Pre-Game Talk: PIT at EDM. No Despres Edition?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Hopefully our offense will explode again against a horrible Oilers team. Not surprisingly, our D-pairs looked like this today:

Orpik-Bortuzzo
Maatta-Niskanen
Scuderi-Letang ... with Despres just rotating there

To be honest, I was quite disappointed with Simon´s performance in Vancouver, also his homers should accept the fact that he was horrible there. That said, Orpik shows us even worse s**t everyday, but his position on the team is still rock solid.

I mean, Bortuzzo definitely deserves to play, because he had a good game vs the Rangers and then he was benched for 2 more games. Our defense was crappy in those, so it´s perfectly understandable to play the guy. Can somebody blame Bylsma for this? Sitting Orpik (or to a lesser extent Scuderi) is not easy and I can´t really imagine that, it´s almost impossible to happen, even if it probably should.

Last edited:

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Keep giving Orpik new partners, and that pairing always lands up sucking. I'm getting this odd idea that maybe Orpik has something to do with that.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I mean, if Despres is benched, at least I get it in this particular case. And at least it´s for Bortuzzo while Engo stays being a forward again. This game should be funny no matter what, but hopefully Bryz is in for the Oil.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Scuds has looked worse than Orpik since returning. It's a shame. I would welcome objective evaluation of our D man on a daily basis with the worst one sitting no matter what name is on the back of their jersey.

Imagine what a healthy competition would do to the overall level of play? The problem now is that whoever is stuck out there with the 4th line has their advanced stats crapped upon^2 and it is difficult to separate out who is good (This is why Maatta and Despres have been tanking stat-wise recently IMO).

Please explain how Orpik/Bortz is a good pairing with Maatta Nisky as the other? These guys need split up. 1 puck mover, 1 stay at home.

I just hope we get a good player for Despres because it's pretty obvious DB hates him and will not play him over anyone.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
There was a sub-zero percent chance that Despres was going to play tomorrow. Bylsma has a hard enough time playing him when he's playing well - give him an excuse to bench him and he'll take it every time.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Scuds has looked worse than Orpik since returning. It's a shame. I would welcome objective evaluation of our D man on a daily basis with the worst one sitting no matter what name is on the back of their jersey.

Imagine what a healthy competition would do to the overall level of play? The problem now is that whoever is stuck out there with the 4th line has their advanced stats crapped upon^2 and it is difficult to separate out who is good (This is why Maatta and Despres have been tanking stat-wise recently IMO).

Please explain how Orpik/Bortz is a good pairing with Maatta Nisky as the other? These guys need split up. 1 puck mover, 1 stay at home.

I just hope we get a good player for Despres because it's pretty obvious DB hates him and will not play him over anyone.

Bortuzzo and Despres are just place holders for Martin. DB wants the other two pairings Scuds-Letang and Maata-Nisky to get time together. Those are our playoff pairings.

Trade Despres for rental.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Bortuzzo and Despres are just place holders for Martin. DB wants the other two pairings Scuds-Letang and Maata-Nisky to get time together. Those are our playoff pairings.

Trade Despres for rental.

If they do trade Despres, hopefully it would be for someone that Shero has contract control over beyond this season.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

Scuderi looked shaky his first game back, but has in no way looked worse than Orpik since. He's going to be rusty after a broken ankle.

Orpik is our worst top 6 D man and it's not particularly close, especially if you figure in his awful play in the O zone where he constantly kills the play for us. Everyone is just hoping he can turn it on in the playoffs like last year.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
DB saw Jarry play last night, he said Jarry was really good, i haven't seen any of Jarry games, but i hear lots of good things about him.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
DB saw Jarry play last night, he said Jarry was really good, i haven't seen any of Jarry games, but i hear lots of good things about him.

He had a run of about 2 months where he was at about a .950% and 1.6 GAA. Apart from a bad first few games and a couple blowouts a few weeks ago (with a team missing key players to the WJC) he's been pretty special. He's a keeper.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Orpik plays hilariously bad games but we bench Despres. Yuuuuuuup. All i ****ing do anymore is shake my head. This is supposed to be an amazing time to watch the Pens. Instead it's frustrating each day. Even when I try to just sit back and enjoy the game, it's ****ing frustrating.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Scuderi looked shaky his first game back, but has in no way looked worse than Orpik since. He's going to be rusty after a broken ankle.

Orpik is our worst top 6 D man and it's not particularly close, especially if you figure in his awful play in the O zone where he constantly kills the play for us. Everyone is just hoping he can turn it on in the playoffs like last year.

Yeah Scuds will help come playoff time and that's what I'm looking forward to. While we know what to expect from Orpik by then.

Btw if they keep trying new partners with Orpik and it keeps failing, you have to think they wouldn't have a problem sitting him out to start the playoffs. I wouldn't expect it now, most of the season( for teams like us ) are to prepare for the playoffs by seeing what works...but if he keeps playing the way he has I can't see him dressing every night in the postseason.

Yes I know about the bylsma factor.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
He'll dress every night he's able. Martin will be back to insulate him and Bylsma is probably blaming every rookie for Orpik's play. Martin will probably prove Bylsma 'right' about rookies by being able to insulate Orpik. Yay.

If Martin can't insulate him then Orpik fell off of another cliff and we should all freak out.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Martin seems to be the team wooby ... makes eggs for Nealer, insulates Orpik ...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You just knew that when Despres was on the ice for those couple of goals, his time in the lineup was done until one of the other youngsters screws up.

Who cares if Orpik is regularly garbage out there, or if Letang forgets he's a defenseman and not a forward? It's the kids' fault! Always the kids.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Orpik plays hilariously bad games but we bench Despres. Yuuuuuuup. All i ****ing do anymore is shake my head. This is supposed to be an amazing time to watch the Pens. Instead it's frustrating each day. Even when I try to just sit back and enjoy the game, it's ****ing frustrating.

Huge goal to tie the game with under a minute left? Glass! Adams! Protect at all costs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad