Confirmed Trade: [PIT/BUF] Conor Sheary and Evan Rodrigues for Dominik Kahun

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Fact of the matter is he was frequently the worst forward on the ice for Buffalo. That's on him, not his teammates. The Sabres depth is bad BECAUSE it's filled with players like Sheary. If Crosby can make him marginally useful for you guys, good for you. He's not a good hockey player, though.

Sheary was more than "marginally useful" even when away from Crosby and Malkin. Odd... he was a good hockey player before he went to Buffalo. :huh:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Sheary was more than "marginally useful" even when away from Crosby and Malkin. Odd... he was a good hockey player before he went to Buffalo. :huh:

He has been terribly inconsistent here in Buffalo this year. Most games, you could barely tell he was playing....and when you would notice him, he'd be on the ice cuz he tripped over something or other. He always showed up for Pens games. And had been showing up the last 5 games or so.

But he has been very disappointing this year for us.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think calling Sheary super inconsistent is completely fair, his biggest flaw as a player is that he goes for long stretches of time with doing nothing. However, I think it's too far to say he's a bad player overall. He's an inconsistent 30-40 point winger who needs to be playing with good players to succeed. He's not anything insanely good, but he's a solid piece to have.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He has been terribly inconsistent here in Buffalo this year. Most games, you could barely tell he was playing....and when you would notice him, he'd be on the ice cuz he tripped over something or other. He always showed up for Pens games. And had been showing up the last 5 games or so.

But he has been very disappointing this year for us.

PTSD engaged

Reactions: Lustaf

TrueTT

Dec 12, 2018
Guelph, ON
Have a feeling Sheary-Malkin-Rust gonna go back to 2016-17 levels. Eichel/Mittelstad can’t get the most out of a player the way Malkin can.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
source.gif

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Sheary is underrated. His best stretch of hockey was waaaay better than anything Kahun has done. Who knows how he’s playing now but acting like Kahun has more potential is absurd. Sheary has an actual 53 points in 61 games season on his resume already and last time I checked Crosby isn’t injured so it could potentially happen again.
Heh, Sheary is awful. Good riddance. It'll be interesting to see what E Rod does on a good team. He could become a good top-9 player.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Have a feeling Sheary-Malkin-Rust gonna go back to 2016-17 levels. Eichel/Mittelstad can’t get the most out of a player the way Malkin can.

Eichel has no problem getting a lot out of players with a modicum of finishing skill, so that's hardly the issue. Mittelstadt is currently in Rochester, and has been there for a while.

The most complimentary thing to say about Sheary was he was inconsistent, but tended towards bad most of the time. If you force feed him minutes with Malkin or Crosby, he might produce, though I could probably put in 30 points playing with them myself.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Heh, Sheary is awful. Good riddance. It'll be interesting to see what E Rod does on a good team. He could become a good top-9 player.

Will Rodriquez even dress when/if Aston-Reese and/or Bujstad come back? He feels like a throw in player in this trade.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Based on his 2 goals in his last 21 games, recent injuries and worse underlying analytics than Sheary or because he has a cooler European name? Kahun is a good depth piece, but he’s like identical to Sheary outside the fact that at least Sheary is good in spurts with Crosby while Kahun didn’t mesh with anyone besides McCann.
Lol, nice biased spin post.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
even if he was the throw-in for now, he's still RFA so he could fill in next year if/when Sheary/Marleau leave/injures.

Curious to see what happens with Rodrigues, he's already making $2 million and while he's not had a great year his career PPG puts him at 30 points a season which is 3rd liner numbers. If he does well for the Pens maybe they sign him for a 1 year prove it kind of deal.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Curious to see what happens with Rodrigues, he's already making $2 million and while he's not had a great year his career PPG puts him at 30 points a season which is 3rd liner numbers. If he does well for the Pens maybe they sign him for a 1 year prove it kind of deal.

Pens might sign him, but 2M is way too much for him. 1.25 or so seems like the correct range.

Reactions: ownal

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Pens might sign him, but 2M is way too much for him. 1.25 or so seems like the correct range.

I'd go with 1.5m depending how he looks. 2M is too much given he's on pace for 20 points this season.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Sheary isn’t good with the puck and he isn’t good without the puck. He’s basically only useful on the rush to occasionally receive a pass that he doesn’t flub and get off a shot from near the face off dots. He doesn’t go to the net, he’s not good along the boards. He’s not a play maker, i’d wager nearly all of his assists come from retrieving a puck and passing it back to the blue line, and the defenseman then makes a play leading to a goal.

I think what Sheary did best as a Sabre was lose possession for the team basically as soon as he touched the puck, or failed to touch the puck as was often the case. An unbelievable number of offensive zone possesione/cycles died because Sheary failed to make a play.

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
As a Buffalo fan, I'm a little sad to see Erod go. I had really high hopes for him coming into this year, I figured he'd get some top 6 time considering our lack of depth but he just never got it going in RK's system. I'm wishing him well and can see him being very good for Pitts down the stretch.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I'd go with 1.5m depending how he looks. 2M is too much given he's on pace for 20 points this season.

A lot will be decided on how Rodriguez plays for us. If Rodriguez plays well and regains his form over the past two years and also plays well in the playoffs I could easily see him signing for $2 million again. Rodriguez has averaged 30+ points per 82 games coming into this year so he could easily hit it off with the Pens.

I don't consider Rodriguez a throw in at all. Rodriguez might end up being the bigger piece of this deal. Sheary obviously had a great season on Crosby's line when he had 53 points in 61 games in our 2016 Cup season. So Sheary could be a big help to the team this season but can leave after this season. Rodriguez can be a big help as a 30+ point two way player for the next several years. Let's see how this all plays out. Win a Cup and I could see both back.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
You heard it here first.. both sheary and Marleau will score more playoff goals than Zucker including a least one game winner....take it to the bank

Reactions: ownal

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
You heard it here first.. both sheary and Marleau will score more playoff goals than Zucker including a least one game winner....take it to the bank

I hope your right because Zucker is a proven 20+ goal scorer the past 3 years and if Marleau and Sheary are outproducing him in the playoffs the Cup is ours for sure.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Rodriguez is a very underrated player. You will be pleasantly surprised.

I hope your right. Rodriguez is the reason I am optimistic about the deal after originally hating it. I know Sheary can produce well with Crosby and also be a 30+ point player on a 3rd line but he is a UFA this summer. Rodriguez being an RFA and also having his last two seasons producing at a 30+ point pace over 82 game full season playing mostly 3rd line duty gives me a lot of hope he can be a productive bottom six for the Pens over our next 3-4 Cup runs since he is only 26.

I think this deal along with the Marleau and Zucker deals make the Pens even more faster than the 2016 Pens Cup team. Those 4 added to players like Rust, Tanev, and McCann give the Pens a ton of speed on the wings. Although players like McCann or Rodriguez might get a shot at 3C like tonight Rodriguez is playing 3C. Of course our Center speed is pretty good also with Crosby, Malkin, Blueger, and whoever Pens put in that 3C spot. This team is made for Sullivan's system and we all know how that went last time Rutherford gave him the horses needed to play that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $25.00