Confirmed Trade: [PIT/OTT] Mike Condon for a 5th in 2017

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Pittsburgh got an asset for a player they lucked into and no longer need, and Ottawa gets insurance at a position that has become incredibly unstable over the last 10 days due to reasons completely out of their control, for the low low price of a 5th round pick.

Win-win, as far as I'm concerned.

Win-win-lost

Montréal didnt received something for

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Hoffman was a 5th rounder...

What is more likely?

The Sens get another Hoffman type player in this years 5th round or the player chosen with that pick doesn't really become an effective NHL player?

Another Sens fan posted on our board our history of 5th round picks and most of them didn't turn into effective NHL players except for Hoffman and Boro. Boro is not really an effective NHL player being that he is a dime a dozen bottom pairing dman.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I didn't know a guy claimed on the waivers could be traded so quickly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Parros

On October 2, 2006, he was waived by the Kings and picked up by the Colorado Avalanche. He would play in only two games for the Avalanche. Just a month later, on November 13, 2006, Parros was traded to the Anaheim Ducks for a 2nd round draft pick and an option to swap 3rd round picks. During the 2006–07 season he scored just one goal against the Chicago Blackhawks. He led the Ducks with 18 fighting majors during the regular season.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not to mention, if you're really that desperate for a 5th round pick you can make another deal to get one.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Joins the Martin Skoula club (though Condon did at least dress for the Penguins.)

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Wow, HF really loves draft picks, eh? :laugh:

Look at the stats. Less than 20% turn into an NHL player (defined as playing at least 50 career games). In that less than 20% group, they're not all guaranteed to even reach Condon's level of play. Plus, in the 4th-7th round pick range, there's not much of a difference. The Sens will have that same ~20% chance at landing an NHL player with their other picks that late.

I like this move from a Sens POV. Very little risk and we get a good insurance option. All things considered, Condon had a decent season behind a very struggling Montreal team last year. He's definitely not a starting goalie, but he's a better option than Driedger and I'm happy the Sens are making smart decisions like this after a 6-3 start to the season.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You're right:

Dominik Simon
Clark Seymour
Dominik Uher
Kenneth Agostino
Alex Velischek
Andy Bathgate
Alexandre Pechurski
Jake Muzzin - 07
Chad Johnson - 06

Tim Crowder

Bolded: The two 5th rounders who had made somewhat of an NHL career out of themselves.

Muzzin has made more than a somewhat career, he's a number 2 who has made Team Canada at a best on best.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
Muzzin has made more than a somewhat career, he's a number 2 who has made Team Canada at a best on best.

I'm not saying he's not a good player, but that was 9 drafts ago. Not saying they won't turn a nhl player with a 5th this draft year, just that the odds are slim that it will pan out better than Condon. Every team can draft a diamond in the rough, but it's not likely.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Usually, but the Pens did snag Dominik Simon with their fifth last season though and he has been a hell of a find.

Alfredsson was drafted in the sixth round.

But they are usually the exceptions.

Good for Pitt but I'm not losing sleep over it.

Gallagher was picked in the 5th round (almost the 6th as he was pick 147).

Some 5th rounders since 2005:

Darren Helm (2005)
Jamie Benn (2007)
Jake Muzzin (2007)
Matt Martin (2008)
Mike Hoffman (2009)
Brendan Gallagher (2010)
Andrew Shaw (2011)

They are exceptions, but...

Last edited:

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Most likely the 5th rounder needs up playing in Europe or AHL as a player.

If he turns to a gem awesome.

Understand why Ottawa made the trade. IMHO the dreaded 3 goalie system won't be a problem here

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
They are exceptions, but...

Lets be generous and fair to fifth rounders:

2005-2010 drafts. 6 drafts. Players in a 24-26 range where it should be obvious who will be a regular NHLer and who will not be.

6 drafts, 30 teams, 180 possible picks.

Skimming through that list I see 13 players who you could say have carved out careers in the NHL. Most of them are pretty uneventful bottom 6 or bottom pairing careers but they're hanging on to their NHL spots.

That's a 7.2% success ratio.

Ottawa needed a goalie to fill a gap if Anderson has to leave and/or Hammond is out longer than expected. A fifth round pick is worth almost nothing.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
What is more likely?

The Sens get another Hoffman type player in this years 5th round or the player chosen with that pick doesn't really become an effective NHL player?

Another Sens fan posted on our board our history of 5th round picks and most of them didn't turn into effective NHL players except for Hoffman and Boro. Boro is not really an effective NHL player being that he is a dime a dozen bottom pairing dman.

I wasnt implying that the 5th rounder was going to turn into a top 6 NHL'er nor do I have an issue with trading that pick for MC. My point is that a 5th rounder is worth more than a piece of candy, which was the original post quoted.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
This is great asset management by JR. Get a guy off the bone pile ... he gets 10 minutes makes 7 saves ... he is due to be waived because Pittsburgh wouldn't keep three G and they get a fifth in exchange. Awesome return.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
This is great asset management by JR. Get a guy off the bone pile ... he gets 10 minutes makes 7 saves ... he is due to be waived because Pittsburgh wouldn't keep three G and they get a fifth in exchange. Awesome return.

Ottawa will easily recoup that - unless Condon absolutely stinks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad