Pre-Game Talk: PIT at EDM. No Despres Edition?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Despres had a couple bad plays last game, but he was far from bad.. that first goal he did the proper thing.. he went behind the net for a low risk option for Crosby on the boards... Crosby opted for the higher risk pass to gibbons in front of the net. The breakaway despres has a horrid position, so you can fault him there,and there was a bad pass, but overall if that's his bad game its still better than Engellends good ones, and Orpik causing a goal to be scored is becoming as commonplace as Adams doing so... but with no consequenses

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I'm a big proponent of getting a young guy out there the next game after having an off night, especially if it comes right after sitting for a spell. The kids need a chance to learn from their mistakes without destroying confidence, or making them try to do too much when they get their once a month chance.

Every mistake they make, especially in a win, contributes to their development without killing the team. If this were the playoffs, I can see banishing a kid. But in the regular season? Give the kid a few games or a regular rotation. I'm a fan of the patented KIRK 2 days on and one off for the kids as a standing rotation. Now is the perfect time to do it too.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Hoping to see a better first 58 minutes from Crosby tomorrow than the other day.

The more that Engelland plays over Despres the more angry I get.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Until people drop the agendas and brush off some of the negatives in the game most of you won't be enjoying anything.

Perspective this board lacks, and focuses on their frustration agenda outlet more.

Some even have to push it before the agenda surfaces each game.

Maybe more people should pray to the Hockey Gods a little more and repent their sins, and ask for forgiveness. H-God loves wine, but you guys added that dreadful h, and hell has been where we all have been dwelling.

Am I right or am I right?

138931068761304_zpsf9155ba7.png

Sinners!

Everytime something bad happens, I'll blame you.

I'll start off.

HG, forgive me for I have sinned. My last prayer was 2009, I have taken you for granted for 5 years now and I have learn to never take you for granted.

Please help my fellow Penguin fans and me, for we do not know what we have done, but I do now, and I'll preach the word of you from here out.

Please bring clarity and prosperity to the Penguin Nation.

Yours truly,

Ugene Malkin

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
DB saw Jarry play last night, he said Jarry was really good, i haven't seen any of Jarry games, but i hear lots of good things about him.

Yea. Alot of World Junior fans wanted him on the team. Matt Murray was also mentioned as well. The Goalie Prospect cupboard is stocked at the moment. 1 or 2 of them will make the bigs no doubt. Only place we're sorely lacking is at wing.

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yea. Alot of World Junior fans wanted him on the team. Matt Murray was also mentioned as well. The Goalie Prospect cupboard is stocked at the moment. 1 or 2 of them will make the bigs no doubt. Only place we're sorely lacking is at wing.

Yeah don't know about that . . . but it's nice to have some legit prospects at the position.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
you know what's uglier than the play of Glass, Adams, Orpik and Engo?

the recent portmanteau-like fusing of their names. seeing Engopik as a word makes me want to stab myself in the junk. and given that i ain't MTLPensFan that's not a sensation that i'm searching for.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
It never stops to amaze me how things just snowball. First 47 was responsible for the Sid's mistake, than he was responsible for another goal (debatable but I can take that, luckily no other d-man made any mistaakes), than he had a horrible game alltogether, than I just saw another poster saying he had bad couple of games (after he put on a clinic the other day).

He is still our top two defensman, on any given night, he has been playing better than Maatta, and that says a lot considering how Maatta played, he plays smart, he is a joy watching him calmly taking puck out of our zone and starting and creating new offensive play, not meaninglessly dumping it or icing it in a pretend attempt to stretch the pass.

Michael8771*

Hoping to see a better first 58 minutes from Crosby tomorrow than the other day.

I'm disappointed in that as well but with coach Disco keeping Despres on a short leash it's not surprising. Despres did not have his best game tuesday.

Crozbar

Feb 7, 2010
Edmonton
I have a connection for last minute tickets for this game. I'm hoping it comes through because Stubhub and driving to Calgary will be really painful :help:

Plus I think this is going to be a really fun game.

Engo is a local boy and all ... I wouldn't be surprised if Db plays him first shift. I saw his family in the stands last time the Pens were in Edmonton...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

the recent portmanteau-like fusing of their names. seeing Engopik as a word makes me want to stab myself in the junk. and given that i ain't MTLPensFan that's not a sensation that i'm searching for.

I'm looking forward to more Tanaig Gladams and Derooks Engellpik this upcoming weekend, for sure!

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
God i hope that Crosby/Malkin/Neal/Kunitz all go full out attack mode the next 2 games. Just go for the throat! They should not be hanging around with this team at all.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania

Sadly, this has been going on since the days of Josef Melichar ("Scudichar", anybody?).

Penguinzilla*

Orpik's hockey school:
1. On defense: back up until you almost hit the goalie. Let the other guy shoot.
2. On offense: get the puck and slow the play down. Take your time, let the other team get into position.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
For the life of me I still don't understand why we're running Orpik-Bort and Maatta-Nisky. You just don't put out two physical stay at home guys if they're going to play big minutes. A pairing with two people both playing that style are 15 min a night lines. I guess switching Bort and Nisky so all three lines role with a stay at home and someone more capable of moving the puck is too much.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I HATE the Maatta-Niskanen pairing. It's basically just like when we kept putting Niskanen-Letang out there together last season. Or when we had Goligoski-Whitney. It makes zero sense, which is why we're going to continue to see it repeatedly.

Despres-Martin
Scuderi-Letang
Maatta-Bortuzzo

That's if we actually want to ice our best blueline.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
As for the Despres/ Maatta comparison... Despres is clearly better than Maatta right now, but despres is 22 and has played in parts of 3 NHL seasons now.. Maatta is 19 and played in part of one. Maatta is ahead of where Despres was at the same point in their careers. Id say Maatta is more valuable a player because of his outrageous upside right now. Thats coming from a guy who thinks Despres has a pretty high upside himself.

Upside is always a gamble. sometimes guys spike quick then plateau, but both have earned a spot with the club going forward... even if it means moving a vet or two... not that i think that will happen

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
As for the Despres/ Maatta comparison... Despres is clearly better than Maatta right now, but despres is 22 and has played in parts of 3 NHL seasons now.. Maatta is 19 and played in part of one. Maatta is ahead of where Despres was at the same point in their careers. Id say Maatta is more valuable a player because of his outrageous upside right now. Thats coming from a guy who thinks Despres has a pretty high upside himself.

Upside is always a gamble. sometimes guys spike quick then plateau, but both have earned a spot with the club going forward... even if it means moving a vet or two... not that i think that will happen

I agree with everything said in this post. Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad