Confirmed Trade: [PIT/VAN] Erik Gudbranson for Tanner Pearson

Status
Not open for further replies.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
It is about fit and expectations. Gudbranson is a third pairing d man who brings grit and stay at home make the simple play guy. Now you can complain that is a lot of contract for that, but for the Pens, his game is simple. When Letang and Dumo return, his minutes will go down and his exposure is less. Schultz was a tire fire and took time to reconstruct his game. But he had the talent to do that. Gudbranson is not that level, but he can improve and be a solid third pairing guy.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Yes, Schultz technically was.

He never played a game for the Ducks.

Same with Kevin Hayes

I get what you are trying to say. But it also took Schultz to find the right situation to become what his draft projection predicted him to be. Gudbranson while a very good skater is more suited for 90's era hockey. 2 totally different players. And some guys never find the right situation, some guys they are just good players despite any situation they are in.

Even if Gudbranson found the right situation here, he isn't going to become some renaissance OFD with PP capabilities. The Pens have taken this project on and "have" to actually work with him. I'm sure the first day was teaching him how to tie his skates. But so far 2/2!

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
It is about fit and expectations. Gudbranson is a third pairing d man who brings grit and stay at home make the simple play guy. Now you can complain that is a lot of contract for that, but for the Pens, his game is simple. When Letang and Dumo return, his minutes will go down and his exposure is less. Schultz was a tire fire and took time to reconstruct his game. But he had the talent to do that. Gudbranson is not that level, but he can improve and be a solid third pairing guy.

We've looked better defensively without those two and Gudbranson on 2nd pairing...

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015

Just another post by someone who's never seen Gudbranson play.

There's nothing "simple" about his game at all.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Gudbranson has looked good regardless of what other players on the Canucks look like :shakehead:

We're just not asking him to be "the guy" like maybe the Canucks were. I'm sure that has helped him a lot. He's still a project. He's still a work in progress. I'm confident The Pens coaching staff will work with him and put him in positions to succeed. He still has to develop here, who knows how it will go, all you can do is hope this is the right situation for him.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Ah I remember the days of Pens fans saying Oleksiak was an absolute steal for a 4th round pick and that he was incredibly good with Pittsburgh in his first several games and definitely gonna be a top 4 dman and turn it around because they had gotten good dmen from us before, and us Stars fans just sat back and laughed and said just wait.

He fell back down to earth. He improved slightly from a #8 to a #5-6, but they jumped to conclusions so fast. They're doing the same thing with Gudbranson.

Pens fans said Oleksiak was good last year for them because he was and it wasn't just first few games, he legit had a really good half of the season with the penguins....but unfortunately he turned back into the Dallas version of Oleksiak this year so they traded him back to Dallas.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
How does a trade involving those two scrubs generate so many pages..

its mostly filled Nucks fans shitting on Gudbranson like he killed their dog or something. I get it, he was awful for them, but lets face it, he wasn't the only one....save for maybe 3 or 4 players, their whole organization is filled with incompetent trash.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
We're just not asking him to be "the guy" like maybe the Canucks were. I'm sure that has helped him a lot. He's still a project. He's still a work in progress. I'm confident The Pens coaching staff will work with him and put him in positions to succeed. He still has to develop here, who knows how it will go, all you can do is hope this is the right situation for him.
Lol Guddy played the 5th or usually the 6th most ice time for Canucks defenceman. We never asked him to be The Guy, hell we barely asked him to be a #4 most nights and he still failed at it!

Reactions: NEPA

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
This probably ends terribly for the Pens and most fans I think would still undo the trade if they could, but Guds has been better than Vancouver fans had warned. Maybe he's being sheltered better. Maybe this system is better for him. Maybe he's got a D partner that covers for him well. Maybe this is just a small sample size. We shall see.

Now that he's with the organization, I'll support him and hope he does well.

Reactions: NEPA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad