifteen years.

ESPN has us trading for Zucker and parting with Hallander and a 2021 second...I wouldn’t do that but then again I don’t think Zucker is going to do much for us...

NHL experts propose six trades ahead of the deadline

Way too much. No way he matters that much to Pens chances. Note: I encourage selling farm for NHL players. And I still feel that's a bad deal.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
We haven't needed a LW as bad as we do right now since the day we traded for Kunitz.

Even at times that Sid had almost two actual players with him, Geno was standing there looking like Oliver flippin Twist.

I don't think they've ever had 4 actual top six wingers at any one time.

oliver-twist-please-sir-gif-7.gif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not going to say it's a failure on JR's part if there's just not a market of available top-6 forwards. It's not fair to criticize him for doing whatever it takes to get a top-6 forward when we don't know what "whatever it takes" means. Do you want to pay 3 1sts for Tomas Tatar? Of course not, but if that's the only option, are you going to say it was a failure that JR didn't make that move?

This deadline may shape up into being similar to the 2012 deadline, where there was almost no one of significance moved and prices were absurd (Paul Gaustad brought back a 1st). I'm not going to criticize JR for not pulling a rabbit out of his hat when the situation is like that.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yeah, mostly I’m very worried about Dumo being able to play like his normal self when he returns...the fact that he’s not even skating yet worries me...remember how awful Schultz was returning from his ankle injury last year...we’d be fine with Dumo playing like his normal self but if we don’t get that I don’t think we’ll make it...

Yeah, it feels like we haven’t obsessed over that enough or I’ve missed it. He had tendons damaged and almost 10 weeks later isn’t skating. You’ve got to wonder how his skating will look in the short and long term. Presumably the Pens (other than poor Sully who really does want to tell everyone) have some idea of how he’s progressing but they’re 2.5 weeks away from the TDL and he’s not skating yet. If he doesn’t get any games in before that or doesn’t have enough to know if it’s rust and will improve, it’s a shot in the dark.

Reactions: Andy99

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'm not going to say it's a failure on JR's part if there's just not a market of available top-6 forwards. It's not fair to criticize him for doing whatever it takes to get a top-6 forward when we don't know what "whatever it takes" means. Do you want to pay 3 1sts for Tomas Tatar? Of course not, but if that's the only option, are you going to say it was a failure that JR didn't make that move?

This deadline may shape up into being similar to the 2012 deadline, where there was almost no one of significance moved and prices were absurd (Paul Gaustad brought back a 1st). I'm not going to criticize JR for not pulling a rabbit out of his hat when the situation is like that.

I'd keep experimenting with Crosby/Malkin together and go after Pageau then. Honestly.

Liberty Biberty

Nov 15, 2010
Even at times that Sid had almost two actual players with him, Geno was standing there looking like Oliver flippin Twist.

I don't think they've ever had 4 actual top six wingers at any one time.
10-11, the year Malkin played with the rotating cast of Asham, Cooke, and Talbot and it was his fault he only had 37 points in 43 games until he blew his knee out.

Ironically enough, the times we had our best wings (arguably) were 2 of our biggest playoff failures ever (11-12 and 12-13)

Reactions: EightyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad