Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Penguins re-sign F Rickard Rakell (6 years, $5M AAV)

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Malkin announcement that he will be testing free agency and then this deal comes out right after. Pens didn't want to lose both. Betting they were offering 4 years at 5 mil, then gave the extra years after they couldn't settle Malkin.

Reactions: Dead Coyote

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I would have expected a lower AAV at that term but it's not egregiously high. I would have expected like a $4.5 million AAV.

I think we all did - that was before signings started to happen. League must REALLY expect a rising cap..

I'd much rather have Rakell 6x5 than freakin Nichuskin at that 8 year 6.125M contract he just signed.

I mean, again, Rust, Letang, DeSmith, now Rakell..... these aren't crazy contracts. But let's just keep the complaint train rollin.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Really, that much money and term for Rickard Rakell? That seems risky to me.

Should have just paid Malkin. Who cares if he gets injured, he’s a franchise legend.

Reactions: Andy99

DieselBoy

Mar 18, 2007
Looks like an overpay after Rust signed for 6x5.125m. Reality is Rust left 1m+ per year on the table to stay put.

Yea I don’t see how this is any better than Nichushkin. The guy hasn’t done much for a while now. I think it’s going to be an expensive free agency. Gaudreau is going to get 10+ for sure.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
6 years takes him to 35. The last year May be a little rough, but then again, if he takes care of himself physically, it might not be.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Better than the $4,020,000 overpay by Carolina on Kotkaniemi.

FearfulShamefulEft-size_restricted.gif

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
The money is fine but that term is going to be really bad. Rakell seems to lose motivation a lot, floats in all 3 zones, and is a very streaky player offensively.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
So many of you people seem to struggle massively with a pair of simple concepts at play here:

1. The Pens’ window is cracked open for at most three or four more seasons. Term does not mean a damn thing to the team, especially because…

2. The salary cap will almost certainly be pushing $95M five seasons from now, making contracts signed now much easier to move - or simply absorb.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I feel like he wasn’t even good for the Pens. Pens fans can correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t impressed in my short viewings of him on your squad.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
I feel like he wasn’t even good for the Pens. Pens fans can correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t impressed in my short viewings of him on your squad.
I disagree. I thought he looked dynamic. I think if he can be a good second or third wheel on a good top6 line. 4 goals and 9 assists in 19 games and a +7. Not a giant sample size.

Reactions: Riptide

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I disagree. I thought he looked dynamic. I think if he can be a good second or third wheel on a good top6 line. 4 goals and 9 assists in 19 games and a +7. Not a giant sample size.
Hmm okay. Well I stand corrected. Maybe I was just focused on those pretty bad hits he took there.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

He was very good for Pittsburgh. He was driving the net, playing sound defensively and most importantly, creating plays and being creative. Am overjoyed that he's being re-signed. 5m AAV is a little higher then I was hoping to see, but that doesn't bother me in the least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad