Confirmed Trade: [PIT/VAN] Erik Gudbranson for Tanner Pearson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Do Canucks fans really have to come in here after every good game Gudbranson has and screech about how bad he was for Vancouver? We get it, he sucked for you. It's also entirely possible that he sucked for you guys while not being a bad player.

So far, he has been solid for the Penguins. You guys don't need to let Penguins fans know what they should think about Gudbranson's play here based on his play in Vancouver. I think it's really obvious that Gudbranson's performance in Vancouver isn't indicative of the caliber of player he is, Gudbranson even said that himself. I'll wait and see on Gudbranson instead of concluding Gudbranson sucks because Luke Schenn has been better for Vancouver or something.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Do Canucks fans really have to come in here after every good game Gudbranson has and screech about how bad he was for Vancouver? We get it, he sucked for you. It's also entirely possible that he sucked for you guys while not being a bad player.

So far, he has been solid for the Penguins. You guys don't need to let Penguins fans know what they should think about Gudbranson's play here based on his play in Vancouver. I think it's really obvious that Gudbranson's performance in Vancouver isn't indicative of the caliber of player he is, Gudbranson even said that himself. I'll wait and see on Gudbranson instead of concluding Gudbranson sucks because Luke Schenn has been better for Vancouver or something.

Just my 2 cents on Gudbranson. When the Islanders played Florida a few years back anytime him and Kulikov were on the ice they shut down Tavares. Tavares basically got all his points when Islanders could find a way to avoid that matchup. It surprised me at the time when they traded him because I thought he did a good job

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
The HF hivemind crapped all over the Penguins when they traded for Schultz 3 years ago too. Not realizing a) he wasn't going there to be the "next Paul Coffey" as they tried to make him out to be in Edmonton, and b) was going to a better team and playing a lesser role. Gudbrandson is going to be a bottom-pair defenseman on the Penguins. The hysteria following this trade was absolutely ridiculous.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

This isn't like Schultz though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This isn't like Schultz though.

Where did I say it was like Schultz? I don't think there is some untapped upside with Gudbranson like there was with Schultz. It's just pretty obvious that Gudbranson's play in Vancouver isn't indicative of the kind of player he is, based on Gudbranson at least being a serviceable #4/5 in Florida before being traded.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Nucks fans on their forum are posting clips of Gudbranson making mistakes on defense with the penguins, do they really not realize that all d-men make mistakes, you can cherry pick literally every d-men in the league and make short video clips about them to make them look worse than they are. Guddy's been nothing but class in Vancouver & only had great things to say about the fans and his former team and so far in Pittsburgh, but Nucks fans act like bunch of jealous ex girlfriends trying desperately to prove to everyone how ****ty Guddy is.
As a Canucks fan I’m embarrassed at how much the fan base obsessed about the guy. By his own admission he didn’t play well here. So get over it.

If he plays better in Pitt good on him. Fans here wanted him gone. Does it matter if he plays like the guy management hoped he would in van but now does it in Pitt? To me no.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
As a Canucks fan I’m embarrassed at how much the fan base obsessed about the guy. By his own admission he didn’t play well here. So get over it.

If he plays better in Pitt good on him. Fans here wanted him gone. Does it matter if he plays like the guy management hoped he would in van but now does it in Pitt? To me no.

We hope the same for Pearson.

Reactions: NEPA

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
We hope the same for Pearson.
Neither guy has the skill set to turn this into a one sided deal like the Naslund for stojanov deal in the 90’s. So, both sides should just chill.

Pearson best case returns to his half a point pace during his 3 prior years in LA. For gudbranson play consistent 20 minutes in a second pair defensive role and add some grit.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Nucks fans also thought Sutter was a good player when he got traded there for Bonino...
This is just a flat out lie. Plenty of Canucks fans, myself included were quite mad with that trade. Not only did we trade the better cheaper player, we paid more on top and then overpaid in new contract.
There’s plenty of evidence of this any time Sutter’s thread on Canucks board comes up

Reactions: Robongo01

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Still shocked Pittsburgh was willing to take on Gudbranson $4 million cap hit until 2021. That is a lot to pay for at best a third pairing guy.

Kudos to the Canucks to not just manage to dump him off but also get a better (and even slightly cheaper) player back in Tanner Pearson

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
The HF hivemind crapped all over the Penguins when they traded for Schultz 3 years ago too. Not realizing a) he wasn't going there to be the "next Paul Coffey" as they tried to make him out to be in Edmonton, and b) was going to a better team and playing a lesser role. Gudbrandson is going to be a bottom-pair defenseman on the Penguins. The hysteria following this trade was absolutely ridiculous.

Good point. These trades happen more than people realise. I hope he can thrive there.

Anyone hoping for a player to fail must never had to work hard for anything in their life. He had to be traded, he was, now let him go.

I'm sorry about this ridiculousness in this thread.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Not all trades work and this one was one of Van sending him to the Pens as the Pens had a need to fill ASAP. Pearson actually is a decent forward who just never added that level of play to make him a real positive addition for the Pens. Maybe in time he would but the Pens had a significant need to a RH D man with grit. If he plays well he can be moved if need be. But Pens are in a playoff run here and he fills a need. Sometimes a change is a positive move.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

I remember thinking the same thing when Florida fans were calling him a 5/6 defenseman when we first acquired him.

To be honest, he has his strength. If he works out, great. He's seems like a great guy and I wish the best for him. This thread should probably just be locked at this point.

Jan 21, 2018
You guys don't need to let Penguins fans know what they should think about Gudbranson's play here based on his play in Vancouver.

It's just pretty obvious that Gudbranson's play in Vancouver isn't indicative of the kind of player he is, based on Gudbranson at least being a serviceable #4/5 in Florida before being traded.

So you discredit others for using Gudbranson's play in Vancouver to judge his talent, yet you use his play in Florida to back your opinion?

We get it. Your team is one of the closest teams to a dynasty that we've seen in recent years. That doesn't mean you need to defend every move the Pens make. Gudbranson is not a top 4 in today's NHL. Perhaps he can manage to get by playing those minutes because of how good the Pens forward cast is. That doesn't change the fact that it's bad trade.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

Unfortunately hfcanucks is full of toxicity.

I always liked Gudbranson on Florida and was fairly happy when we got him.

That said, he absolutely WAS as bad for us 75% of his time here as people think he was. He was terrible for the most part.

But that may have been related to fit.

As it is, getting Pearson for the Gudbranson that we traded is a steal. Perhaps, if he fits properly onto your team, it can be a good deal for you guys as well.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So you discredit others for using Gudbranson's play in Vancouver to judge his talent, yet you use his play in Florida to back your opinion?

No, I'm using Gudbranson's word of "I underperformed in Vancouver" to mean that he's better than he was in Vancouver. In Florida, he was a perfectly serviceable defenseman for them, probably in the fringe #4/5 range. I'm willing to bet that he gets back to that in a situation that works for him. It's also entirely possible that he sucks here and is just a bad player, but so far, his thought of Vancouver just not working for him seems to be reality.

We get it. Your team is one of the closest teams to a dynasty that we've seen in recent years. That doesn't mean you need to defend every move the Pens make. Gudbranson is not a top 4 in today's NHL. Perhaps he can manage to get by playing those minutes because of how good the Pens forward cast is. That doesn't change the fact that it's bad trade.

Or here's another thought, we don't need Canucks fans telling us what to think of a player on our team. We can watch with our own eyes and come to our own conclusions. In Pittsburgh, Gudbranson has been perfectly solid in a middle pair role. Do I think he's a middle pair defenseman? No, I think he's at best a physical #5. But that's a lot better than the player some fans in here are screeching about. Congrats, he sucked for you. That doesn't mean you need to tell us how much he sucks for us.

I remember thinking the same thing when Florida fans were calling him a 5/6 defenseman when we first acquired him.

To be honest, he has his strength. If he works out, great. He's seems like a great guy and I wish the best for him. This thread should probably just be locked at this point.

Was that unfair that they were saying that? I think it's perfectly fair to call him a 5/6 defenseman. Canucks fans in here are calling him literal cancer on skates it seems like.

Reactions: Jimbo57

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For gudbranson, it was 2 fold. He simply made too much for how he played. His career before he extended on his current deal seemed like Luke Schenn who did well in his elc then signed a long term deal. After that deal expired he’s been on short term deals worth a cap hit of $1.25 per and under.
There was a reason why a guy in gudbranson situation at age 26 opts for only a 3 year deal with his current team vs going to market to get.a 5-6 year term. Agents must not have like his chances despite what some members of the media were saying.

You have pay scales of what you expect players to perform at. $5 million plus should Be first pairing. $3 million up to mid $5 million should be second pair. Under $2.5 should be 3rd pairing. Talking non elc here.

The other issue was the trade which he had no control of. Giving up both McCann and pick 33 did not make the fan base happy. Especially doubling down on not getting anything for Hamhuis. If they dealt Hamhuis for picks then used those picks to get gudbranson then you’re basically moving Hamhuis for gudbranson and saving 9 years in age.

Paddys Pub

Jul 18, 2016
Port Coquitlam

Kinda true. Lol.
I always liked Guddy and was bummed when we traded him.
He would have figured it out eventually. He is a good player with solid intangibles.

Apr 9, 2009
USA

He's actually very critical of the Pens.. so you're assessment of Emp is completely off-base. Just like most of the comments we have seen from Vancouver fans in this thread since the trade.

You guys seem obsessed about this for whatever reason. Pens fans still think it's a bad trade because of the contract. But we are allowed to be pleasantly surprised by his performance. There's not much more to it, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad