Proposal: PIT-CGY

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I'm comparing the players - not the contracts. But hey, if that's the value proposition with Bennett, then great.
Definitely want Bennett on the pens and if it takes alex G plus so be it .

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Definitely want Bennett on the pens and if it takes alex G plus so be it .

Calgary has no incentive to move Bennett for a pending UFA that is not a significant upgrade. He fills a need on this roster and has show a penchant to up his game in the playoffs.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
There is a deal to be had here and reports before of Pittsburgh targeting bennett before. I see brodie being a good fit as well

Bennett and brodie for alex G justin Shultz and chocie pick/prospect ...up to a 3rd maybe .

Somewhere to start. Other penguins available nick Bjugstad, Rikola ,

Improves pitt. Calgary breaks even in D . The pick offsets alex for Bennett.

Letang dumo
Brodie Pettersen
Johnson Marino

McCann bennet and tanev would be a great line

Name your top 5(bold top two/untouchables) prospects with positions please.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
As a pens fan would definitely be interested in Bennett. Feel like a change of scenery could do him some good. Not sure why he hasnt really put it together in Calgary.......maybe he just isn't the player most thought he would be and will never put it together.

I could also see the pens taking him on and turning it around, they have done it with many players and hes still only 23.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
As a pens fan would definitely be interested in Bennett. Feel like a change of scenery could do him some good. Not sure why he hasnt really put it together in Calgary.......maybe he just isn't the player most thought he would be and will never put it together.

I could also see the pens taking him on and turning it around, they have done it with many players and hes still only 23.

Id take Schultz at 30%?

Janks + 3rd for Galchenyuk at 50%?

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Id take Schultz at 30%?

Janks + 3rd for Galchenyuk at 50%?

Don't think we will be retaining on either and at the end of the day I would probably just take the 3rd straight up for AG if you want him.

Schultz will be UFA.......I'd like to see him back this season for a playoff run as I think he fills out our D nicely. Not totally against moving him but Bennett is more of a reclamation at this point.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
it's more comical the hate Galchenyuk gets, while being called disastrous by most Pens fans and still being on a 32pt pace.

Well, he sucks in the process. His 32 point pace has looked ****ing bad. He doesn't really do anything other than get a point every 3-4 games.

Unless I'm just missing his highlights, which is possible. I've missed a decent amount of games, but he's been fairly awful in each I've seen.

flamesburnoil

Feb 18, 2015
I'm comparing the players - not the contracts. But hey, if that's the value proposition with Bennett, then great.
Ok if you just want to compare players and not contract and age fine Bennett is still way better
Huge playoff performances in every year last year he was our best forward and every team cuvettes play off performers
Better 2 way game
And ya that physical gritty tenacious play that you can't teach players but make a difference on the ice but doesn't show up in the stats

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Don't think we will be retaining on either and at the end of the day I would probably just take the 3rd straight up for AG if you want him.

Schultz will be UFA.......I'd like to see him back this season for a playoff run as I think he fills out our D nicely. Not totally against moving him but Bennett is more of a reclamation at this point.

AG straight up has little value since its more than Froliks cap that we traded away, i would not pay more to a 5th at 35% retained

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
BTW Sam Bennett kind of reminds me of a young Kunitz, love his physicality
Agreed... he would fit right in... an instant fan favorite and a line of tanev Bennett and McCann might be the hardest line to play against in the NHL

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
14pt pace is apparently greater than a guy that is a career 48pt guy, being on a 32pt pace. Then there's apparently the rumors that Sam Bennett wants off, whereas for Chucky, it's more or less the team just wants to move him as he's not a fit.

But Malkin wants him around so he can keep stealing his sticks.

That's gotta be worth another 20 pts right there!

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Chucky 50% + 3rd for Bennett

Salary balances, you can take Chucky for a test run, Bennett is rumored to want out correct? Seems like he's stalled offensively in Calgary. Galchenyuk has 10 more points than him on the year while being relegated to our 4th line playing with AHL call-ups...

I struggle to see how Bennett is so valuable bc of draft position years ago? It seems your GM may feel differently on the value of him as the fanbase does...which is typical. All fans overrate their players.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Salary balances, you can take Chucky for a test run, Bennett is rumored to want out correct? Seems like he's stalled offensively in Calgary. Galchenyuk has 10 more points than him on the year while being relegated to our 4th line playing with AHL call-ups...

I struggle to see how Bennett is so valuable bc of draft position years ago? It seems your GM may feel differently on the value of him as the fanbase does...which is typical. All fans overrate their players.

What does Chucky and a 3rd do for Calgary? Ever think about it from their perspective??

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
What does Chucky and a 3rd do for Calgary? Ever think about it from their perspective??

They'd get a player that can put up more points and a draft pick. Also if the rumblings of Bennett being unhappy are true that would be incentive to trade him.

I'm sure we could make it a conditional 2nd ('21) if the Pens advance so far or something to that effect.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

Nobody is saying Sam carries a ton of value... All we are saying is that he fills a need on this roster, and that he will not be moved for a pending UFA who is not a direct upgrade, nor fills a need. Bennett is obviously very available in a trade that fits our needs. We need a clear upgrade at forward, and if he can't be used in a package to get that then he is likely staying. Calgary may take a look at Galchenyuk in free agency - but I would be completely shocked if Bennett was moved for him with the contractual statuses of each player being as they are. That's not how Treliving operates.

Brad Treliving clearly values what Bennett can bring to this team as rumors of teams trying to acquire him on the cheap have been out there for the past few seasons... and he has yet to move him. If anything Treliving over values him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad