Speculation: Pietrangelo's future (reports: to go to FA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Can you guys tell me what the decision making was to giving Faulk all of that money for an outsider? It doesn't seem to make sense to me. Did the Blues just think they didn't have a shot at signing Alex to a big deal?

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
With a flat cap next year, I can’t see a legitimate place that Petro could go. I guess the Avs have room, but they’ll have tough decisions down the road.

I was looking at this too, and the one answer I came up with, Detroit. They can fit him in giving him Doughty/Karlsson money easily. They could also use a guy like him badly. (Ottawa can as well but I don’t see Melnyk spending the money. New Jersey too, but I’m not sure they would given Severson and a very expensive PK Subban on the right)

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I would bet during the pause Doug and Petro had at least some discussion on where each side is at. I lean towards him choosing to go elsewhere, and ROR taking over the "C" but I hope I'm wrong because he would be a huge loss on the blueline

It’s a tough situation because almost certainly the best offer he will be getting is the one he passed up, because of a circumstance nobody could have predicted. No reason he wouldn’t see what he can get at this point, right? And we’re 1 of 31 at that point, and we’ve made a serious commitment to Faulk, right before a circumstance nobody could have predicted. It’s a tough spot. We won’t be his best offer financially, I am sure.

Reactions: mk80

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
Can you guys tell me what the decision making was to giving Faulk all of that money for an outsider? It doesn't seem to make sense to me. Did the Blues just think they didn't have a shot at signing Alex to a big deal?

If the cap went up the ~$5 million everyone expected it to before the virus then fitting Alex onto the team with Faulk's contract wouldn't be too difficult. Now the contract was certainly a headscratcher and fans have been asking why Armstrong offered the deal since it was signed, but at the time it wasn't a huge obstacle towards signing Petro, even if it gave us less flexibility.

I don't blame Armstrong for not having foresight with regards to the virus, but it still wasn't a good signing.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
One thing to consider for Petro that wouldn't normally be an issue in other years is the pandemic.

His wife is a STL native, and of course he has the one year old triplets. But how does covid play into his decision making process, with the way different areas around the country, and in Canada have handled the virus, it might play a factor in choosing what's best for his family that otherwise would normally have not been part of his decision.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
It may end up being the biggest mistake of Armstrong's career.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
It may end up being the biggest mistake of Armstrong's career.
Although he was one of the top defensemen for the Hurricanes before coming here. I was excited to get him when we first got him, but at this point I admit he's been disastrous most of the time outside a handful of games. If there is a trade partner for him, I'd be willing to take the loss with a low return in order to just have the cap space it would free up.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Even if the cap had "only" went up by $2.5m this summer, then the Blues would have had ~$5.5m in cap space and 21 players signed. It would just be Pietrangelo and Dunn. Move Dunn & Allen, replaced with Mikkola/Perunovich & Husso, and we'd have 22 players signed and over $8m in cap space. Might take another move, but it's not difficult to create the space in this situation.

The Faulk contract shouldn't have had a bearing on getting Pietrangelo signed in a normal situation. Even now, creating space for Pietrangelo is workable.

However, it might be that a deal was impossible because of red lines that Doug Armstrong has. It's a negotiation and the Blues are going to start lower than what they are willing to go to, so it's difficult to read much into the rumours around the negotiation. Like the one about the Blues being focused on the OEL contract being the comparable. Or Armstrong making comments that suggest that he wouldn't be willing to go to eight years.

We'll find out in the coming weeks.

Reactions: Blueston

FACTORY

Feb 16, 2004
I agree with you that it doesn't make sense for Colorado to go after Petro since RD is already the strength of their back end and a Petro contract would make the next round of raises tough for them. However, if they did sign Petro then they would probably be one of the few teams that opts to protect 4 D and 4 F instead of 3 D and 7 F. MacKinnon and Rantanen are no brainers to protect. So is Landeskog if he has been extended. But after that, they have a lot of good but not incredible forwards. If they went the 4/4 route, they could still protect one of Burakovsky, Kadri, Donskoi, Nichuskin and Compher.

Again, I don't think it is likely that they go after Petro, but if they did the consequence would be losing the 2nd best forward from that group rather than losing one of Girard or Makar.
I don't think there's any chance CO pursues Petro...they have 2 rookie defensemen (Byram and Timmons) who will likely be playing for the AVS next season. They don't have room for him, or a need for him.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
[QUOTE="Snipes45, post: 173216822, member: 328401 outsider? It doesn't seem to make sense to me. Did the Blues just think they didn't have a shot at signing Alex to a big deal?[/QUOTE]

The Faulk deal only makes sense if you assume Armstrong knew Pietrangelo's demands for salary or term and didn't think the Blues should make the commitment.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
He's gone. Body language say it all.

The question is where?

Should be interesting to see what DA does with the rest of the team. Some guys didn't step up in this tournament. I don't know if it was conditioning, attitude, focus, arrogance...

Teams like Vegas, Dallas, Colorado, TB, and Boston found a way forward. We seemed to be stuck in the hotel lobby.

Reactions: mk80 and Spektre

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
[QUOTE="Snipes45, post: 173216822, member: 328401 outsider? It doesn't seem to make sense to me. Did the Blues just think they didn't have a shot at signing Alex to a big deal?

The Faulk deal only makes sense if you assume Armstrong knew Pietrangelo's demands for salary or term and didn't think the Blues should make the commitment.[/QUOTE]
Even then, I am not sure it makes a ton of sense. The only thing that makes cursory sense is the replacement argument, which is a flimsy one at best IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoldenSeal and mk80

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Petro ain’t leaving bc of Faulk. If he wants to be here we can find a way.

I wonder what his priorities are?

1) Total compensation, 2) Competitiveness, 3) Organization, 4) Location
1) Competitiveness, 2) Total compensation, 3) Organization, 4) Location
1) Location, 2) Total compensation, 3) Competitiveness, 4) Organization
etc.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Watching the press conference after the game and he looks like he's gone. He seemed frustrated by some of the questions and I'm really curious what went on behind the scenes.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Watching the press conference after the game and he looks like he's gone. He seemed frustrated by some of the questions and I'm really curious what went on behind the scenes.

May take:
Some of the youngsters and single guys didn't show up to play. The guys with kids actually showed up to play. Very odd. You would think in bubble hockey it would be the opposite. We will hear more.

Reactions: Blueston

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I had a dream last night that the Avalanche signed Petro. Seeing Petro playing against the Blues several times a year. Sigh. :(:(:(:(

I know it was just a dream but still, Never did i thought he would leave, And his body language during the presser last night tells me he is gone.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I had a dream last night that the Avalanche signed Petro. Seeing Petro playing against the Blues several times a year. Sigh. :(:(:(:(

I know it was just a dream but still, Never did i thought he would leave, And his body language during the presser last night tells me he is gone.

That's not a dream!

That's a NIGHTMARE!

Reactions: Vollie27

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I think Pietrangelo likey winds up somewhere in the Eastern Conference if he doesn't stay here. Unless someone in the West comes up with an amazing offer.

Last edited:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think the Blues should extend him either way. One of the D the Blues ever had, did probably the biggest thing in Blues history that seals him the best captain in their history.

I mean, they would need to trade Allen, Bozak and Dunn, but still, if he's gone the Blues window has a good chance at closing sooner than later. I understand the way Armstrong does things is through a business perspective, but letting Pietrangelo walk would be stupid and I don't care if he's regressing.

Last edited:
Reactions: simon IC

quityerwhinin

Feb 9, 2017
May take:
Some of the youngsters and single guys didn't show up to play. The guys with kids actually showed up to play. Very odd. You would think in bubble hockey it would be the opposite. We will hear more.

This isn't accurate. Some of the dads, like Pietrangelo, looked as bad as any of the single guys at times. It was a collective failing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad