Pietrangelo

Nayrb

Oct 10, 2011
Memphis
I may have missed this in another thread, but does anyone think that Bouwmeester going down to injury has anything to do with Pietrangelo's improved play?

Maybe he needs to be the dominant guy in the pairing to really unleash his play? Or maybe he just needed to get his butt in gear?

Would a 4 and 27 pairing make more sense? Or would splitting up Shattenkirk and Gunnarsson at this time be dumb?

I realize that I'm just asking a lot of questions but I feel as if Pietrangelo's game has been noticeably better offensively since Bouw went out.

What do y'all think?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think that was part of the original idea behind getting Gunnarsson, but we never really got to try it out since Gunnar was hurt at the start and instead of Jackman, Hitch went with Cole instead of Petro.

Of the partners taht Petro has had, he excelled with Colaiacovo in his first stint, played very well in the few times with Jackman, and for the most part has really excelled with Bouwmeester. When he's been with Cole, the pairing has struggled, but that has more to do with Cole IMO.

I think he's only been Norris caliber when he's played with someone of a lower caliber than Bouwmeester, but I think the team is better off with the Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo pairing, if that makes sense. I'd like this pairing to be used a bit more offensively when Bouwmeester returns.

Don't break up ShattGunn.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I'm all for whatever gets Petro to play like he's been playing lately. If it means a lesser partner so that he plays like the alpha, so be it. We have enough talent on defense where we can spread it out.

Speaking of dominance, I think Shattenkirk has clearly stepped his play up another level this season. I don't think it'll matter who he plays with, he's that good. That said, I remember the Jackman-Shattenkirk pairing working well last season.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
You don't break up the Shatgunn, it's stupid to break up that kind of chemistry, and offensive production just to test a theory.

Meatball

Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Jackman-Petro
Gunnarson-Shattenkirk
Jbo-Cole

Cole gets the steady partner he needs. Petro gets to play his dominant style.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Jackman-Petro
Gunnarson-Shattenkirk
Jbo-Cole

Jackman can no longer play the minutes needed, unless you're suggesting curtailing Pietro's ice time pretty dramatically.

Bouwmeester and Pietro looked fantastic together last season. I'm confident they'll find that rhythm again.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Jackman-Petro
Gunnarson-Shattenkirk
Jbo-Cole

Absolutely can't happen. Can't afford to have Jackman out there 21-23 minutes a night (minimum). Also can't be against the top lines every shift. He'd get walked.

CaseyJones

Jul 17, 2014
I rather like that idea, JBo and Petro never made much sense to me anyway. I think Petro over commits in the offensive end too often. It seems that we've had too many breakaways and rushes against us so far this season. Having a guy that likes to hang farther back, like Jackman, might be good for a guy like Alex whom, in my opinion, plays a bit too aggressively.

Nayrb

Oct 10, 2011
Memphis
You don't break up the Shatgunn, it's stupid to break up that kind of chemistry, and offensive production just to test a theory.

What if Gunnarsson and Pietrangelo works really well? And JBo and Shattenkirk does too?

Why not test it during the regular season and see if it works?

I think we can all agree that the playoffs are the only thing that matters at this point for this team. I think 27 looks like more of a game breaker without 19. Small sample size, I know, and maybe he does it with Bouwmeester as his partner.

I just don't think it's stupid to try out something during the regular season. I don't have all the answers by any means but maybe it works!

Meatball

Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
67d.gif

RR10*

I also remember Bouwmeester had something like +8 to start the season and now he has -2. That's like -10 in his last 10 games or so.

BlueMagic

Oct 19, 2014
AP needs to spend the entire next practice shooting pucks at the net. He was awful in that aspect last night. Just brutal.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
AP is having a pretty brutal season. Him and Jay-Bo were getting worked by the top line of the Avalanche last night. I think splitting him from Jay-Bo would be a good idea, b/c he seemed to really step up his overall play when Bow was on IR. The question then becomes, who do we play with AP? Cole and Jax both seem like a no, and I don't want to break up ShattGun. Butler seemed like he did OK in limited time there, I wonder if Lindbohm would be an option, as he seems very comfortable in his own zone and would let AP just do his thing. That's a lot to put on a rookie though.

The thing about AP is that he doesn't really have an elite skill set. He has one elite attribute, which is hockey IQ, but that's about it. He isn't an elite skater, he doesn't have size or a shot, and he isn't physical. He doesn't have that gamebreaking offensive ability like Keith or Doughty. He passes well, and he's a decent stickhandler, but not elite.

I'm not trying to bag on him, or think we should trade him. It's just at one point I really thought the sky was the limit for him, potential Hall-of-Fame type career. Now I think he's still an anchor for our defense, but he's not going to be that Nick Lidstrom-esque player I was expecting him to turn into.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
AP is having a pretty brutal season. Him and Jay-Bo were getting worked by the top line of the Avalanche last night. I think splitting him from Jay-Bo would be a good idea, b/c he seemed to really step up his overall play when Bow was on IR. The question then becomes, who do we play with AP? Cole and Jax both seem like a no, and I don't want to break up ShattGun. Butler seemed like he did OK in limited time there, I wonder if Lindbohm would be an option, as he seems very comfortable in his own zone and would let AP just do his thing. That's a lot to put on a rookie though.

The thing about AP is that he doesn't really have an elite skill set. He has one elite attribute, which is hockey IQ, but that's about it. He isn't an elite skater, he doesn't have size or a shot, and he isn't physical. He doesn't have that gamebreaking offensive ability like Keith or Doughty. He passes well, and he's a decent stickhandler, but not elite.

I'm not trying to bag on him, or think we should trade him. It's just at one point I really thought the sky was the limit for him, potential Hall-of-Fame type career. Now I think he's still an anchor for our defense, but he's not going to be that Nick Lidstrom-esque player I was expecting him to turn into.

I think this sums up Pietrangelo well.

Yes, he's young, and yes, he has great hockey sense, and yes, he is a defensive anchor at times, but (at this point in his career) he just doesn't have the factors that make elite players 'elite'.

Pietrangelo still has time to learn these things, but he has to be willing to take his game to the next level. He has to be willing to change how he approaches the game - if just to add an element: physicality, offensive power, speed.

I don't think this critique is coming JUST from the performance (or lack of) that he has shown this year. Pietrangelo has begun to stagnate. Something has to change - especially since Shattenkirk has refused to stop developing.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

Bolded: We don't know untill Hitch add Petteri with Pietro. I'm hyping Petteri, but I liked how he has performed these 6GP, short sample thou. I think coaching stuff has saw it also, cus he is getting icetime.

Meatball

Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Slightly off-topic, since we're bringing up Lindbohm, it's funny how he and Butler have complicated the defensive situation. That said, I have a feeling that once Gunnarson comes back, we'll see the pairings go back to the way they were. I do like how Butler and Lindbhom at least stand people up at the blueline, though. Lindbhom had one play last night where he went straight for Duchene or MacKinnon's chest when they tried to dangle around him and Lindbohom would have none of it! :yo:

A Lindbohm-Petro pairing might be just what the doctor ordered though.

Yoko Ono*

I mentioned these things about AP a couple of years ago and was flamed big time by the know-it-alls on the forum. I was told to get the Norris ready for him but I haven't seen it. Even had a few guys on here tell me I was an idiot because I said Doughty is a better overall dman than the next coming.
Just be careful you will be flamed shortly.

Freyj

Oct 5, 2012
I mentioned these things about AP a couple of years ago and was flamed big time by the know-it-alls on the forum. I was told to get the Norris ready for him but I haven't seen it. Even had a few guys on here tell me I was an idiot because I said Doughty is a better overall dman than the next coming.
Just be careful you will be flamed shortly.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
AP has an elite stick and defensive zone exits/transitions. His elite qualities just aren't flashy. He does have more even strength points than Shatty.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I think Pietro's performance in the past has bought him some reasonable doubt that he's suddenly regressed into "only" a top 15 guy. He's still eating a ton of the most difficult match-up minutes (which allows Shattenkirk to shine more) and has had a few different partners while doing it.

Its easy to imagine him coming on in the end of the season. Some posters ***** about the team going all-out in the regular season and not having a higher gear in the playoffs. Maybe this is what Pietro looks like when he's keeping some gas in the tank for the post-season. (I don't really buy that whole argument about there being a finite amount of energy that you can use up months before the post-season....but whatever.)

My point is that of all the Blues players Pietro is the guy who has probably earned the most time for patience to get back to his best level of play. When the team is still performing overall at a reasonably high level, seems like its not the biggest priority to lose faith over at the immediate time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad