Proposal: PIT-CGY

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Good luck with that.
I don't think it'd be out of the question. Galchenyuk has largely been a disappointment, but has still been on average, a 48pt player in this league.

Sam Bennett on average has barely been a 30pt player in this league and if Galchenyuk is a disappointment, Sam Bennett is a gross disappointment in comparison. But he does 2 things that this coach likes, fairly well - A solid 2-way game and W/C.

He's on pace for 14pts, Galchenyuk is on pace for 32pts while being mostly not a fit on any line on the Pens, it's more comical the hate Galchenyuk gets, while being called disastrous by most Pens fans and still being on a 32pt pace.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So Sam Bennett, who has a whopping 6 points on the season, is untouchable?
14pt pace is apparently greater than a guy that is a career 48pt guy, being on a 32pt pace. Then there's apparently the rumors that Sam Bennett wants off, whereas for Chucky, it's more or less the team just wants to move him as he's not a fit.

But Malkin wants him around so he can keep stealing his sticks.

Reactions: BHD

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
So Sam Bennett, who has a whopping 6 points on the season, is untouchable?
Probably more due to UFA vs RFA or something. Maybe also due to cap hits and they don't want their team to spend the pro rated space on Gally. That's all I got tbh.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Okay. Then the Flames get a couple more years to figure out what the heck to do with Bennett until he becomes a UFA.

Reactions: 66-30-33

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Probably more due to UFA vs RFA or something. Maybe also due to cap hits and they don't want their team to spend the pro rated space on Gally. That's all I got tbh.
It's a difference of 2.4m or something like that between their two salaries, the other difference being the Flames don't have the 2.5m/yr for 1 more year on their books. As well as keeping a guy that doesn't want to be there anymore.

There's not much else they can dump off for cap relief otherwise, Lucic would need to be another horrible contract coming back or such a huge overpayment with him to dump him to a team that has a ton of cap space and will happily take the enticing extra's, but Bennett, has 1 more year. It'd also give them 19.4m in cap space next year.

Reactions: 66-30-33

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Bennett is more valuable because he plays a difficult two way play with toughness and aggression

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Okay. Then the Flames get a couple more years to figure out what the heck to do with Bennett until he becomes a UFA.
Meanwhile, he's reportedly wanting out and that's a distraction on a team that has more than enough of them so far. Seems like a good plan just to hang on to a kid that doesn't want to be there and hasn't worked out there.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Bennett is more valuable because he plays a difficult two way play with toughness and aggression
That really doesn't mean a great deal in terms of value when he's been in the league for a while now, has a career average of 29pts, is on a career low of 14pts, is asking to be moved, and has 1 more year left on his contract. Galchenyuk gets a bad rap from us because of who he was moved for, but he's been playing fine, just can't find any chemistry with anyone in the line-up and while he's done that, a career average 48pt player is on pace for 32pts, more than double the pace Bennett is on, while mostly also playing in the Pens bottom 6.

Both are young, both are former 1sts.

His value 3yrs ago might have been different, for Sam, but 5yrs in, he's still a guy that produces like a 3rd/4th liner, that was drafted 4th overall.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Meanwhile, he's reportedly wanting out and that's a distraction on a team that has more than enough of them so far. Seems like a good plan just to hang on to a kid that doesn't want to be there and hasn't worked out there.

I haven't seen that report.

Also, I'm not enamoured with either of them to be honest. So I'm not just dumping on Bennett.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I haven't seen that report.

Also, I'm not enamoured with either of them to be honest. So I'm not just dumping on Bennett.
I'm not dumping on Bennett, I think he has more to his game, but has been squandered in Calgary for years now, he's just not gaining any traction there and is one of the biggest cases of "change of scenery" if I've ever seen one.

Some sports reporter, Rick D-something I believe his name is, tweeted it. It's since been removed. It was posted in the Pens trade thread.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
That really doesn't mean a great deal in terms of value when he's been in the league for a while now, has a career average of 29pts, is on a career low of 14pts, is asking to be moved, and has 1 more year left on his contract. Galchenyuk gets a bad rap from us because of who he was moved for, but he's been playing fine, just can't find any chemistry with anyone in the line-up and while he's done that, a career average 48pt player is on pace for 32pts, more than double the pace Bennett is on, while mostly also playing in the Pens bottom 6.

Both are young, both are former 1sts.

His value 3yrs ago might have been different, for Sam, but 5yrs in, he's still a guy that produces like a 3rd/4th liner, that was drafted 4th overall.

Asking to be moved? Source?
There's more to hockey than just points... so your argument is invalid. Good night.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Asking to be moved? Source?
There's more to hockey than just points... so your argument is invalid. Good night.
Speculation: - Flames players want out

There is more to hockey, for sure, Sam Bennett has produced offensive numbers that are more in line with 3rd-4th line production, more so 4th line production. Galchenyuk on average, has produced like a 2nd-3rd line player, more notably, his career average is 48pts, while being a decent forward that is getting a bad rap on the Pens because he hasn't fit with Sid or Geno, who people think magically work with everyone and really don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad