Confirmed Trade: [PIT/ANA] Rickard Rakell (@65%) for Zach Aston-Reese, Dominik Simon, Calle Clang, and 2022 2nd round pick

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Except for the fact that PIT didn't need to trade him to make the salary work - all they had to do was waive him and send him to the minors. Reese was the cap move. If timing was an issue (due to the delay re waivers) you simply send Zohorna down for the day, while waiting Simon, wait for (in your words/opinion) Simon to clear, then recall Zohorna. This wasn't a money/cap issue or a timing issue. The only reason to send him to Anaheim was because they saw some kind of value in him. Otherwise we would have kept him and continued to use him as cheap depth, either now or down the road.
You think Simon moved the needle on this trade ??? LOL....but at this point he has been just as valuable as RR....

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Most of the team looked like shit against NYR, so I wouldn't put too much emphasis on that.

He, along with most of the team looked great against Columbus. Less so against Buffalo, but still had some moments. All in all, this continues to look like a great move for us. Cost wasn't terrible and the impact should be there - whether now, or down the road.
Well let's not put it all on one game then, let's put it on every game he has played so far.....and its pretty Grim....you need me to remind you of thr stat lines and the fact the penguins have a losing record since ? Of course RR isn't solely to blame but he hasn't been great. In fact since the trade Kapanen has looked better

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
The thing is, Rakell hasn't been good for quite some time now.

And he only had2 seasons when he did look really good.

Not a huge haul for Anaheim though, so might be worth it.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
The thing is, Rakell hasn't been good for quite some time now.

And he only had2 seasons when he did look really good.

Not a huge haul for Anaheim though, so might be worth it.
Same thing was said about Jeff Carter, needed change of scenery and was ballin for us. He's been ok this season, played a lot of minutes due to injuries so was playing more then he should but I can see the same with Rackell.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Same thing was said about Jeff Carter, needed change of scenery and was ballin for us. He's been ok this season, played a lot of minutes due to injuries so was playing more then he should but I can see the same with Rackell.
Rakell will be fine, he isn’t really a line driver…. He’s not great when he’s best player on a line… but he’s a great compliment to a good center , hopefully he’ll get to play with Crosby or malkin a bit

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Good player, doesn't really move the needle to me, but Pitts losing 2 AHLers is definitely addition by subtraction

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Except for the fact that PIT didn't need to trade him to make the salary work - all they had to do was waive him and send him to the minors. Reese was the cap move. If timing was an issue (due to the delay re waivers) you simply send Zohorna down for the day, while waiting Simon, wait for (in your words/opinion) Simon to clear, then recall Zohorna. This wasn't a money/cap issue or a timing issue. The only reason to send him to Anaheim was because they saw some kind of value in him. Otherwise we would have kept him and continued to use him as cheap depth, either now or down the road.
Rip a lot do the time I agree with you. But Simon did very little to tip the scales in this trade other than simply being a quantity traded for quality in this trade.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Rakell can be really really fun to watch. He's not a line driver but he's a fine passenger. He gets in to the right positions both with and without the puck, but the finish just hasn't been there over the past few years. Frustrating player because he has some really high highs.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I saw Duck fans shit talking ZAR, has he really been that bad? also how has Simon been?

Are you trying to tell me that we were actually telling the truth about ZAR and it wasn't just us shitting on a player going out the door?

I guess Ducks fans had to see him in action for themselves to realize we were spot on about how much of a nothingburger ZAR is.

Reactions: 66-30-33

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Are you trying to tell me that we were actually telling the truth about ZAR and it wasn't just us shitting on a player going out the door?

I guess Ducks fans had to see him in action for themselves to realize we were spot on about how much of a nothingburger ZAR is.

To be fair, literally every other player we've traded them has somehow turned it around outside of Whitney. And even then he was pretty good in 08-09.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Rakell can be really really fun to watch. He's not a line driver but he's a fine passenger. He gets in to the right positions both with and without the puck, but the finish just hasn't been there over the past few years. Frustrating player because he has some really high highs.
Yeah, I can definitely see that in his first few games with the Pens. He makes some sick moves but isn't the best finisher. Still looks like a solid add to the Pens top 6 though. Definitely better than what they had.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Yeah, I can definitely see that in his first few games with the Pens. He makes some sick moves but isn't the best finisher. Still looks like a solid add to the Pens top 6 though. Definitely better than what they had.
Two goals last night. His production is getting better and better as he settles in. How is he utilized and what lines has he been tried on?

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Two goals last night. His production is getting better and better as he settles in. How is he utilized and what lines has he been tried on?
He is on the second line with Malkin now. If there are no injuries (I can dream, right?) he is probably going to stay there because the chemistry is evident already. The third guy on that line was Rust but he was moved to L1 and with Zucker's injury it's anybody's guess who is going to play on the other wing in the next games.

So far Rakell is adding much needed deflection, goalie screening and pure goalscoring skills.

Reactions: Slimmy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad