OT: Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst | Now with Drunken Rants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Yes, and just like with AAA gaming, the public generally hates it and it’s dying because people are catching on to it’s anti-consumer nature with the spread of new media.
Commerce. You can't get away from it. Amazes me this is news to anyone.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I post my fair share of garbage.

But Mackey articles are worse than ****. No offense, I think you'd read that article and think nothing was wrong with it.

No offense.
His recent article interviewing Hagelin ...
Yet one they could also flip, too. Hagelin’s on an expiring contract, which means that the last-place Kings will probably want to get something for someone with Hagelin’s pedigree.
Could that be the Penguins? It’s a little far-fetched, but Malkin hasn’t been the same player since Hagelin left. Current Penguins players wouldn’t mind, but Hagelin isn’t thinking about that.
Now, you'd think a beat reporter would know that the CBA would prevent that from happening:shakehead

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
They could trade him back, just couldnt retain more salary.

Not that it would ever happen but it could if we moved money out.

"A team cannot reacquire a player whom they have retained salary from for a minimum of one year after the date of the transaction, or unless the player's contract expires or is terminated prior to the one-year date" Source

So they can't reacquire him this season unless LA terminates his contract. GMJR could sign him this off season though, since he'll be UFA.

Last edited:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
"A team cannot reacquire a player whom they have retained salary from for a minimum of one year after the date of the transaction, or unless the player's contract expires or is terminated prior to the one-year date"
Source

Hmmm, i thought you couldnt reacquire a player that another team is holding money. Say trade a guy for a 6th and reacquire for a 3rd with salary retention. Guess im wrong on that one.

Reactions: DegenX

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
"A team cannot reacquire a player whom they have retained salary from for a minimum of one year after the date of the transaction, or unless the player's contract expires or is terminated prior to the one-year date" Source

So they can't reacquire him this season unless LA terminates his contract. GMJR could sign him this off season though, since he'll be UFA.
Not sure what kind of deal Hags will command on the open market. Speed is in demand but he’s soon-to-be 31 and having a terrible year production-wise.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
It’s not news? Me complaining about the quality and I’m not clicking is EQUALLY capitalism.
Absolutely. You want cogent, interesting commentary on sports, look to print media. Some random blog is nonsense? Not a big surprise.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

No but apparently you can trade a player, they get bought out, and then you re-sign the player for a cheaper salary. That's an absurd loophole.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Mackey is a cheese****. Seems pretty smug for being a Penguins beat reporter, and he’s not very good at it.

What he needs to do is start a controversial radio show and tweet obsessively in a negative light about a local athlete everybody likes.

Mark Madden. Playing everyone on Twitter like a fiddle!!!!

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Absolutely. You want cogent, interesting commentary on sports, look to print media. Some random blog is nonsense? Not a big surprise.

What? Print media is the worst. That’s the whole conversation :huh:

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
What? Print media is the worst. That’s the whole conversation :huh:
When you're deriding clickbait, that's content that's strictly internet, not print origin. Different business models. And no, print is not the worst, not close.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Does anyone know who Alan Saunders is? Saw some tweet about him basically trashing GMJR and giving him no credit for his Stanley Cups, lol.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Does anyone know who Alan Saunders is? Saw some tweet about him basically trashing GMJR and giving him no credit for his Stanley Cups, lol.

He's that guy who worked for DKPS and accused Dejan Kovacevic of spying on his Twitter DMs after he was fired.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Some ramzi abid freak can mow down on this as just "nothing.."

“Their expectation was for me to be a 50- or 60-point guy. What third-line center has 50-60 points? You’re limited somewhere — ice time or whatever.”
Lol...he definitely wasn't a good fit but jeez, they didn't even get that from Bones or Staal.

“I had a good relationship with Sully,” Brassard said, “Every time Sully and I had a conversation, he would always say, ‘I’ll find you more minutes.’
“But it wasn’t Sully’s fault. There was nothing else he could have done. There’s so much to manage on that team. It is what it is. It just wasn’t a good fit.”

I don't get what the rest of the coaching staff does, is Recchi not trusted for anything but a bad comb over and whatever pencils he sharpens before meetings?

I still think Tocchet or at least a veteran assistant coach is sorely needed on this team. I wish they snagged up Ulf Samuelsson asap. Even if you don't fire Rex until after the season, you snag a guy like Ulf. He's a perfect fit with his coaching philosophy.
‘Not an easy thing to do’
Brassard also found it difficult to penetrate the Penguins’ leadership structure, spearheaded by Crosby, Malkin and others.
He said it was too hard to come in as an outsider and feel part of the group given what the Penguins’ core had accomplished together. It was similar to what Trevor Daley experienced in Chicago a couple years ago before coming to Pittsburgh and thriving.
“Yes, they have good guys, they make you feel unbelievable, their organization, staff, everyone is unreal,” Brassard said. “But the fact that they have star power, they won, it’s the same core and everything … you’re coming in as a new guy, and it’s not an easy thing to do.”
Ultimately, though, it came down to the mental side of things.
Brassard wasn’t comfortable, and the Penguins weren’t getting what they wanted out of him. Which is why Brassard said he fully expected to get moved when he did.

You can tell he's back peddling a ton, he wants to say it was tough, maybe clique-ish or something? But he then says they were amazing. So I don't get it. We get countless fluff pieces, even one about Bjugstad right now about how good of a fit he is and how nice is he, we got the same crap about Brassard. So I don't get how he couldn't "mesh" with that leadership group.
Derick Brassard opens up about failed trade, Penguins tenure

Last edited:
Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I’ve said this numerous times, but if your personality is so trash that as a media person friggin Crosby shuns you, it’s time to sell ice cream.
You have to be a special kind of douche to make the most humble guy in all of sports quit something because of something stupid you said.

Isn't Rossi on The Athletic? Lol

How does Rossi hear and read the stuff people say about him and just keep on living life?
People keep paying him to say stupid shit. That's the most frustrating thing. He can be a tool all he wants, but if he were to finally just get shunned for his crap, things would change.

TSN for a long time and even Sportsnet, used him as a "Pittsburgh Penguins expert" if that isn't funny enough already.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Some ramzi abid freak can mow down on this as just "nothing.."

Lol...he definitely wasn't a good fit but jeez, they didn't even get that from Bones or Staal.

I don't get what the rest of the coaching staff does, is Recchi not trusted for anything but a bad comb over and whatever pencils he sharpens before meetings?

I still think Tocchet or at least a veteran assistant coach is sorely needed on this team. I wish they snagged up Ulf Samuelsson asap. Even if you don't fire Rex until after the season, you snag a guy like Ulf. He's a perfect fit with his coaching philosophy.

You can tell he's back peddling a ton, he wants to say it was tough, maybe clique-ish or something? But he then says they were amazing. So I don't get it. We get countless fluff pieces, even one about Bjugstad right now about how good of a fit he is and how nice is he, we got the same crap about Brassard. So I don't get how he couldn't "mesh" with that leadership group.
Derick Brassard opens up about failed trade, Penguins tenure

This might be me reading too much into it but this comes across as damage control by Brassard. He wants to make excuses or find reasons why he didn't play very well that was out of his control without actually bashing his former team flat out and coming across as sour. Given his age, he's about to sign his last big contract. He wants to convince other teams he's still a top 6 forward and deserves to be paid like one. His play on the ice the past year hasn't shown that. It's costing him money and he knows it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad