Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Pens re-sign Guentzel (5 years, $6M AAV)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Seems like a contract in line with what was expected to me.

Yeah, pretty much every Penguins fan expected him to get a deal like 6 years at $6 million. Maybe some went as low as $5.5 million, and the Nylander situation did give some a scare, but most expected a contract very similar to this.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He's been great in the playoffs, no argument there but 6 mill still seems high for a guy that hasn't hit 50 points in a season imo

He's only had one season to be fair. Prior to the season, his full season pace for all his NHL games, regular season and play offs, was 60. I think he's currently pacing for 75. And that's all with very little time on the Pens' top power play unit.

The money feels very justified from where I'm sitting, and I'm delighted Rutherford gave it to him now rather than waiting for him to prove how much he could score in a full regular season and paying an extra half million or so for the privilege.

I feel like this is a lot of money for him, no? I mean hes a good player but I feel a lot of his production is who he plays with. Hes at a ppg pace right now but I just havent seen enough to like that type of contract.

Sid's had a lot of wingers, I don't think any of them have done this sort of thing with him.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Sid's had a lot of wingers, I don't think any of them have done this sort of thing with him.

For sure. I'm definitely not trashing him. Guentzel is a perfect fit but on any other team I dont think he produces as he is now. I dont see him as a 6million dollar player, he just produces at that clip with Sid.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah because 14 games is an awesome sample size.

Okay, how about every game since the start of the 2017-2018 season?

Jake Guentzel - 102 points in 130 games (0.78 PPG)
William Nylander - 67 points in 97 games (.69 PPG)

Is that a big enough sample size for you?

How about every game of their careers?

Jake Guentzel - 156 points in 195 games (0.8 PPG)
William Nylander - 145 points in 207 games (0.7 PPG)

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Probably paying a bit more based on who he plays with and riding the percentages a bit, but he's a good, young player and you aren't going to get those guys locked up much under a 6 mil AAV anymore.

Schooner

Sep 19, 2017
He's only had one season to be fair. Prior to the season, his full season pace for all his NHL games, regular season and play offs, was 60. I think he's currently pacing for 75. And that's all with very little time on the Pens' top power play unit.

The money feels very justified from where I'm sitting, and I'm delighted Rutherford gave it to him now rather than waiting for him to prove how much he could score in a full regular season and paying an extra half million or so for the privilege.

That makes sense, its easy to forget the difficulty to find that kind of fit for a winger for Crosby, and he has done well along side him. Thanks for pointing out the season stat too, kind of forgot his first season he had the injury bug

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
For sure. I'm definitely not trashing him. Guentzel is a perfect fit but on any other team I dont think he produces as he is now. I dont see him as a 6million dollar player, he just produces at that clip with Sid.

Maybe. His absurd ES production would definitely go down... but at the same time, on another team, he might get more PP time and in his favourite position (which is where Sid stands) and I think that might even out.

That makes sense, its easy to forget the difficulty to find that kind of fit for a winger for Crosby, and he has done well along side him. Thanks for pointing out the season stat too, kind of forgot his first season he had the injury bug

No injury, just he was up and down from the AHL.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

He's a very smart player, think he'd produce 60 points on most teams.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Maybe. His absurd ES production would definitely go down... but at the same time, on another team, he might get more PP time and in his favourite position (which is where Sid stands) and I think that might even out.

Possibly, we wont know. I see him as a mid 6 winger playing with the best player in the world. Now hes getting paid as a top line guy for it. Hes the beneficiary of a good situation.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Initially I thought the price was high, but after looking at this actual stats I'm with the majority that it's a good deal. 48 in 82 for his first full season and now 33 in 36, he'll definitely beat his record for a season. And yeah, everyone knows his playoff success. Good deal for Pitts.

Reactions: Shoofyou10

Schooner

Sep 19, 2017
I actually like the Nylander contract. But if anything, this makes the Nylander look worse. Guentzel is a heck of a player.

They are both good players on pretty good contracts. Just have no idea why Leafs fans always have to bring up Leafs in every thread. Gets tiring

I guess I didn't come across as I intended, did not bring up Nylander as a leafs thing but more as a most recent comparable. I think with pittburgh's early faltering it kind of fell through the cracks of how good his season has been so far

Feb 24, 2017
Makes Nylander's contract look pretty good
How? Him and Nylander are polar opposites. Guentzel has proven exceptionally useful beyond the first week of April. Nylander skipped the wrong two months. His absence would not have been noticed had he stopped dressing after game 82.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad