Speculation: Pietrangelo's future (reports: to go to FA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I believe that he wanted to stay. He's said it enough and Bob McKenzie reported it several times at the start of the season, unequivocally.

Even if Armstrong want to move closer, I wonder if the damage has been done. If Pietrangelo feels he was messed about early in the season, and then COVID came along and significantly weakened his position. Certainly got the impression that the frustration in his voice with the "I'm not going to answer that" went deeper than just getting asked about it in that situation.

Either way, of course he and his wife are discussing their options. At this point they can't ignore the fact that they might end up having to move somewhere else on short notice, and what options appeal to them.

Reactions: mk80

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Yeah, the more I read it the more I agree. My initial read I didn't care for it as it was very vague but that's probably just the way it's going to be until something happens.
Yeah, imagine it from his perspective - he can want to be in STL all he wants, but the ball is in DA’s court to clear space. That has to be nerve-wracking for him and his wife - it may not even be up to him whether he can stay in STL or not. Then he has to discuss with his wife other alternatives if DA doesn’t work it out.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I think Petro would like to stay and would be happy staying. But obviously there are things that can affect that, from the team not wanting to resign him for term or dollars he wants, or another team coming in with a fantastic offer, is there another place he and his wife want to live? what makes the best sense for his family? etc.

But I do think resigning here is at or 2nd on the top of his list of places to sign. But of course for his side in negotiations he's not going to want to reveal his full hand.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
When does the free agency period begin?
Some time in the middle of October, assuming the rest of the playoffs go to plan. I remember reading that it would be seven days after the Cup is awarded, but I don't think that is set in stone.

I'd guess that once the Cup is awarded then there with be a virtual draft 4-5 days later, then FA will open 3-4 days after that.

High n Wide

Feb 24, 2015
St. Louis
Being that close on numbers (and Pietrangelo's number being completely reasonable) you have to wonder if it's got anything to do with signing bonuses. I know we took on ROR's but has Army signed a player to a contract with large (any?) signing bonuses? If the owners don't want Army to sign a contract with a large signing bonus and Pietrangelo wants one due to Covid, I could see that being a sticking point. Still, I have no reason to think that the ownership would flat out reject the idea.

I think term probably matters too, but others have pointed to Schenn and I agree. I can't see how Army could justify losing Pietrangelo over term after going max term with Schenn.

Regardless, I'm confident something gets done and Pietrangelo stays a career-long Blue and ends with a number in the rafters and a statue out front.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Being that close on numbers (and Pietrangelo's number being completely reasonable) you have to wonder if it's got anything to do with signing bonuses. I know we took on ROR's but has Army signed a player to a contract with large (any?) signing bonuses? If the owners don't want Army to sign a contract with a large signing bonus and Pietrangelo wants one due to Covid, I could see that being a sticking point. Still, I have no reason to think that the ownership would flat out reject the idea.

I think term probably matters too, but others have pointed to Schenn and I agree. I can't see how Army could justify losing Pietrangelo over term after going max term with Schenn.

Regardless, I'm confident something gets done and Pietrangelo stays a career-long Blue and ends with a number in the rafters and a statue out front.
The other issue is that I expect he'll want a full NMC for the duration of the deal. How much below "market rate" he is willing to take is partially about legacy, and he'll want control of that.

I expect that Armstrong will be forced to move on his typical position on all three (8 years to a 30 year old, signing bonuses & NMC) if we're going to keep Pietrangelo. Pietrangelo will likely have to move on AAV & structure.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

They were willing to take on an O'Reilly contract that still had $27.5M in signing bonuses due, though your point stands that neither the Schenn nor the Faulk extensions had so much as a dollar of signing bonus included. If they are as close as the Athletic story indicates (basically less than $1M per year difference) I think this gets done. I just can't see Army refusing to go as high as $8.5M (meeting in the middle) nor can I see him balking on term after what he just gave Schenn and Faulk. With labor peace for the foreseeable future and COVID being the only question mark, I don't think signing bonus holds this up either. As always, I think Army is just holding things close to the vest until he has a better idea of how he is going to free up cap space, either through Vladdi being on IR the full season or moving other pieces without damaging the return because he's already signed a deal that's got him boxed in on cap space.

Reactions: Brian39 and Spear

High n Wide

Feb 24, 2015
St. Louis
The other issue is that I expect he'll want a full NMC for the duration of the deal. How much below "market rate" he is willing to take is partially about legacy, and he'll want control of that.

I expect that Armstrong will be forced to move on his typical position on all three (8 years to a 30 year old, signing bonuses & NMC) if we're going to keep Pietrangelo. Pietrangelo will likely have to move on AAV & structure.

You're right, I didn't even think about no-move clauses. I imagine that both Petro and Army are going into this with the expectation that if a contract gets done, it's to have Petro spend the remainder of his career in STL. I could also see them having equal but opposite feelings on what that means for a NMC in the later years of the contract (Petro feeling more that if that's the plan then it shouldn't be an issue to guarantee it with a NMC, and Army feeling that it's unnecessary and gives him flexibility down the line if something changes).

I doubt it, but I have to wonder if how things play out with Steen this offseason play into that. Steen is in a similar position of having given a lot to the franchise but being in a position that it would help the team if his contract wasn't around. I imagine Army will hang onto Steen (ignoring whatever happens with LTIR) and I hope that lays a framework for a similar contract and situation for Petro in his last years.

They were willing to take on an O'Reilly contract that still had $27.5M in signing bonuses due, though your point stands that neither the Schenn nor the Faulk extensions had so much as a dollar of signing bonus included. If they are as close as the Athletic story indicates (basically less than $1M per year difference) I think this gets done. I just can't see Army refusing to go as high as $8.5M (meeting in the middle) nor can I see him balking on term after what he just gave Schenn and Faulk. With labor peace for the foreseeable future and COVID being the only question mark, I don't think signing bonus holds this up either. As always, I think Army is just holding things close to the vest until he has a better idea of how he is going to free up cap space, either through Vladdi being on IR the full season or moving other pieces without damaging the return because he's already signed a deal that's got him boxed in on cap space.

I agree and I think if it was a sticking point, Petro is absolutely a guy you do what you have to to keep. I think that that likely means he'll get a signing bonus of some kind. I just wonder if ownership might want Army to make sure he's got the reins tight on signing bonuses so that they don't become a new norm since they've been so scarce in the past.

I think it ends up 8 year, 8.5 with a NTC or NMC through the first 4-5 years. I just hope that the discussions are going on and we start to see some trades or clarity on the cap situation soon because I think Army will take care of that before inking a deal. I think when we see trades that'll be an indication that something is done and not that the groundwork is being placed for discussions to start.

Reactions: MissouriMook

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
If he is asking for less than $9 million per year, you just do it. Done.
This is just a nit, but the report said he’s asking for less than Josi, who is making just north of 9. I imagine Petro’s camp is asking for 9 even. Do 8.5 and get it done.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I have to wonder, who leaked the numbers?

Ya I have to really question if those numbers are legitimate. You never hear details leaked from deals Army is going to make and yet they’re leaked now on what’s probably the biggest negotiation of his tenure as a Blue??

I’m not saying it’s fake but I’m not accepting it as a fact.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Pietrangelo unsure of future with Blues heading into free agency - NHL.com

Alex Pietrangelo's desire to re-sign with the St. Louis Blues hasn't changed, but he admitted Tuesday he may have to play elsewhere next season.

"Obviously, I want to stay a Blue. Of course I do," Pietrangelo said.

The defenseman, who has played his 12-season NHL career with the Blues, can be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

"It's the only place I've known in professional hockey," Pietrangelo said. "Legacy is obviously important. This organization means a lot to me. You see Al [MacInnis] come around, you see all the other alumni who are around regularly. That means a lot, right? It's guys who have a great relationship with the organization that have been around and have set their roots in St. Louis."

"But whether it's here or somewhere else, you want to play to the best of your ability and leave a legacy wherever you are. That goes along with on the ice and off the ice and try to impact the organization in the community. So, whether it's here or anywhere else, I think it's important for me to really kind of set my roots wherever it is, and I know my wife feels the same way."

General manager Doug Armstrong said Wednesday he wants to keep Pietrangelo in St. Louis, but doing so would require other moves to fit his new contract under the NHL salary cap.

"I think the first phase is going to be to find out if we can find common ground with Alex, and if we do then go to work to move other pieces," Armstrong said. "It is really an either-or that if we can't find common ground with Alex, then there's really no need to do anything. And if we can find common ground with Alex, then there's a need to do a lot."

"I've said this really since July of '19, Alex is our captain. I've grown up with Alex in this organization and he's grown up with me in this organization. I'd like to see that continue for a number of years moving forward and that's my focus right now."

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
My read is this:
Pietro wants to stay. He and his agent are working the media to try to pressure/invite Armstrong to improve on his last offer. If Alex were set on exploring free agency we wouldn’t be hearing numbers like this. He’s basically saying, “I’m not going to come crawling back, so you have to give me something to bring me back to the table.” But it doesn’t sound like he’s asking for much, or nothing unreasonable. In the pieces leaking numbers, there is no mention of differing on term. I’m not sure we can assume that’s true.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Darren Dreger said:
It’s believed the Blues made an offer this week. Early in the process, but sounds like there will need to be a lot of work done to keep Pietrangelo in St Louis.
Carlo Colaiacovo said:
I truly believe that Alex Pietrangelo’s heart is in Stl but are the Blues really gonna let him walk for less than market value? I can think many teams including the Maple Leafs that would love to have him on their team right now for that #stlblues #LeafsForever

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I think it sounds like both sides want to get a deal done, right now each side is going to try to get the best price for themselves but will gradually move toward the middle. I don't think ink will be put to paper until after the Stanley Cup is handed out though, and I suspect we'll know if a deal is done or not around draft day.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Assuming the two sides agree in something, isn’t there some pressure on Armstrong to allow for enough time to make other moves? I’m sure he has tentative deals he’s talked to guys about, but it still takes time to get the roster shaped up.

Reactions: mk80
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille