Confirmed Trade: [PIT/SJS] Marleau to Pittsburgh for cond. 2021 3rd (becomes 2nd if PIT wins cup)

varano

Jun 27, 2013
He was a mistake of a signing, no question. Having said that, demanding a trade "out west" to be closer to home and then using your NMC to limit the team's options to San Jose or a team willing to buy him out and eat 6.25 in dead cap for a year is a dick move. If we were able to trade him to LA or Anaheim after paying his bonus and he actually played for them, it wouldn't have cost anywhere close to a 1st.

What are you saying?

The condition for him to come to Toronto was the third year. Dubas f***ed up and overpaid everyone under the sun and then renegged on Lous agreement. So yeah, its entirely within Marleaus right to do that. Hes not a dick, dubas is.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think Marleau should just remain in San Jose under cheap deals. The guy can still play hockey and he's done a ton for the Sharks.

I guess it's his contract that's valuable.

Reactions: jetsforever

Nth Turtle Reborn

Mar 15, 2019
demanding a trade "out west" to be closer to home and then using your NMC to limit the team's options to San Jose or a team willing to buy him out and eat 6.25 in dead cap for a year is a dick move.

"I want a trade to only San Jose or someone who buys me out, failure to do so will result in 6.25 in dead cap you can't get rid of no matter what" is a dick move.

You're saying he wasn't prepared to play out the 3rd year of his contract, signed in good faith with NMC, for the TML? Source needed please.

Only phallic movements I see here are by your GM, he doesn't honour the Leafs' side of the deal, requests PM leave & the fanbase don't care 1 iota he's reneging on his end of the deal 'cos it's not convenient for the team down the line. As you so eloquently put it, DICK MOVE, as is blaming the player for trying to get his fair shake.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
So... player signs legally binding contract, that just about everyone knew was going to put Toronto in a bind by the third year.

Player honors said contract, and plays about as well as anyone with eyes figured he would at 38, while also being a great role model and mentor for your young stars.

Then said player gets told "sorry bro GTFO we need cap space" thus requesting player to waive his agreed upon clauses

Then that player, despite having no reason to do so, decided that he would agree to waive his clause so that Toronto could gain that cap space.

Yet because he waived it under the condition that he wanted to be traded to specific location(s), or be bought out, HE is the dickhead in this situation??

Lmao no. The only dick in this situation was Dubas for signing a stupid contract, and then asking that player to leave the team so he could attempt to fix the mess he himself created.

edit- Looks like Lou signed Marleau, so clearly I cant fault Dubas for that part of this situation. My point still stands though.

Leafs fan-agree with your post entirely.

Marleau played fine here for what he was. He was brought in by Babdick as a mentor for the hot shot young guns and still put up decent numbers. The cost of getting out of that third year was too high, and with the disaster of the year we have just had it makes you wonder if he was a much more valuable piece than originally thought.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I really don’t think Marleau is necessary. We have enough veteran leadership, and our 4th line wingers play with more energy that Marleau can at this point in his career.

Thornton I would be interested in. Our 3C and 4C spots are very much upgradeable and I still think he’s got some left to give.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Either and/or both would be more than welcome in Pittsburgh. I've been mentioning Thornton for a couple months on the Pens' board. Our bottom-6 have struggled a bit on face-offs. Bringing in some extra motivation in the end here should prove pretty smart.

Merc29

Sid ney Cr os by
Jul 3, 2006
Minot, ND
Bjugstad
Simon
5th

for

both

when everyone healthy

Zucker- Crosby - McCann
Marleau - Malkin - Rust
Kahun - Thornton - Hornqvist
ZAR - bluger - Tanev

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
What do you consider their main strengths and weaknesses at this point?

For Joe, he’s still an excellent passer and playmaker, his two main weaknesses are obviously his speed and that he’s not nearly as strong on the puck as he used to be.

Patty still has his wheels and has shown that he can create chances on the rush with them. His shot isn’t that good and like Joe, he is knocked off the puck a lot easier now and days.

Both guys are invaluable additions to a locker room though. I’m sure Leafs fans will attest to that with Patty.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Sharks fans shed some light? Anything left in the tank?

Definitely. They’re not 26 anymore but both would be great additions to a contenders bottom six. I’d probably rather acquire Jumbo if I were a team. He’s shown a lot of jump since the sharks canned Deboer.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Would be sad to see either of them in a penguins Jersey but would be nice to see them win if the caps dont.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: