Confirmed Trade: [PIT/ANA] Rickard Rakell (@65%) for Zach Aston-Reese, Dominik Simon, Calle Clang, and 2022 2nd round pick

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Why would Pittsburgh need a player like Rakell, i think that's the question.
Who is he supposed to replace, would be the second question.

Last 4 games ice time : 20:18 | 19:13 | 19:13 | 21: 27

Pens gonna give him those minutes?

Has gotten about 19 mins avg per game this season

Drop his minutes to 15 or 16 mins in avg
or if he gets 3rd line minutes.

He won't be scoring much with those minutes.
He could replace any one of Rodrigues, Heinen or Kapanen in the top six and be an upgrade.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
If Simon had either of those guy's shot we wouldn't be having this discussion because he'd still be here. And likely playing far more minutes in a far bigger role. And if he had their shot, likely succeeding in that role. One of his issues is that his shot is a muffin and he'd have issues finishing it to save his life. If that shortfalling went away, Simon would be a hell of a player.
Would certainly be better

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Honestly, if we had simply dumped ZAR and Simon on someone just to open up spots for callups I would have been ok with it.

I know I'm in the minority... but I like what Simon brings to the table. His ability to hang onto the puck and to make plays is something I like to see and something that not all players can do. Even if he's only our 13th F, I'd still keep him if we weren't getting an upgrade like we did.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I know I'm in the minority... but I like what Simon brings to the table. His ability to hang onto the puck and to make plays is something I like to see and something that not all players can do. Even if he's only our 13th F, I'd still keep him if we weren't getting an upgrade like we did.
Yeah, I don't actually hate Simon and he can be useful as a temporary fill-in. My issue is that he presents Sullivan with a temptation to play him when he shouldn't that Sullivan sometimes struggles to resist. I am glad that we got rid of the two guys who simply add no offense whatsoever. I suppose we could have kept one of them but I am not sorry to see them both depart.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
You mean Rakell for Clang and a 2nd. Reese and Simon have value. We see that reflected in this trade when we see a bunch of comments that ANA didn't get enough for him - because those commenting do not see Reese and Simon as having any value, which isn't accurate. If we were equating them to picks, I'd say in the 4th-5th range each. So not a ton of value, but some none the less. But like with Clang, pieces that Pittsburgh could afford to give up based on their depth.
Simon has basically no value and zar just a slight notch above. Simon would have cleared waivers .
Having said that RR looked a step behind in game 1 ans self admitted he was. This move will probably end up favoring the ducks

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Simon has basically no value and zar just a slight notch above. Simon would have cleared waivers .
This move will probably end up favoring the ducks

You sure about that? Because if Simon would have cleared waivers, we would have just waived him and kept him as depth. Doing so wouldn't have touched the cap. The only reason to trade him is because Anaheim saw enough value in getting him and management had a fairly good idea that he wouldn't have cleared waivers. If it was contract related (50 contract limit), just moving Reese and his cap hit would have been enough.

If Carpenter can go for a 5th with his 3 goals, Simon, whether you (and other's) like it or not has some value. Maybe not a ton, but some.

Last edited:
Reactions: KrisLetAngry

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
in spite of not practicing with the team that much since the Pens acquired him, i do like how he's played in the back-to-back. i'm excited to see how he gels when he gets regular practices in with the team.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Having said that RR looked a step behind in game 1 ans self admitted he was. This move will probably end up favoring the ducks
Wrong yet again

Reactions: Daz28

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
in spite of not practicing with the team that much since the Pens acquired him, i do like how he's played in the back-to-back. i'm excited to see how he gels when he gets regular practices in with the team.

Just some of the skill alone you have seen sets him far and above many of our other wingers. I think this change of scenery will be good for him. Adding him to our wingers gets us pretty deep as a team when we are healthy. Great acquisition

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

The game yesterday against Buffalo more so then the game vs CBJ. But his skill is very evident. Can't wait to see him after he's had a handful of games and practices under his belt. As much as I like Rust and Kapanen, Rakell's skill is on another level. The next few months are going to be pretty exciting.

Apr 9, 2009
USA

He had more scoring chances in his first shift than ZAR and Simon had all year. You should watch the game next time. Rakell looked fine at worst.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
You sure about that? Because if Simon would have cleared waivers, we would have just waived him and kept him as depth. Doing so wouldn't have touched the cap. The only reason to trade him is because Anaheim saw enough value in getting him and management had a fairly good idea that he wouldn't have cleared waivers. If it was contract related (50 contract limit), just moving Reese and his cap hit would have been enough.

If Carpenter can go for a 5th with his 3 goals, Simon, whether you (and other's) like it or not has some value. Maybe not a ton, but some.
Yeah iam sure on that ..there is a reason he has bounced around like he has. He was a toss in to help the salary work .
What team would value him enough to spare a draft pick on him? Well the short answer is , none did. ....his value is the cheap contract which can be used to offset a larger deal, hence what happened here.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
He had more scoring chances in his first shift than ZAR and Simon had all year. You should watch the game next time. Rakell looked fine at worst.
Not quite. 2 games in and they are not confident he fits with Malkin again....0 points and while not a negative he extremely average. Looked a hair better in OT but the pens still lost and RR was a non factor . May take more time but stats and numbers dont lie and this is the issue with zucker as well.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Not quite. 2 games in and they are not confident he fits with Malkin again....0 points and while not a negative he extremely average. Looked a hair better in OT but the pens still lost and RR was a non factor . May take more time but stats and numbers dont lie and this is the issue with zucker as well.

Lol he hasn’t even had one shift with Malkin

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
why does it say 65% retained? the6re 6is no 3rd team listed in the title and there needs to be 3 teams for 65% retention

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I have been surprised at how good he looks. He’s fast and he’s quick.
Lol...he's been an absolute non factor and the NYR are currently making him look and penguins look foolish.
I do think he may settle but his start in Pitt hasn't been graceful

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yeah iam sure on that ..there is a reason he has bounced around like he has. He was a toss in to help the salary work .
What team would value him enough to spare a draft pick on him? Well the short answer is , none did. ....his value is the cheap contract which can be used to offset a larger deal, hence what happened here.

Except for the fact that PIT didn't need to trade him to make the salary work - all they had to do was waive him and send him to the minors. Reese was the cap move. If timing was an issue (due to the delay re waivers) you simply send Zohorna down for the day, while waiting Simon, wait for (in your words/opinion) Simon to clear, then recall Zohorna. This wasn't a money/cap issue or a timing issue. The only reason to send him to Anaheim was because they saw some kind of value in him. Otherwise we would have kept him and continued to use him as cheap depth, either now or down the road.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Lol...he's been an absolute non factor and the NYR are currently making him look and penguins look foolish.
I do think he may settle but his start in Pitt hasn't been graceful
Most of the team looked like shit against NYR, so I wouldn't put too much emphasis on that.

He, along with most of the team looked great against Columbus. Less so against Buffalo, but still had some moments. All in all, this continues to look like a great move for us. Cost wasn't terrible and the impact should be there - whether now, or down the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad