Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Penguins re-sign F Evgeni Malkin (4 years, $6.1M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I think the Penguins will make a run at one of Copp or Burakovsky, or possibly even Kadri and move Geno to W. Or they may target a mid tier guy like Vatrano or Marchment.

I also wouldn't rule out putting all their chips in and making a pitch for a guy like JT Miller or someone else via trade if they can't get someone via the UFA route. I'm skeptical they have the assets, but they will try.

I think they will wait to see if they can get one of those top 6 guys before shipping out Zucker or one of Dumo/Pettersson to open up more cap space, And that is the prudent thing to do, rather than ship them out before knowing the cap space is needed.

But yes, another top 6 forward is certainly needed for them to be even better than they were last year.
Not sure how Kadri is possible with just over $4mil in cap space and Kap to sign. Unless we can ship out both Zucker and one of Dumo/Pettersson.

And for the money these guys will command, I'd much rather land a Palat than a Copp/Burakovsky. Palat is the exact top-6 guy we need for the playoffs.

Vatrano and Marchment, and to a lesser degree Lindholm or Kubalik would be fine, but still think they don't address our true need which is impact player in the top-6 who can deliver in the postseason. That screams Palat to me. If Hextall does in fact have deals on the table to shed Pettersson or Zucker, he's my first choice.

Again, I'd be okay with trying them, just feel Vatrano/Marchment/Lindholm/Kubalik would blend into our group of middle-6 tweeners, of which we don't have a shortage of currently, rather than be drivers of impact.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Not sure how Kadri is possible with just over $4mil in cap space and Kap to sign. Unless we can ship out both Zucker and one of Dumo/Pettersson.

And for the money these guys will command, I'd much rather land a Palat than a Copp/Burakovsky. Palat is the exact top-6 guy we need for the playoffs.

Vatrano and Marchment, and to a lesser degree Lindholm or Kubalik would be fine, but still think they don't address our true need which is impact player in the top-6 who can deliver in the postseason. That screams Palat to me. If Hextall does in fact have deals on the table to shed Pettersson or Zucker, he's my first choice.

Again, I'd be okay with trying them, just feel Vatrano/Marchment/Lindholm/Kubalik would blend into to our group of middle-6 tweeners, of which we don't have a shortage of currently, rather than be drivers of impact.

I'm not convinced Kapanen will be signed. He could be traded. McGinn is also another candidate to be moved. Even Bluger could be moved if it was a C coming in like Kadri or JT Miller.

I think Kapanen was their Plan B if they didn't sign anyone else, and either he wants to stay and they have a cheap contract in place that will be announced shortly; or perhaps even more likely, they have a couple of teams interested in Kapanen so that's why they qualified him.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I'm not convinced Kapanen will be signed. He could be traded. McGinn is also another candidate to be moved. Even Bluger could be moved if it was a C coming in like Kadri or JT Miller.
I hope you're right, but if Hextall indeed has plans to move these guys, the clock is ticking.
I love the Palat route because I think we'd only need to make one move to clear up space to do so.
Kap could be handled after the one key UFA signing.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
As unsexy as it is for neutral fans who want as exciting of a free agency as possible I am still glad to see a deal get done. Crosby and Malkin have been so joined at the hip that it would have been weird to see them finish their careers without each other.

Reactions: BillPrep

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
This is a beautiful thing. He's fussy and dramatic, but he was also PPG on one leg last season. Can't even imagine Geno at 39 given his health issues, but it even more difficult to imagine him not in a Pens sweater. Bravo!

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I hope you're right, but if Hextall indeed has plans to move these guys, the clock is ticking.
I love the Palat route because I think we'd only need to make one move to clear up space to do so.
Kap could be handled after the one key UFA signing.

The clock isn't ticking at all.

You know that teams are allowed to be 10% over the cap in the summer, right?

So it doesn't make sense to trade quality depth pieces or pay an asset for a cap dump (like a 2nd rounder for Zucker) if the cap space for next year isn't required.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
The clock isn't ticking at all.

You know that teams are allowed to be 10% over the cap in the summer, right?

So it doesn't make sense to trade quality depth pieces or pay an asset for a cap dump (like a 2nd rounder for Zucker) if the cap space for next year isn't required.
I didn't know that.

Hope that means we will indeed be playing today in FA.

Still, like you said Hextall would have to have a deal in place to move a guy for cap before committing to a new contract.

Reactions: jmelm

NewtJorden

Unitas est Invicta
Aug 9, 2006
Rimouski
Not surprised as i never believed he would hit free agency. Good for him for wanting to spend his career with one team, doesnt happen enough now.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Pittsburgh has just over 4 mil in cap with Kapanen as the only RFA left to sign with the Pens.

Pittsburgh may also try to resign Rodrigues if he comes cheap.
I really hope the Pens stay away from ERod. Let him make his money somewhere, but not here.

If there’s someone who wants to take Kapanen that would be great. Perpetually in the coach’s doghouse, often unfairly. He was a waste of a first rounder (just like Zucker) but it’s not too late for him to have a career revival. Maybe there is some team who sees the potential still there, and he isn’t completely ruined.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Honestly i wouldn't be shocked to see them go after Trocheck anyway so they can try Malkin as a winger.
That would be incredible. But I think that would sap a lot of our remaining cap. I feel like we need to dip into the RFA pool to get some more depth scoring.

But Pettersson AND Zucker can somehow be moved, then all bets are off, and all the chips should be in. Go after Trochek, move 71 to wing, and make the same move with Carter by getting Strome on L3. And see if Max Domi wants a short term deal.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
The tone he takes, I believe he thinks his problems are in the rear view mirror. If he hasn’t realized that he’s got lifetime issues to manage yet, I see major stumbles.

Does Canadian law offer some protection against American creditors? because yeah there’s that too. He owes a lot of dough to a lot of people.

• Haha
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
The tone he takes, I believe he thinks his problems are in the rear view mirror. If he hasn’t realized that he’s got lifetime issues to manage yet, I see major stumbles.

Does Canadian law offer some protection against American creditors? because yeah there’s that too. He owes a lot of dough to a lot of people.
Ummm... What are you talking about?

Reactions: Syrinx

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
They are old injury prone players now, not players in their primes…
Letang just put up his best point season total all time. Please tell me how injury prone he really is.
Geno just came back from a major knee injury and still put up a point per game.

These aren't your regular NHLers

I'll gladly take "old" players that are still producing at high levels and favorable cap hits

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
That's a shame. Would've been nice to see if Malkin could've carried his own team...

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Letang just put up his best point season total all time. Please tell me how injury prone he really is.
Geno just came back from a major knee injury and still put up a point per game.

These aren't your regular NHLers

I'll gladly take "old" players that are still producing at high levels and favorable cap hits
Lol, dont worry, all us in the Atlantic are loving these signings by the Pens. Team has been going nowhere for yeara and they are signed on to do the same for the next 4 years :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Lol, dont worry, all us in the Atlantic are loving these signings by the Pens. Team has been going nowhere for yeara and they are signed on to do the same for the next 4 years :laugh:

They just reduced Malkin and Letang's combined cap hit by like $4.5 million. This is precisely the kind of move the Pens needed to make to improve the team over the next couple of seasons. And even if it doesn't work out, who cares? They won 3 cups with this core already and will be rebuilding in 3 or 4 years regardless.

Now 87, 71, and 58 will likely all play their entire NHL careers as Penguins, which is a rare distinction in itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad