Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Penguins re-sign F Evgeni Malkin (4 years, $6.1M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I am OK with the deal as there wasn't a cheaper option available right now. The real question is whats different about this team nm( besides being older and slower) and the team that got beat in the first round again...and again and again,,?? They don't have the cap space or assets to get an impact player. Pettersson isn't going to fetch much. Now the oens sit back and watch the other eastern teams get better today

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
So the Grumpy Old Men Gang are going to take another few swings at a Cup. Nice that they all worked together on it.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Pittsburgh has just over 4 mil in cap with Kapanen as the only RFA left to sign with the Pens.

Pittsburgh may also try to resign Rodrigues if he comes cheap.

Reactions: Extra Texture

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Big mistake by Pens. Too old and injury prone to invest significantly.
While I agree with the injury history being an issue, age I would worry less about. I think the injuries is what limited him to a max of $6.1M and his production in the games he played would likely have warranted more. I mean he still had 144 points in 129 games or 1.12 ppg in over the last 3 years.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Seems like a good deal for both sides. Was expecting 3 years though. That 4th will be useless at 6 mil. But whatever, not my team

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Pittsburgh has just over 4 mil in cap with Kapanen as the only RFA left to sign with the Pens.

Pittsburgh may also try to resign Rodrigues if he comes cheap.
Rodrigues is going to get 3+ million as a UFA by a GM that thinks he's a 20G swiss army knife player, so good luck to him and bon voyage.

I'm glad to see these powerhouses of the last 15 years sell their souls into mediocrity.

The way it should be
Well, we appreciate the Edmonton expertise on mediocrity.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Rodrigues is going to get 3+ million as a UFA by a GM that thinks he's a 20G swiss army knife player, so good luck to him and bon voyage.

Well, we appreciate the Edmonton expertise on mediocrity.
Edmonton and Montreal both had powerhouse teams at one time as well. Islanders too.

Here's hoping the penguins, hawks and kings next 25 years look like those last 25 years for the teams of the 70s and 80s.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Edmonton and Montreal both had powerhouse teams at one time as well. Islanders too.

Here's hoping the penguins, hawks and kings next 25 years look like those last 25 years for the teams of the 70s and 80s.
You don't say. And the NHL had only 6 teams once? Amazing.

I personally appreciate the history lesson because I was freakishly born just yesterday and was immediately forced to join a hockey forum. Do you think these powerhouse teams will someday not be powerhouses?

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Hextall still needs to find a way to land another top 6 winger. So far, all he has done is re-sign a bunch of guys from a team that has lost 5 straight playoff series.

I think the Penguins will make a run at one of Copp or Burakovsky, or possibly even Kadri and move Geno to W. Or they may target a mid tier guy like Vatrano or Marchment.

I also wouldn't rule out putting all their chips in and making a pitch for a guy like JT Miller or someone else via trade if they can't get someone via the UFA route. I'm skeptical they have the assets, but they will try.

I think they will wait to see if they can get one of those top 6 guys before shipping out Zucker or one of Dumo/Pettersson to open up more cap space, And that is the prudent thing to do, rather than ship them out before knowing the cap space is needed.

But yes, another top 6 forward is certainly needed for them to be even better than they were last year.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
You don't say. And the NHL had only 6 teams once? Amazing.

I personally appreciate the history lesson because I was freakishly born just yesterday and was immediately forced to join a hockey forum. Do you think these powerhouse teams will someday not be powerhouses?
I'm only expressing my hopes for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad