Confirmed Trade: [PIT/BUF] Conor Sheary and Evan Rodrigues for Dominik Kahun

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
ERod sucks and Sheary was far too inconsistent. Some games Sheary would look like a legit LW2 and then the other 90% he is falling over and flubbing shots and tap ins. Very happy with the trade.

BeTheBallDanny

Oct 30, 2013
Don’t think you’re getting nothing out of erod, he can play with talented players. PIT might be a great situation for him

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Sheary will produce some offense and Rogrigues will probably fit just fine, but that doesn't change that Kahun was better than both of them and I'd rather have him than both of these players.

Good deal for Buffalo.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I hate this move so much. Kuhan was a solid player with some potential. Sheary is a useless hobbit.
Kahun was not very good. Watched him live the other night. So out of place when he is with skilled players . He couldnt take a pass to save his life. I like the move. More depth.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Lol for the Penguins, if I was a Pens fan I would MUCH have rather kept Kahun easily.

Based on his 2 goals in his last 21 games, recent injuries and worse underlying analytics than Sheary or because he has a cooler European name? Kahun is a good depth piece, but he’s like identical to Sheary outside the fact that at least Sheary is good in spurts with Crosby while Kahun didn’t mesh with anyone besides McCann.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I hate this move so much. Kuhan was a solid player with some potential. Sheary is a useless hobbit.

It's true. Here is footage of Sheary after learning he had been traded:

giphy.gif

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Based on his 2 goals in his last 21 games, recent injuries and worse underlying analytics than Sheary or because he has a cooler European name? Kahun is a good depth piece, but he’s like identical to Sheary outside the fact that at least Sheary is good in spurts with Crosby while Kahun didn’t mesh with anyone besides McCann.

He was just as good with Malkin and Rust.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I've never been a Sheary fan. Thought it was patently absurd the way some people treated him while ignoring the obvious Crosby/Malkin factor...

But this deal makes a lot of sense to me. The Penguins basically pull a two-for-one depth move. They get a guy in Sheary who at worst, they know can be reasonably productive with their anchor Centers if necessary. Plus another serviceable enough depth player. With financial commitments to neither, beyond this season.

For the price of one Kahun.

Seems fair, and a decent way of loading up depth for a playoff run without really giving up much of anything too important.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
So the Penguins basically added four new forwards (and subtracted two) in a week. That seems like a lot.

Pretty much.

IN: Zucker, Marlaeu, Sheary, Rodrigues (Bjugstad Soon)
Out: Galchenyuk and Kahun

Either way the Penguins forward depth got much better heading into the playoff push. Not to mention bjugstad is coming back soon as well who is another solid bottom 6 guy.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Pretty much.

IN: Zucker, Marlaeu, Sheary, Rodrigues (Bjugstad Soon)
Out: Galchenyuk and Kahun

Either way the Penguins forward depth got much better heading into the playoff push. Not to mention bjugstad is coming back soon as well who is another solid bottom 6 guy.

Don't forget about Zach Aston-Reese.

You forgot about Zach Aston-Reese.

Zach Aston-Reese will be back soon. In the Penguins lineup. In the NHL. In this timeline. In this physical space we occupy for some reason.

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
Sheary is underrated. His best stretch of hockey was waaaay better than anything Kahun has done. Who knows how he’s playing now but acting like Kahun has more potential is absurd. Sheary has an actual 53 points in 61 games season on his resume already and last time I checked Crosby isn’t injured so it could potentially happen again.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Sheary is underrated. His best stretch of hockey was waaaay better than anything Kahun has done. Who knows how he’s playing now but acting like Kahun has more potential is absurd. Sheary has an actual 53 points in 61 games season on his resume already and last time I checked Crosby isn’t injured so it could potentially happen again.

Lots of people. The answer is very, very badly. He'll have maybe 1 good game per month (usually against the Pens, so not sure how many Pittsburgh can expect from him since they can't play themselves) and then spend the rest of his time mishandling the puck and falling down.

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
Sheary is more frustrating than bad, he's quite productive for being "trash" and he's not terrible defensively.

He falls down, misses simple passes and shots and makes idiotic decisions sometimes. That contributes to his low standing among fans, but no one can deny he has a knack at being in the right spot at the right time and actually contributing offensively. 35 points isn't nothing.

E-rod has to be the poster boy for inconsistency. Looks very talented and about to break out 20% of the time and just disappears and loses every puck battle for the other 80%.
I have no idea what the future holds for him, could be an average third liner or relegated to the AHL.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I've never been a Sheary fan. Thought it was patently absurd the way some people treated him while ignoring the obvious Crosby/Malkin factor...

But this deal makes a lot of sense to me. The Penguins basically pull a two-for-one depth move. They get a guy in Sheary who at worst, they know can be reasonably productive with their anchor Centers if necessary. Plus another serviceable enough depth player. With financial commitments to neither, beyond this season.

For the price of one Kahun.

Seems fair, and a decent way of loading up depth for a playoff run without really giving up much of anything too important.

He does make a lot of sense in terms of his past connections to the team and his skillset. He knows the players, he knows the room and knows the systems. And he adds skill on the wing to a team missing skill on the wing due to the Guentzel injury. So I agree with you he makes sense, and have been commenting the past few weeks about how as a buy low addition he'd be a smart get. But he makes sense to have in addition to Kahun not instead of him. Going from Simon/Kahun to Simon/Sheary as our two most skilled wingers doesn't do all that much for a team missing skill on the wing. At least if all three (Simon, Kahun & Sheary) where here, you put the best/hottest two on L1/2 and whomever is left out gets L3/4.

Sheary is faster and better offensively but Kahun is a very well rounded forward who had the ability to hang onto the puck and make plays. Now hopefully this works out better then most suspect it will... but unless Marleau gets new legs and suddenly can play 15 mins a night on a scoring line, it's quite likely that not having Kahun here is going to cause issues down the line when one of Sheary/Simon go cold.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
So the Penguins basically added four new forwards (and subtracted two) in a week. That seems like a lot.

First off Gally was always going to be moved. Fans knew this by early Dec that he wasn't a fit. Dude tried hard, put in the work and never complained, but it wasn't working. So him being moved was never a surprise - other than how long it took to happen. Kahun being sent out was a surprise, and one I would have rather not happened... but lets see how Rodrigues does. Maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised.

The player who was supposed to be our 3c has played 10 games so far this season and didn't look good in those games (Bjugstad). The good news is those games were sandwiched between a pair of injuries, so odds are when he does come back he'll be better then he was. But losing him and not being entirely sure what version of him we were going to get back required McCann to move to the middle and us bring in another forward to replace McCann who was slotted in Sept/Oct to be a top 6/9 winger (dependent on fit/success).

And then there's Guentzel who's out for the season. We probably still needed Zucker even before that due to McCann moving to the middle due to Bjugs being on IR, but losing him meant we needed another top 6 guy. Zucker was a nice add, but we were still lacking skill on the wings. Sheary helps that.

Marleau and Rodrigues are nice depth pieces who can move around the lineup as needed. Maybe it's overkill as now when healthy we'll be sitting 1 quality depth NHLer as opposed to having AHL callup's as our 13F. But for a team looking to contend for the cup, that's the kind of depth GMs/coaches want to have.

BigVegas17

Mar 4, 2018
Kahun had the most upside and most potential of any of the players in the trade. Which is exactly why it was 2-for-1. Pens need more forward depth for a run and they achieved that. I really liked Kahun and hope he kills it with Buffalo. For this run, this was a good move for the Pens IMO. Gotta give to get.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Lots of people. The answer is very, very badly. He'll have maybe 1 good game per month (usually against the Pens, so not sure how many Pittsburgh can expect from him since they can't play themselves) and then spend the rest of his time mishandling the puck and falling down.

I don't want to dump on Buffalo, but feel the need to state the obvious here. Sheary is an offense only winger who's best suited for L3 or maybe L1/2 if everything clicks. He (when last in PIT) was good from the blueline in and excellent at gaining the OZ with the puck. His offense was that of a ~35pt depth winger. Even in BUF he's in the top 3rd of the forwards in terms of puck possession. And while I agree his 19pts in 55 games doesn't look so hot... when your 3rd leading scorer only has 40pts and Sheary is tied for 6th, that says a lot about the depth and role Buffalo was looking for out of him. In Pittsburgh he'll be asked or rather depended on to do less. I'm not happy losing Kahun for him as I think that between the three of Simon, Kahun and Sheary we would have been able to have at least one and hopefully two of those guys playing well enough to do what we needed out of them. But I do think that getting Sheary was a smart move. Just not at the cost of Kahun.

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
I don't want to dump on Buffalo, but feel the need to state the obvious here. Sheary is an offense only winger who's best suited for L3 or maybe L1/2 if everything clicks. He (when last in PIT) was good from the blueline in and excellent at gaining the OZ with the puck. His offense was that of a ~35pt depth winger. Even in BUF he's in the top 3rd of the forwards in terms of puck possession. And while I agree his 19pts in 55 games doesn't look so hot... when your 3rd leading scorer only has 40pts and Sheary is tied for 6th, that says a lot about the depth and role Buffalo was looking for out of him. In Pittsburgh he'll be asked or rather depended on to do less. I'm not happy losing Kahun for him as I think that between the three of Simon, Kahun and Sheary we would have been able to have at least one and hopefully two of those guys playing well enough to do what we needed out of them. But I do think that getting Sheary was a smart move. Just not at the cost of Kahun.
I think what it really comes down to is Crosby favors speed and energy over skill for his line mates. He just was never going to give Kahun a chance.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

They needed the numbers, obviously.

It is amazing how the Pens have dominated despite this. They certainly needed depth and as they are historically one of the teams who is the most man games down every single year they can only anticipate this to continue through the rest of the year and the playoffs.

Again, that they have dominated despite this challenge makes you imagine what they can do if completely healthy.

Reactions: Riptide

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
As a Buffalo fan, I expect Sheary to look better back in Pittsburgh. He seemed thrilled about the trade and I expect that to give him a nice boost.
He also won’t be asked to carry nearly as much weight in Pittsburgh, and he’ll be surrounded by a much deeper (and better) team.

I am very happy with this trade as a Buffalo fan. Sheary was a UFA and wasn’t re-signing in Buffalo, and Rodrigues asked for a trade & never seemed to fit in that well with the new coach. I expected buffalo to end up with a couple of late round picks. So to get an actual decent NHL player back that could potentially fill a top 9 role is a welcome surprise.

Reactions: Riptide

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Fact of the matter is he was frequently the worst forward on the ice for Buffalo. That's on him, not his teammates. The Sabres depth is bad BECAUSE it's filled with players like Sheary. If Crosby can make him marginally useful for you guys, good for you. He's not a good hockey player, though.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3