Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Penguins re-sign F Rickard Rakell (6 years, $5M AAV)

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
When do these types of contacts ever work for the team?

Rackell is 29, and hasn't scored above a 24 goal pace since 2018

Pittsburgh's new management team seem to be modelling their philosophy towards roster construction on the one that was used to build the San Jose Sharks

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He was amazing when they put him on the line with Crosby and Guentzel. That line flat out dominated possession in a way that any incarnation of Crosby's line combinations over the last few years haven't.

Unfortunately, Sullivan loves Rust on that line and is too damn pigheaded to keep Rakell there. But Rakell individually still adds a dimension to the Pens' top six winger group they don't really have.
I stand corrected. If the Pens fans like him, who am i to argue. Good signing then.

Reactions: Shawn Heins 44

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
When do these types of contacts ever work for the team?

Rackell is 29, and hasn't scored above a 24 goal pace since 2018

Pittsburgh's new management team seem to be modelling their philosophy towards roster construction on the one that was used to build the San Jose Sharks
This team does remind me a lot of the sharks, age wise. That team did make one last cup run before it all fell apart, so hey let's do it.

A little over 10m left to sign Malkin, Kapanen (who we qualified and will likely go to arbitration) and a depth F. Malkin still fits under 7m. We could even do more if we can dump a LD.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Don’t really know why he wanted to sign with the Pens.

They aren’t exactly looking at going to places

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Clearly I'm in the minority here but I like the Cap hit and term. Five yrs would have been fine though. He was a pretty solid all around player in a Pens uniform. Better than I anticipated coming from the Ducks.

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
Don’t really know why he wanted to sign with the Pens.

They aren’t exactly looking at going to places
Well to be fair he was only there for a short time and the Pens were absolutely on the verge of taking the Rangers (who went to the ECF) down, with their 3rd string Goalie - and then Crosby got to meet Trouba. So with the team performance he was part of there is absolutely a way for them to go places.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Yes if they don't sign Kapanen (they qualified him today), it gets really tight if Kapanen gets signed though.

They have $10.3 million in cap space while needing to re-sign Malkin, 2 middle-6 wingers and a 14th forward. You could do that fairly easily with Malkin, 2 reclamation projects in UFA (like Heinen and Rodrigues were last year) and a league minimum 14th forward, but it gets dicey if they pay Kapanen.
Why wouldn't they sign Kapanen? Pittsburgh gave him a qualifying offer. He files for salary arbitration. A team can't walk away from a number below $4,538,958. Kapanen isn't getting that much. If Pittsburgh didn't want to pay Kapanen, they shouldn't have qualified him.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Why wouldn't they sign Kapanen? Pittsburgh gave him a qualifying offer. He files for salary arbitration. A team can't walk away from a number below $4,538,958. Kapanen isn't getting that much. If Pittsburgh didn't want to pay Kapanen, they shouldn't have qualified him.
It's harder to trade a player that you haven't qualified, because we wouldn't be able to trade him after free agency opens.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
This team does remind me a lot of the sharks, age wise. That team did make one last cup run before it all fell apart, so hey let's do it.

A little over 10m left to sign Malkin, Kapanen (who we qualified and will likely go to arbitration) and a depth F. Malkin still fits under 7m. We could even do more if we can dump a LD.
The problem with that is then you March out the same crew a year older who didn't get the job done for many years now and are expecting a different result .

That window has closed . I don't any issue with 5mil for RR but the term won't age well with the team .

Reactions: Coastal Kev

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
I used to watch this dude play for the Norfolk Admirals, he was a fun player to watch. I had him on fantasy in 17-18 and he was a beast, couple down seasons since then. Maybe he will rebound with Pittsburgh

Reactions: BHD

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I used to watch this dude play for the Norfolk Admirals, he was a fun player to watch. I had him on fantasy in 17-18 and he was a beast, couple down seasons since then. Maybe he will rebound with Pittsburgh

He looked good with the Pens, the flexibility to look good on both wings is a nice bonus too.

Reactions: Giskard and BHD

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Go see how Chicago is enjoying their loyalty.
Who exactly were the Hawks loyal too they shouldn't have been? (And I'll give you Seabrook from a historical perspective, but he's no longer on the team.)

I get loyalty. If I were Geno's camp, I would have jumped at the supposed 3 year contract term, which IMO was very fair given his age and recent health issues. Holding out for more than that is trying to take advantage IMO, and good on the Pens for holding their ground.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
The problem with that is then you March out the same crew a year older who didn't get the job done for many years now and are expecting a different result .

That window has closed . I don't any issue with 5mil for RR but the term won't age well with the team .
This has been my mantra on the Pens board goin on 4 offseasons now.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
A 2nd line, offensive winger signed until their mid-30s for big money and term? Really don't think this ages well.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Term should have been matched with Crosby's status. Maybe 3 years only. Expect a buyout down the line.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
So Copp is definitely getting 5.5-6 over 6/7 years. Seems like everybody is getting their term. No wonder Rangers are out.

I don't like the term for Penguins, but hey, they had a great run. Keep it going for a little longer and then watch it burn down. Circle of life?

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I thought he played well in Pittsburgh. He looked closer to the player he was a few years ago in Anaheim with a better team around him in Pittsburgh. The salary is fine to me. The term is a bit much but it seems like any player that's even decent gets 5 or 6 year deals now. That's just the market.

BigVegas17

Mar 4, 2018
I was hoping for 5 x 4.5M but if this is what it took to keep him around, no complaints at all. REally liked what he brought to the table at the end of the season and will be a solid 1-2 RW for Sid, Geno, or whoever slots in at 2C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad