Confirmed Trade: [PIT/SJS] Marleau to Pittsburgh for cond. 2021 3rd (becomes 2nd if PIT wins cup)

Btown

Oct 1, 2011
So... player signs legally binding contract, that just about everyone knew was going to put Toronto in a bind by the third year.

Player honors said contract, and plays about as well as anyone with eyes figured he would at 38, while also being a great role model and mentor for your young stars.

Then said player gets told "sorry bro GTFO we need cap space" thus requesting player to waive his agreed upon clauses

Then that player, despite having no reason to do so, decided that he would agree to waive his clause so that Toronto could gain that cap space.

Yet because he waived it under the condition that he wanted to be traded to specific location(s), or be bought out, HE is the dickhead in this situation??

Lmao no. The only dick in this situation was Dubas for signing a stupid contract, and then asking that player to leave the team so he could attempt to fix the mess he himself created.

edit- Looks like Lou signed Marleau, so clearly I cant fault Dubas for that part of this situation. My point still stands though.
Was Dubas in the “fold”, was he in the TML organization at the NHL level yet?
Just curious I can’t remember if it was only Lou and Shanny back then or he was involved and getting “groomed” for the GM job?

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Definitely. They’re not 26 anymore but both would be great additions to a contenders bottom six. I’d probably rather acquire Jumbo if I were a team. He’s shown a lot of jump since the sharks canned Deboer.
That's great. Thanks for the info. Hopefully a deal can be made that makes sense for both teams!

Reactions: WSS11

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Marleau to the Pens makes too much sense not to happen. Cheap speedy vet with good character who can slot in a few places in the top 9.

Sounds like they're sniffing around like they were with Zucker.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I really don’t think Marleau is necessary. We have enough veteran leadership, and our 4th line wingers play with more energy that Marleau can at this point in his career.

Thornton I would be interested in. Our 3C and 4C spots are very much upgradeable and I still think he’s got some left to give.

I would push back gently on the assertion that Marleau can’t play with the same energy as your fourth liners.

Two of the things Marleau absolutely is not lacking in at his age is speed and effort.

I honestly think Marleau has been hustling more this year, than I remember him doing in the last year or two with the Sharks before Toronto.

No idea if Toronto changed him slightly, or maybe it’s just that I hadn’t really seen him play for two years, and sort of took for granted his effort before. Or maybe he just adjusted his own game as he got older and less skilled, knowing that he had to work harder to be useful.

That being said, I don’t watch your bottom line players enough to know just how they play, so maybe Marleau really can’t keep up their pace.

Reactions: Toby Flenderson

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Was Dubas in the “fold”, was he in the TML organization at the NHL level yet?
Just curious I can’t remember if it was only Lou and Shanny back then or he was involved and getting “groomed” for the GM job?

No he wasn’t as I put in my edit there. So I retracted the specific part about Dubas signing him to a dumb contract.

The rest of the post is still my view of the overall situation however and imo still does not make Marleau the A-hole within it.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
While Im meh at the idea of both, depth on defense should happen first, what ever leftover pogs you have after that, sure why not. More forward depth while good, yes not questioning that at all isnt really an area of need.

Btown

Oct 1, 2011
No he wasn’t as I put in my edit there. So I retracted the specific part about Dubas signing him to a dumb contract.

The rest of the post is still my view of the overall situation however and imo still does not make Marleau the A-hole within it.
Absolutely not an “A-hole”, I was just curious because I know Dubas was in the NHL management team before he took over as GM.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
He was a mistake of a signing, no question. Having said that, demanding a trade "out west" to be closer to home and then using your NMC to limit the team's options to San Jose or a team willing to buy him out and eat 6.25 in dead cap for a year is a dick move. If we were able to trade him to LA or Anaheim after paying his bonus and he actually played for them, it wouldn't have cost anywhere close to a 1st.

You'd have a point if he didn't demand a trade and use the NMC to dictate where he went.

"I want a trade out west" is fine
"I want a trade to only San Jose or someone who buys me out, failure to do so will result in 6.25 in dead cap you can't get rid of no matter what" is a dick move.
"I want a trade out west" Toronto proceeds to trade Marleau to Carolina, a city that is East of Toronto. "Wtf crybaby marleau"

Also the whole point of his nmc was to limit teams he was traded to. How obtuse are you that you don't understand this. Toronto signed a contract and tried to break that contracts rules. If your work hired you and explicitly said you didn't need to relocate then decided you would have to relocate you would be rightfully pissed.

Reactions: fasterthanlight

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
It’s honestly like analysts read these forums. Penguins have been linked to players that fans on these boards have been talking about for weeks+.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
While Im meh at the idea of both, depth on defense should happen first, what ever leftover pogs you have after that, sure why not. More forward depth while good, yes not questioning that at all isnt really an area of need.

We have defensive depth... Our 1LD and 2LD are currently rehabbing. Schultz is likely to be a 5-6D by the end of the season....what more depth could you ask for?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think what ends up happening with the Penguins is that they go with Zucker-Crosby and Malkin-Rust top-6 duos and just rotate their remaining 2nd/3rd line tweeners through those spots. I think Marleau could be really useful in that role, a 3rd line LWer that gets spot duty in the top-6.

Reactions: Dicdonya

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Absolutely not an “A-hole”, I was just curious because I know Dubas was in the NHL management team before he took over as GM.

Oh, I’m not a Toronto fan, so I have no idea when Dubas was or wasn’t involved, and to what extent. Sorry :(

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Lol people have lots of feelings about Marleau and Thornton.

It's not that complicated. They're two old dudes who can still play. Marleau is faster than 90% of the league still. Thornton has good vision. They aren't as good as they were when 27. They probably have roughly equal value depending on what you're looking for --- a speedy 4th liner who can fill in on the 3rd line, or a good 3C/excellent 4C who can take PP shifts if you're looking for someone to stand on the half boards.

I'd say their value is probably a 4th round pick each, but the sharks aren't going to optimize for value, they'll be optimizing for wherever these franchise figures want to go/who might want them.

Reactions: Dicdonya

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Marleau to the Pens makes too much sense. A skilled veteran who knows how to play the game and is fast that fits well into the Penguins system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad