Confirmed with Link: [PIT/OTT/VGK] Brassard/Dunn/Lindberg/3rd for Gustavsson/Cole/1st/3rd for Reaves/4th | VGK ret. 40%

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The French Canadian hero won't be moved :cry:

I would've agreed . . . until December happened.

As long as he gives you what he's given you in the last month, he's safe. But, if he regresses to where he was in December-- and that's very possible to happen over the next year or two given how reliant he is on his speed to overcome his stupidity-- I wouldn't bank on him staying forever.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

As long as he gives you what he's given you in the last month, he's safe. But, if he regresses to where he was in December-- and that's very possible to happen over the next year or two given how reliant he is on his speed to overcome his stupidity-- I wouldn't bank on him staying forever.

I know, I am just in denial.

At least, we got another French Canadian hero yesterday. Pittsburgh, or should I say Fort Duquesne, needs its French Canadian heroes.

Reactions: KIRK

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

As the # 1 fan of Letang, I’m okay with this.

Play him the next two years then everyone who isn’t Malkin or Crosby is fair game to get us retooled if they bring in major pieces that help when they aren’t in their prime. That is how you win.

Kessel can be replaced. Murray has Jarry behind him who can replace him. Crosby and Malkin are Pitt legends, everyone else is a utility player.

Reactions: KIRK

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
So let's go through the list of possible targets (to varying degrees).

Domi, Hjalmarsson, Letestu, Richardson, Mcdonagh, Kane and maybe Cullen although unlikely. Anybody else?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So let's go through the list of possible targets (to varying degrees).

Domi, Hjalmarsson, Letestu, Richardson, Mcdonagh, Kane and maybe Cullen although unlikely. Anybody else?

I think Letestu and Cullen are the only possible targets for the Penguins. The rest are just people here being greedy, there's no way that the Penguins will go hard after McDonagh for example.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Play him the next two years then everyone who isn’t Malkin or Crosby is fair game to get us retooled if they bring in major pieces that help when they aren’t in their prime. That is how you win.

Kessel can be replaced. Murray has Jarry behind him who can replace him. Crosby and Malkin are Pitt legends, everyone else is a utility player.

All depends on what Kessel, Letang, and Murray are doing over the next 16 months.

Will say this . . . IF Murray is still the man, then you leverage the Jarry card. IF Jarry progresses as he has to date, then he's worth a pick in the 10-15 range . . . or a comparable asset(s).

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think Letestu and Cullen are the only possible targets for the Penguins. The rest are just people here being greedy, there's no way that the Penguins will go hard after McDonagh for example.

It's not about some people here being greedy . . .

It's that some of us understand where JR's mindset is.

Reactions: Andy99

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
You figure JR will just bank the remaining cap space? JR, according to JR, is "all in"

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You figure JR will just bank the remaining cap space?

No, hence why I said they'll be targeting Letestu and Cullen. It's not McDonagh or nothing.

I think they'll add a depth defensemen and possibly a better version of Rowney, I don't think they'll do more than that. JR is risking upsetting the balance of his team if he makes too many big trades.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
All depends on what Kessel, Letang, and Murray are doing over the next 16 months.

Will say this . . . IF Murray is still the man, then you leverage the Jarry card. IF Jarry progresses as he has to date, then he's worth a pick in the 10-15 range . . . or a comparable asset(s).

Well, duh. But at 32, if you can move Kessel and Letang for real assets why don’t you?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It's not about some people here being greedy . . .

It's that some of us understand where JR's mindset is.
Are there any other tidbits you can pass along? I would think adding a defensemen would be a priority at this point. And a RH to take face offs.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Definitely agree that there's this PO and next year with the current group minus Horny. Sad to say I think we likely won't be re-signing him. Regardless of what happens this PO, I'd like to see JR at least leverage Sheary, Hunwick and maybe Sprong if Sully won't play him in the offseason for a young forward or two with some term. Sign some more college FAs and we hedge our bets against having to trade Kessel, Letang etc if they are still useful players...

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I put some of that on the coaches, who the f*** thought playing him that much coming off that injury and recovery was a good idea? Was it Guerin? I bet it was Guerin. Then they kept f***ing doing it for months.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
Well, duh. But at 32, if you can move Kessel and Letang for real assets why don’t you?

Probably because you're trying to win more cups? Why are they moving Kessel because he's hit some arbitrary age you thought up in your head, especially given the way he's played and how important he's been in the last two playoff runs? It just doesn't make sense, I wouldn't bet that he'll decline too much either to be honest especially considering his play style. Also at 6.8, with the cap going up, that's solid value, even at 32.

Last edited:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Probably because you're trying to win more cups? Why are they moving Kessel because he's hit some arbitrary age you thought up in your head, especially given the way he's played and how important he's been in the last two playoff runs? It just doesn't make sense, I wouldn't bet that he'll decline too much either to be honest especially considering his play style. Also at 6.8, with the cap going up, that's solid value, even at 32.

Plus Kessel is one of the few Penguins to play virtually every game without injuries. Him and .... Craig Adams.

Reactions: CertifiedLurker

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Malkin, Crosby, Kessel, Brassard... I think I will never live to see a better Penguins roster. I'm still in amazement we got Kessel.

And Toronto, a team soon to be stressed under the cap and that we could well face for years to come in the post season, is helping finance our cup runs until 2021. Oh, and Vegas, who we could well face in the cup, is helping us out on Brassard. JR is a wily old dog.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
And Toronto, a team soon to be stressed under the cap and that we could well face for years to come in the post season, is helping finance our cup runs until 2021. Oh, and Vegas, who we could well face in the cup, is helping us out on Brassard. JR is a wily old dog.

Yeah, I have no words. I am speechless. I am without speech.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Only way we are getting McD is if Maatta is gone to NYR. and they eat 40%. Maatta, Sprong, 1st in 2019 for McD at 40% or something.

McDonagh-Letang
Dumo-Schultz

BUT I don't think we are going after a big name Dman, probably a bottom pair only.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

I'd keep Kessel....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad