Confirmed with Link: [PIT/OTT/VGK] Brassard/Dunn/Lindberg/3rd for Gustavsson/Cole/1st/3rd for Reaves/4th | VGK ret. 40%

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
I see why everyone hates us. I really do.

i've never been the kind of person to hate brilliance. i can, of course, see fans of other teams being upset that their team hasn't pulled moves like these. but for the life of me i can't wrap my mind around the mentality of hating the pens and resorting to tin-foil theories because they've pulled off great, innovative moves. i'm not talking about the tin-foil theories of the past. but rather the new en vogue ones of the last couple of years, namely the Rutherford years -- other teams GMs, and the league seem to be helping senile Jimmy pull off coup after coup. jealously of course is a natural instinct, but conspiracy, that's one step beyond. get mad at your own GMs and Owners. they are the ones that failed you.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Went to youtube to find highlights of Brassard. Found a lot of him scoring on us...especially in the playoffs. Watching the video all like:

giphy.gif

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Probably because you're trying to win more cups? Why are they moving Kessel because he's hit some arbitrary age you thought up in your head, especially given the way he's played and how important he's been in the last two playoff runs? It just doesn't make sense, I wouldn't bet that he'll decline too much either to be honest especially considering his play style. Also at 6.8, with the cap going up, that's solid value, even at 32.

Because the cap isn’t guaranteed to go up the next three years.

Because Kessel will be going UFA by the time we will likely have another crop of young talent.

Because you either pay players like Jake, Murray, Schultz, Hornqvist, etc or let them walk / trade them or move one of Kessel and Letang.

The cap crunch will hit. Much like we moved Neal out for Hornqvist.

Also, complacency with players. I’d rather get players that are fresh and hungry then a player that is getting paid.

Obviously, you don’t give Kessel or Letang away. But if I’m their early to mid 30s you can move them for a well positioned 1st and a solid prospect you have to start entertaining it.

If you want to be competitive you have to build back up the prospect pool. We did it from 13-14 through 14-15.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Because the cap isn’t guaranteed to go up the next three years. Supposed to go up next season, as high as $82mil.

Because Kessel will be going UFA by the time we will likely have another crop of young talent. Kessel may go to retirement after his contract with us is done...which is right about when our window will likely close.

Because you either pay players like Jake, Murray, Schultz, Hornqvist, etc or let them walk / trade them or move one of Kessel and Letang. Fair enough.

The cap crunch will hit. Much like we moved Neal out for Hornqvist. I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. That trade had nothing to do with cap. Not to mention it was Horny (4.25) + Spaling (signed at $2mil) for Neal ($5mil).

Also, complacency with players. I’d rather get players that are fresh and hungry then a player that is getting paid. Play should always be based on merit. Not "freshness".

Obviously, you don’t give Kessel or Letang away. But if I’m their early to mid 30s you can move them for a well positioned 1st and a solid prospect you have to start entertaining it. I would absolutely entertain a 2/3/4 + 1st + prospect for Letang.

If you want to be competitive you have to build back up the prospect pool. We did it from 13-14 through 14-15. Yes and no. We got lucky with a lot of later picks and free agents - Rust, 3rd. Guentzel, 3rd. Kuhny, 4th. Wilson, 6th. Murray, 3rd. We always had that pool of late pick "talent". We just never knew about it because Bylsma refused to play them or give them the look. We are still replacing that similar talent pool as we speak. Just depends on who you get lucky on. I would like to get a higher pick and start looking at future centers.

Does that mean we wont see many more videos of him? :(

Hopefully there is a nice compilation video in June ;)

He has quite the clapper eh?

Indeed he does. Gets his nose dirty too. If there was a guy to replace Bonino for the playoffs, I'm absolutely stoked it's him.

To be fair there is a large part of the fan base that I hate as well. That does not even get to our media.

29 teams lost a lottery in 2005.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I don't get what Visa he needs to get? Doesn't he already have a work Visa for the U.S. games? So he can just use that to get here and file for living adjustments to the work Visa.
What am I missing here?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I don't get what Visa he needs to get? Doesn't he already have a work Visa for the U.S. games? So he can just use that to get here and file for living adjustments to the work Visa.
What am I missing here?

It’ll be a different visa since he’ll live here

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah, but so what he can still get here. Doesn't he already have a work Visa?
He can get here now is my point.

New employer though. He could come here but wouldn’t be able to work. Then he’d have to leave the country and come in on his new visa. That’s even if he’s allowed to enter while the visa is being processed.

They have procedures and they don’t budge.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
New employer though. He could come here but wouldn’t be able to work. Then he’d have to leave the country and come in on his new visa. That’s even if he’s allowed to enter while the visa is being processed.

They have procedures and they don’t budge.

It's not a new employer though is it? The NHL is the employer. It's just a different franchise. I know we are talking about a bureaucracy here so I understand the paperwork, but it's just so weird he can't get here OR I guess I understand he could come here but would have to re-enter.
The re-enter nonsense makes the most sense.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lindberg is an intriguing prospect, I'm not sure he has that much upside, but he's huge and definitely has talent from what I've seen. He's a long shot prospect that may end up a 3rd line playmaking winger I'd imagine.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It’s kind of weird that he is staying with the wolves for the rest of the year.

I think it's because WBS is already so jammed at forward that they don't even need him. It makes more sense for him to stay with Chicago if that's the case. Then again, 2 teams are sharing the Wolves as an AHL team, so I'm not sure it's better.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
To me I interpret it that he's not really ours. Like it was a cap or paper transaction and he's going back to Ottawa at the end of the season or something.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Let go of players like Hagelin and Sheahan unless they're willing to sign for cheaper than what they're currently making, and try to re-sign guys like Brassard and Hornqvist.

Sheahan isn't worth 2m? He's a legit #3C and has played like a good one the vast majority of his time here. Hagelin is an obvious one, that unless he takes a decent cut, he won't be back. But RS? He deserves a raise... and we should be giving it to him.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Sheahan isn't worth 2m? He's a legit #3C and has played like a good one the vast majority of his time here. Hagelin is an obvious one, that unless he takes a decent cut, he won't be back. But RS? He deserves a raise... and we should be giving it to him.
He definitely is. And with so much of Brassards salary being retained you can afford a $2m 3/4C.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You figure JR will just bank the remaining cap space? JR, according to JR, is "all in"

Yeah I struggle to see JR not making a pair of minor moves... depth C and a depth D. Neither of which should be all that expensive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad