OT: Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst | Now with Drunken Rants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Brassard comes off as an absolute cry baby in that article. It’s no wonder he didn’t fit in because he sounds like some weirdo emotional dude. He got the opportunity to play with Kessel on a “third” line and couldn’t cut it. That’s no one’s fault but his. Not Sully’s, not the core group, not anyone, but himself. Screw him.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This might be me reading too much into it but this comes across as damage control by Brassard. He wants to make excuses or find reasons why he didn't play very well that was out of his control without actually bashing his former team flat out and coming across as sour. Given his age, he's about to sign his last big contract. He wants to convince other teams he's still a top 6 forward and deserves to be paid like one. His play on the ice the past year hasn't shown that. It's costing him money and he knows it.

I believe Hainsey said something similar and I'm not shocked by it. He didn't say he was failed either but it was a mutual failing and it's true. It was never a good fit and JR should have seen that. Sheahan rebounds and their next move is to demolish that and put him in a 4th role and get a guy that they thought fit on paper but never did on the ice.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
This might be me reading too much into it but this comes across as damage control by Brassard. He wants to make excuses or find reasons why he didn't play very well that was out of his control without actually bashing his former team flat out and coming across as sour. Given his age, he's about to sign his last big contract. He wants to convince other teams he's still a top 6 forward and deserves to be paid like one. His play on the ice the past year hasn't shown that. It's costing him money and he knows it.

Exactly. I wouldn't read much into this other than a player trying to explain the unexplainable.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I believe Hainsey said something similar and I'm not shocked by it. He didn't say he was failed either but it was a mutual failing and it's true. It was never a good fit and JR should have seen that. Sheahan rebounds and their next move is to demolish that and put him in a 4th role and get a guy that they thought fit on paper but never did on the ice.

?? Hainsey won a cup in Pittsburgh playing a bigger role than he probably should have.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Brassard comes off as an absolute cry baby in that article. It’s no wonder he didn’t fit in because he sounds like some weirdo emotional dude. He got the opportunity to play with Kessel on a “third” line and couldn’t cut it. That’s no one’s fault but his. Not Sully’s, not the core group, not anyone, but himself. Screw him.

This is a strange way to look at it. He had no control over a team trading for him that had no top 6 spots open for him, the ice time he had before, as well as top PP time. He didn't PK to be able to gain minutes back.

He had a real gripe to be upset about that. In a contract year no less. He was essentially a straight 5 on 5 guy who did still manage respectable (I didn't say great) numbers losing anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes of quality ice time. For a offensive C that's a lot over that span of 50+ games.

Brassard isn't the bad guy in this scenario, just miscast by a GM/HC who thought he'd thrive here.

You need 5 on 5 strong players to play that position and get more ice time PKing. The 3c isn't gonna touch the #1 PP here without injury to Sid or Geno.

Maybe had the Pens tried something like Pearson, Brassard, Malkin he might have worked out well enough and freed up Malkin to rover like he does. Who knows, that's not an option now.

In the end it's no ones fault but who brought him in thinking he could, with less.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Hainsey came out and said “they” multiple times during the runs and said he had a tough time fitting in after moving onto Toronto.

Gotcha. I guess I recall that now that you mention it. My guess is that happens on every team. Sometimes you just aren't a fit I guess, but he was still a useful player on the ice, while Brass really wasn't.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Gotcha. I guess I recall that now that you mention it. My guess is that happens on every team. Sometimes you just aren't a fit I guess, but he was still a useful player on the ice, while Brass really wasn't.

In the end are UFA TDL players who were going to leave gonna establish any kind of roots anywhere without being seen as a guy who'll be around longer? The Pens D-corps at the time of the trade were also full of injuries.

Hainsey's addition coincides with news that Pittsburgh defenseman Kris Letang is day to day with an upper-body injury and defenseman Trevor Daley will miss six weeks after knee surgery. Defensemen Justin Schultz (concussion), who practiced in a regular contact jersey Thursday, and Olli Maatta (hand) are also injured.
Ron Hainsey traded to Penguins by Hurricanes

Considering where he played in that run, that D-corps was a real mess in hindsight.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
This is a strange way to look at it. He had no control over a team trading for him that had no top 6 spots open for him, the ice time he had before, as well as top PP time. He didn't PK to be able to gain minutes back.

He had a real gripe to be upset about that. In a contract year no less. He was essentially a straight 5 on 5 guy who did still manage respectable (I didn't say great) numbers losing anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes of quality ice time. For a offensive C that's a lot over that span of 50+ games.

Brassard isn't the bad guy in this scenario, just miscast by a GM/HC who thought he'd thrive here.

You need 5 on 5 strong players to play that position and get more ice time PKing. The 3c isn't gonna touch the #1 PP here without injury to Sid or Geno.

Maybe had the Pens tried something like Pearson, Brassard, Malkin he might have worked out well enough and freed up Malkin to rover like he does. Who knows, that's not an option now.

In the end it's no ones fault but who brought him in thinking he could, with less.

He was clearly not cut out for the job here, but he's in a pretty similar situation in Florida with two better centers, and so he'll probably be on the wing there too. How is being on the wing there so much better and more "free" than being on the wing here? All of his talk about playing with hall-of-famers here conveniently disregards that he's going to be a #3 on a lot of teams these days.

Does he think he's going to be getting more ice time as he gets older? At this point, most teams where he's the #2 center are not playoff teams.

Brass had better learn to accept and thrive in a bottom six role in the future, or he'll be out of the league in a couple of years. He could learn a lot from Matt Cullen, who puts winning ahead of making sure he gets 20 minutes a night.

Reactions: billybudd

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
He was clearly not cut out for the job here, but he's in a pretty similar situation in Florida with two better centers, and so he'll probably be on the wing there too. How is being on the wing there so much better and more "free" than being on the wing here? All of his talk about playing with hall-of-famers here conveniently disregards that he's going to be a #3 on a lot of teams these days.

Does he think he's going to be getting more ice time as he gets older? At this point, most teams where he's the #2 center are not playoff teams.

Brass had better learn to accept and thrive in a bottom six role in the future, or he'll be out of the league in a couple of years. He could learn a lot from Matt Cullen, who puts winning ahead of making sure he gets 20 minutes a night.

He'll most likely be traded again, but he'll be away from all the high expectations he had put on him here.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

turd

Feb 1, 2013

In the end it’s his fault. Yeah, he’s not going to get the minutes he’s used to but he could’ve... ya know... done SOMETHING with the minutes he did get. Maybe 50-60 points is unrealistic, but is 40? Playing with Kessel most of the time, to boot.

He came here, wasn’t getting the minutes he wanted, got the boo boo face, and now he’s “free” in Florida. f*** him.

Reactions: ncm7772

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
On a local note, I hope Block gets UTIs every day until he shuffles off this mortal coil. What a reprehensible chode.

He's the Bob Nutting of running a newspaper.
At least Nutting isn't an overtly racist POS that stifles his workforce and fires beloved employees to push his political narrative.

When you make Bob Nutting look like a GOOD business owner? Wow. That guy's such an asshole

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The abhorrent ****stain ratio for newspaper owners has to be around 93%.

I've asked this question in the MLB section but I'll ask here too.

Does anyone here subscribe to MLB.TV?

I used to watch on my TV via the app on my bluray player but that is no longer being supported from tomorrow. How do you watch? I want to watch via my TV so I am thinking Roku stick.

Not an active subscriber for reasons relating to the man Block makes look good, but I mostly used my PS3/PS4 to watch MLB.tv on my TV. If you have a Roku that would work too. MLB.TV Supported Devices

Last edited:
Reactions: Clare2904

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The abhorrent ****stain ratio for newspaper owners has to be around 93%.

Not an active subscriber for reasons relating to the man Block makes look good, but I mostly used my PS3/PS4 to watch MLB.tv on my TV. If you have a Roku that would work too. MLB.TV Supported Devices

I was reading a pretty interesting article about how this is mostly because newspaper numbers were so out of whack in terms of sheer profitability in the late 90s, before the Internet just killed 'em. I'll have to dig it out. Though, I guess that doesn't really apply to Block, since they've owned it for decades.

Also, in a similar vein, LOL to NYC about that whole Amazon thing.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Can you subtitle that? Gibberish and someone slamming a binder on a desk is all I got
Yeah it's not very coherent. I heard "Take it down" a few times. I think the main idea thought is that this behavior isn't acceptable for anyone, let alone someone in his position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad