Proposal: PIT-CGY

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
They'd get a player that can put up more points and a draft pick. Also if the rumblings of Bennett being unhappy are true that would be incentive to trade him.

I'm sure we could make it a conditional 2nd ('21) if the Pens advance so far or something to that effect.

Source? And don't say Rick D.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
They'd get a player that can put up more points and a draft pick. Also if the rumblings of Bennett being unhappy are true that would be incentive to trade him.

I'm sure we could make it a conditional 2nd ('21) if the Pens advance so far or something to that effect.

When it comes to playoff hockey, Sam Bennett >>>>> Galchenyuk.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Nobody is saying Sam carries a ton of value... All we are saying is that he fills a need on this roster, and that he will not be moved for a pending UFA who is not a direct upgrade, nor fills a need. Bennett is obviously very available in a trade that fits our needs. We need a clear upgrade at forward, and if he can't be used in a package to get that then he is likely staying. Calgary may take a look at Galchenyuk in free agency - but I would be completely shocked if Bennett was moved for him with the contractual statuses of each player being as they are. That's not how Treliving operates.

Brad Treliving clearly values what Bennett can bring to this team as rumors of teams trying to acquire him on the cheap have been out there for the past few seasons... and he has yet to move him. If anything Treliving over values him.

Ok so seems you guys are quite locked in with him. No worries here, from an outsider perspective I am impressed you guys are cool with him being so offensively underwhelming. He must be really good defensively. Not trying to come off snarky...I don't watch enough of CGY to assess Bennett's impact away from the Offensive end.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Ok so seems you guys are quite locked in with him. No worries here, from an outsider perspective I am impressed you guys are cool with him being so offensively underwhelming. He must be really good defensively. Not trying to come off snarky...I don't watch enough of CGY to assess Bennett's impact away from the Offensive end.

I am not sure what people expect from him offensively while playing borderline fourth line minutes on a team that can't score goals this season. There is clearly more there - which is why multiple teams have shown an interest. The advanced stats also support that narrative.

Bennett is a buzzsaw that provides high energy, physicality, and individually creates a ton of high danger chances. He is also pound for pound one of the better fighters in the league. Unfortunately he and his teammates have had a tough time finishing, but many of us believe that has a ton to do with the lack of talent he is being played with and inconsistencies in roles/icetime. There are definitely some warts in his game, and he is by no means a perfect player and may never figure it out but there are too many signs there pointing to a potential breakout to move him for Galchenyuk as it stands now.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Bennett is infuriating for the average Calgary fan. We can all see the talent, but he hasn't learned how to score at this level. He is fast and tough and has learned how to play a strong 200 ft. game and that will keep him in the league for a long time. His possession stats are very good and he is third on the team in hits even if he's only played 34 games. He's not that bad taking face-offs and he'll fight if necessary. Personally I think the Falmes should have stuck with plan A and groomed him as a C in the AHL. They didn't and he's been the good soldier playing LW and RW.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I am not sure what people expect from him offensively while playing borderline fourth line minutes on a team that can't score goals this season. There is clearly more there - which is why multiple teams have shown an interest. The advanced stats also support that narrative.

Bennett is a buzzsaw that provides high energy, physicality, and individually creates a ton of high danger chances. He is also pound for pound one of the better fighters in the league. Unfortunately he and his teammates have had a tough time finishing, but many of us believe that has a ton to do with the lack of talent he is being played with and inconsistencies in roles/icetime. There are definitely some warts in his game, and he is by no means a perfect player and may never figure it out but there are too many signs there pointing to a potential breakout to move him for Galchenyuk as it stands now.

Fair enough. GMs are wild creatures and don't always go with reason. I would like to see Bennett in a change of scenery to see if he wakes up that side of his game.

I have slight hope as your GM did think Lucic was a good acquisition so anything's possible!

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

It's a weird situation akin to asking someone to sell a classic car at fair market value. The owner is probably not interested unless it's significantly above fair market value because there's still a replacement consideration that the buyer doesn't have to consider. Most buyers obviously aren't interested in that unless there's some other intangible reason why they must have that specific car.

It's not that Bennett is untouchable, but he's definitely infuriating. He shows tons of amazing flashes, then disappears for a bit. Then there's the absolutely additional frustrating levels where he modeled his game after Doug Gilmour and was coached by Doug Gilmour. Many Flames fans still remember the Doug Gilmour debacle to the point of PTSD, so there's those concerns too. He is also the highest ever draft pick for the Calgary Flames at 4th OA which complicates the level of disappointment in him.

I don't disagree with some of the criticisms and concerns from outside fan bases regarding Bennett, but it's obvious that many are trying to acquire him. If many outside fan bases seem to consider he will explode if given a change of scenery, then perhaps you can understand Flames concerns from the other side about his potential to explode and why quite a few fans are not interested in letting him go for anything other than an over payment and would rather hope for the long shot chance he just wakes up tomorrow and puts it all together. What he is now is a disappointment for sure, but he does still offer at the moment a tool set that is lacking on the Flames' roster. If I had to guess, majority of fans and not just a vocal minority would be the most comfortable with trading him for a similarly aged/contract status (RFA) under performing player with similar sky high ceiling and tool set, but is a RHS RW. That's going to be tough. Similar sky high potential is probably a 15th OA pick or above which no team in their right mind would move in a Bennett trade. Similar lateral moves most Flames fans probably are looking for are players like Josh Anderson and that's again probably another unlikely move for any outside organizations to move a guy like that.

Not all Flames fans requesting "ridiculous" counter offers on Bennett are attempting to be condescending about it. It's just that the explain the exceptionally high risks optics and otherwise of trading Bennett from our org for fair value is difficult to explain, especially if you read a stat sheet. It's a weird case for Bennett.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Then that's where the conversation ends.
Disagree.. I think pitt has alot Calgary would want... including everything from a capable backup to lots of bottom 6 to depth d man to middle line prospects.. remeber they are trading for a guy with minimal value around the league in comparison. Alot would argue alex G is equal value . I'd be willing to sweeten a bit .

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Disagree.. I think pitt has alot Calgary would want... including everything from a capable backup to lots of bottom 6 to depth d man to middle line prospects.. remeber they are trading for a guy with minimal value around the league in comparison. Alot would argue alex G is equal value . I'd be willing to sweeten a bit .

Why do the Flames need a backup or depth d-men from Pittsburgh? The Flames need a top 6 player who is more than just a support guy.

Galchenyuk isn't that, and Bennett is a much better bottom sixer.

For your reference:

Goalies: Rittich (all start) and Talbot (great numbers for a backup)
D-Men: Giordano, Brodie, Hanifin, Hamonic, Andersson, Kylington, Stone, Valimaki.

I just don't see the Pens as having much to offer the Flames that will help them now. Bad trading partners.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017

Like i said I have no interest in trading Bennett, I'd do Janks or Czarnik before Bennett, he brings much more than just points, with Galchenyuk coming to Calgary I'd want at least 30% retention, his cap is way to high for us to acquire full on.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
You want his 6 points this season? Why? I'd rather have Beau Bennett than Sam.

I'm not as quick to give up on a 23 year old who has pedigree and shows flashes of skill that plays a solid 200 foot game with some grit. Rather have Beau Bennett? Thats just silly

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Flames without Bennett are soft as butter. We need more players like him. He reminds me a lot of Jason Wiemer. Former top 8 pick that never scored like he did in the juniors but had a successful career of doing the little things to win games. And I don’t know where people get the idea that Flames need a goalie.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Why do the Flames need a backup or depth d-men from Pittsburgh? The Flames need a top 6 player who is more than just a support guy.

Galchenyuk isn't that, and Bennett is a much better bottom sixer.

For your reference:

Goalies: Rittich (all start) and Talbot (great numbers for a backup)
D-Men: Giordano, Brodie, Hanifin, Hamonic, Andersson, Kylington, Stone, Valimaki.

I just don't see the Pens as having much to offer the Flames that will help them now. Bad trading partners.
Brodie leaving .... Talbot is average at best. Bennett is a bottom 6 guy but has value. Alex G is a mid level forward on a expiring deal. Way more offense upside to alex over bennett. Alex G will score more goals every year than Bennett. He just doesn't fit in great with pens style. Flames are NOT gettimg a top 6 from anyone for Bennett. Pipe dream buddy. They had a top 6 who they gave to Edmonton in james neal you know the one scoring a crap load of goals for the oilers ...if you desire a top 6 that can really make a difference its gonna cost huge ...

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Brodie leaving .... Talbot is average at best. Bennett is a bottom 6 guy but has value. Alex G is a mid level forward on a expiring deal. Way more offense upside to alex over bennett. Alex G will score more goals every year than Bennett. He just doesn't fit in great with pens style. Flames are NOT gettimg a top 6 from anyone for Bennett. Pipe dream buddy. They had a top 6 who they gave to Edmonton in james neal you know the one scoring a crap load of goals for the oilers ...if you desire a top 6 that can really make a difference its gonna cost huge ...
James Neal is not a top 6. He does more damage than good. The flames are not the only team giving up on him. Only the desperate oilers can use him because they have no depth and he is still a big minus player with all the goals

And nobody suggests Bennett straight up for a top 6.

Alex G is only good if he can score like a top 6. If he is not, he is worse than Bennett just like Neal was when he was with the flames. I don't mind if the flames give him a shot but they shouldn't give up anything substantial.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nanuuk

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
James Neal is not a top 6. He does more damage than good. The flames are not the only team giving up on him. Only the desperate oilers can use him because they have no depth and he is still a big minus player with all the goals

And nobody suggests Bennett straight up for a top 6.

Alex G is only good if he can score like a top 6. If he is not, he is worse than Bennett just like Neal was when he was with the flames. I don't mind if the flames give him a shot but they shouldn't give up anything substantial.
Bennett is nothing substantial. 6 points I believe?? Alot less then alex G who has WAY more offensive upside. . Bennett brings some other intangibles that make him attractive to teams like Pitt however none of them are going to give alot to acquire. It's a low risk deal for pens ..high risk higher reward for flames.
As for james neal , you realize he has more goals than johnny G right ? On pace for 30 plus? He most certainly is a top 6 in the right situation like he is in now. Just because the flames had zero idea of how to use him effectively and it cost them.....brodie gonna walk at year end....

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

If you don't pay attention to what they want, how are you going to actually know what they want?

Calgary's needs right now are basically RH forwards, RH forwards, and RH forwards.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Bennett is nothing substantial. 6 points I believe?? Alot less then alex G who has WAY more offensive upside. . Bennett brings some other intangibles that make him attractive to teams like Pitt however none of them are going to give alot to acquire. It's a low risk deal for pens ..high risk higher reward for flames.
As for james neal , you realize he has more goals than johnny G right ? On pace for 30 plus? He most certainly is a top 6 in the right situation like he is in now. Just because the flames had zero idea of how to use him effectively and it cost them.....brodie gonna walk at year end....

Bennett is played to keep the other team on their toes, we know he can't carry his own line, that's why we're trying to get him a line mate that can help him, no Flames fan is trying to trade Bennett, only other teams keep asking for him, just drop him out of the proposals we're not trading someone we need, we're trading expendable pieces, id trade Bennett for a player like him, hugh draft slot but just hasn't put the tools to use with his current team, not someone older and 1 dimensional, we are not trying to trade Bennett

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
There is no reward trading for a slumping UFA...unless the cost is very low. Bennett is more useful.
As for Neal as I said he costs as many goals against as for. We don't want him. It's not about Neal. Stay on topic.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
There is no reward trading for a slumping UFA...unless the cost is very low. Bennett is more useful.
As for Neal as I said he costs as many goals against as for. We don't want him. It's not about Neal. Stay on topic.
Flames fan say thay now as they admire his 19 goals and more to come..has to suck to watch a guy they gave away basically get back to his potential but its completely on the flames organization. Bennett is Ok . Teams have interest. Teams have interest in Alex G too because of fit . You know the same fit issues neal had ? Perhaps alex finds his groove and puts up some goals ...or not ...more risk and reward for flames.. pens would know they getting a bottom 6 guy with limited ceiling but can plug a hole . If the flames are all about RH forwards flip alex because they are not going to be sorting through a slew of offers better than that

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I think you guys are being obtuse at this point. Bennett's value is in physical play. Galchenyuk isn't capable of playing a bottom six role and he's not especially great in the top six.

The Flames aren't trading Bennett for a top 6, or at all. They plan to keep him, as he was the best skater in the playoffs last year. Also Neal has scored one point in his last 7 games, and that's with pp time with McDavid. He's not a good option for the Flames.

Talbot is perfect as a backup right now. Much better numbers than Murray.

You really don't know what you're talking about. The flames aren't trading you Bennett for galchenyuk.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
From this thread, I learned that physicality means nothing.
Also, fun fact, Bennett has been used as a trade chip before; each time it revolved around picking up a significant piece. Rumour was he was part of Calgary's 'Hockey Deal' for Taylor Hall.

Janko for Galchenyuk; sure.
Bennett? No chance. Brings more to his game than just points. Gally wouldn't be anything in our bottom 6, unlike Bennett who can play up and down for us.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Flames fan say thay now as they admire his 19 goals and more to come..has to suck to watch a guy they gave away basically get back to his potential but its completely on the flames organization. Bennett is Ok . Teams have interest. Teams have interest in Alex G too because of fit . You know the same fit issues neal had ? Perhaps alex finds his groove and puts up some goals ...or not ...more risk and reward for flames.. pens would know they getting a bottom 6 guy with limited ceiling but can plug a hole . If the flames are all about RH forwards flip alex because they are not going to be sorting through a slew of offers better than that

We also admire his -20 and increasing and the bad attitude. No Flames fan is missing Neal that I know of. Only the trolls that know nothing about the Flames.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad