Pietrangelo

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
During the regular season, maybe, but in the playoffs, this does nothing for you. I'm going to tire some people out with this one but I'm going to keep repeating it until it sinks in: you need a clear top-4 of big-minute defensemen to lean on in the playoffs. Spreading the wealth and rolling three pairs might get you out of the first round against a weaker opponent, but, for the most part, you still need two pairs playing at least 45 minutes of the game. And it can't just be 30 minutes for your top pair and about fifteen each for the bottom 4 guys. You need to count on that second pair for 22+ minutes.

I completely agree with this. We've got three for sure in Pietrangelo, Bouwemeester, and Shattenkirk. Can we address the fourth from internal candidates, or do we need to look externally. That's a huge question to answer?

I wouldn't mind seeing Pietrangelo getting a bigger chunk of minutes, and it seems like Hitch has been leaning on him more. He's had multiple games this year at around 28 minutes. I could see us running Petro at around 26 to 28 minutes, Bouwmeester at 25 and Shattenkirk around 25. The question becomes, can Parayko become that fourth guy.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
I completely agree with this. We've got three for sure in Pietrangelo, Bouwemeester, and Shattenkirk. Can we address the fourth from internal candidates, or do we need to look externally. That's a huge question to answer?

I wouldn't mind seeing Pietrangelo getting a bigger chunk of minutes, and it seems like Hitch has been leaning on him more. He's had multiple games this year at around 28 minutes. I could see us running Petro at around 26 to 28 minutes, Bouwmeester at 25 and Shattenkirk around 25. The question becomes, can Parayko become that fourth guy.

I think we might get a chance to see if Parayko can become that guy. So far he has done far more than anyone expected of him. Yes, he is young and has hickups defensively occasionally. But then he goes out and exceeds everyone's expectations many times. I think they will keep giving him more minutes and tougher assignments until they find out what his ceiling is this year.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Parayko definitely has the potential and ability to play 20+ minutes, only time will tell if he can do it for a full season and into the playoffs. Gunnarsson can also be a decent guy to play 20 when he's healthy.

The good thing is our top pair stays in ridiculous shape, so Petro and JBo can easily carry a bigger load if needed. Whether that means they do some double shifts on other pairs or their pairing just gets more shifts than normal.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Parayko has been playing 22 and 23 minutes over the past few games, and holding his own. But, as this is his first NHL season, as stated above, it remains to be seen how long he can play those minutes, and whether or not he'll tire later in the season, and what he'll have left in the tank come playoff time.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I've played plenty of hockey and it's far tougher to play against a guy that can hold the puck as long as he wants than someone that will run you into the boards every now and then. Toughness loses hockey games. This has been proven over and over again and yet there are still people that believe you need it to win. It's total *********. You need skill to win. Notice what the Hawks are doing, shedding useless toughness for more skill. Notice they keep winning. **** guys like Bollig, Rosival, Bickell, Rosival. They are useless. Guys like Kane, Toews, Hossa, Panarin, Keith etc win hockey games. They just ice the others to give their useful players a rest.

No one's asking him to be Bollig. Keith, Subban, Weber, and Suter are all great examples of defenseman who finish their checks and pick their spots to do so. Wouldn't you put all right up there or above Petro? You need both to win.

You do need a certain amount of toughness to win. The Kings proved that and kept the crease clear.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
No one's asking him to be Bollig. Keith, Subban, Weber, and Suter are all great examples of defenseman who finish their checks and pick their spots to do so. Wouldn't you put all right up there or above Petro? You need both to win.

You do need a certain amount of toughness to win. The Kings proved that and kept the crease clear.

Keith isn't an example of a guy who finishes his checks. He's an example of a piece of trash that likes to slash people in the face.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
So you're condoning slashing people in dangerous places?

I think many could call many Blues players over the years pieces of trash for slashing people in the face or dangerous places or cross checking them in the face....no I don't condone it. That's not his entire game. Perhaps Backes should be removed from the NHL as well as a regular offender. Why am I defending a Black Hawk? :laugh::amazed::amazed:

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Keith gets ran at all the time, but he's like Pietrangelo, he's hard as hell to hit. Keith also isn't a big checker, he has a couple doozies a year. Outside of that, he's mainly a stick checker.

Pietrangelo is fine just as he is. Let him be Pietrangelo and not someone else

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I think many could call many Blues players over the years pieces of trash for slashing people in the face or dangerous places or cross checking them in the face....no I don't condone it. That's not his entire game. Perhaps Backes should be removed from the NHL as well as a regular offender. Why am I defending a Black Hawk? :laugh::amazed::amazed:

Backes plays on the edge, but it's a rare day when crosses it. My point is really just that you don't need to be dirty to be tough.

Plus, Petro's game is what it is. Expecting him to play physical is an exercise in futility. He's incredibly effective playing the style he does, so there's no reason for him to try to change it.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I spent a lot of time watching Petro on the PK today, and I have to say that I think he may be as important to our PK as Shattenkirk is to our PP. It was unbelievable the frequency with which the puck ended up on his stick and out of the zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad