Confirmed Trade: [PIT/SJS] Marleau to Pittsburgh for cond. 2021 3rd (becomes 2nd if PIT wins cup)

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Screams Toronto if he's willing to go back. They can trade for him since they didn't buy him out.

All the kids need Dad back around to set them straight.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Have you seen the Oilers bottom six?
I'd be happy if they acquired either Marleau/Thornton for a 4th and Ennis for a 3rd

Yikes, is it not better to just let some kids get experience?

It’s not like the oilers are contenders or anything

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Will he by a cry baby and refuse to play for another team again?
Because the Maple Leafs definitely wanted him in their lineup at that cap hit. Come on, it was obvious at the time it was signed he wouldn't be in TO for the entirety of it.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I was referring to when he was traded to Carolina and refused to play. Let him rot in San Jose.
He signed his contract with a NMC for a reason. He waived it after Toronto pushed him to and the Canes were 100% aware that he probably wouldn't report. They got a 1st for spending some money, seems like a win for all parties.

Reactions: SnarkAttack

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
He signed his contract with a NMC for a reason. He waived it after Toronto pushed him to and the Canes were 100% aware that he probably wouldn't report. They got a 1st for spending some money, seems like a win for all parties.

Oh yeah, well the internets told me that he forced his Sharks contract to end, demanded his way out of Toronto, and then demanded his way out of Carolina, and then forced Wilson to sign him again at gunpoint. Now he's forcing Wilson to trade him. God help whoever is next on this psycho's warpath.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Oh yeah, well the internets told me that he forced his Sharks contract to end, demanded his way out of Toronto, and then demanded his way out of Carolina, and then forced Wilson to sign him again at gunpoint. Now he's forcing Wilson to trade him. God help whoever is next on this psycho's warpath.
The Snark is strong with this one ;)

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Yea like the Leafs would pay a 1rst to get rid of him and now acquire him back lmao

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

He demanded a trade out west then changed his mind to only San Jose. He objectively put Toronto in a terrible spot with his demands.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Toronto put themselves in a bad spot by giving an extra year, nmc, and money they didn't have to sign him in the first place.
Yep. When a team does what is in their best interest and trades a player that doesn’t want to be traded, with no regards to a player’s best interest, fans say “it’s just business” and accept it.

when a player exercises his NMC to do what is in his best interest, fans start calling him selfish, a crybaby, etc... and get upset that he didn’t do what was best for the team trying to trade him.

I kind of get it because most of us are fans of teams, more so than individual players, but it’s not really a logical thought process.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The Internet didn't tell you that.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Toronto put themselves in a bad spot by giving an extra year, nmc, and money they didn't have to sign him in the first place.
They had the money.. .they didnt,however, have a crystal ball to tell them that their young core would be worth 11.8, 10.8 and 6.9 at the end of their entry level contracts... not to mention tavares would become a UFA and choose them.

Alot had to go right for the Marleau contract to cost them. Consider how good their fortunes went after the Marleau signing... im sure they really didnt mind having to trade him for a 1sr.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

He was a mistake of a signing, no question. Having said that, demanding a trade "out west" to be closer to home and then using your NMC to limit the team's options to San Jose or a team willing to buy him out and eat 6.25 in dead cap for a year is a dick move. If we were able to trade him to LA or Anaheim after paying his bonus and he actually played for them, it wouldn't have cost anywhere close to a 1st.

Yep. When a team does what is in their best interest and trades a player that doesn’t want to be traded, with no regards to a player’s best interest, fans say “it’s just business” and accept it.

when a player exercises his NMC to do what is in his best interest, fans start calling him selfish, a crybaby, etc... and get upset that he didn’t do what was best for the team trying to trade him.

I kind of get it because most of us are fans of teams, more so than individual players, but it’s not really a logical thought process.

You'd have a point if he didn't demand a trade and use the NMC to dictate where he went.

"I want a trade out west" is fine
"I want a trade to only San Jose or someone who buys me out, failure to do so will result in 6.25 in dead cap you can't get rid of no matter what" is a dick move.

Last edited:

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
He was a mistake of a signing, no question. Having said that, demanding a trade "out west" to be closer to home and then using your NMC to limit the team's options to San Jose or a team willing to buy him out and eat 6.25 in dead cap for a year is a dick move. If we were able to trade him to LA or Anaheim after paying his bonus and he actually played for them, it wouldn't have cost anywhere close to a 1st.

You'd have a point if he didn't demand a trade and use the NMC to dictate where he went.

"I want a trade out west" is fine
"I want a trade to only San Jose or someone who buys me out, failure to do so will result in 6.25 in dead cap you can't get rid of no matter what" is a dick move.

So... player signs legally binding contract, that just about everyone knew was going to put Toronto in a bind by the third year.

Player honors said contract, and plays about as well as anyone with eyes figured he would at 38, while also being a great role model and mentor for your young stars.

Then said player gets told "sorry bro GTFO we need cap space" thus requesting player to waive his agreed upon clauses

Then that player, despite having no reason to do so, decided that he would agree to waive his clause so that Toronto could gain that cap space.

Yet because he waived it under the condition that he wanted to be traded to specific location(s), or be bought out, HE is the dickhead in this situation??

Lmao no. The only dick in this situation was Dubas for signing a stupid contract, and then asking that player to leave the team so he could attempt to fix the mess he himself created.

edit- Looks like Lou signed Marleau, so clearly I cant fault Dubas for that part of this situation. My point still stands though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00