Speculation: Pietrangelo Zaitsev swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Well if you have 2, and need scoring and get a good haul then you still have 1, and the rest of your D is good, however this yr for whatever reason it's the entire teams D that's the problem. To me team D is a bigger part than just position players.

2 reasons the leafs are top 3 in the NhL. Mostly scoring, and Andy has been stellar, but for a team that could use top 4 maybe top 2 RHD our actual defense position players haven't been horrible. Last night when we got killed the whole team stunk real bad in both zones. That's typically a bigger deal than on pure position.
Our LHD really aren't that great. Dunn is young and his offensive game is there but Yeo did a poor job with his development so he does have some defensive gaffes. Edmundson is overrated among Blues fans and is best suited for a bottom pair role. Bouwmeester and Gunnarsson both suck.

That's why both Parayko and Pietrangelo are a huge need. They carry our core on their backs. So justifying any trade involving them has to be a pretty substantial overpayment.

The biggest issue is coaching. Our coaching staff has been in shambles ever since Hitch left and Armstrong waited too long before making a change. Implement a proper coaching staff and this same exact group is instantly a lot better.

Our team can't afford to sacrifice defense for offense because Allen and Johnson are both horrible. We don't have Vezina level goaltending a la Toronto. Too add on, our forward core is deep but the high end talent isn't there. O'Reilly would be your third best forward and he's our best. Tarasenko is also in a similar level. Schwartz is great but not a game breaker, Schenn is meh and then it falls off a cliff.

If the team decides to try a new direction and move away from some of our key guys, banking on Thomas, Kyrou, Bokk and other younger players to lead the team going forward then maybe Armstrong is looking to move Pietrangelo. I highly doubt O'Reilly is going anywhere, I fear Tarasenko (stupidly) might and I highly doubt Parayko will.

Trading Pietrangelo for Zaitsev, who sucks and is an albatross of a contract and a few decent prospects is not gonna happen. If that's the Leafs best offer, they'd be out bid. At the very least we could get the late first and prospects without taking on a bad deal.

I could see a Petro + Schenn deal that has similar framework (although both Schenn and Pietrangelo are better) to the McDonagh + Miller trade. Although I'd expect because of the difference in ability that the prospects are of higher caliber than Howden and Hajek and the roster player can add more then Namestnkinov.

BreakingAnkles

Jan 23, 2016
Full disclosure from the start that I am a leafs fan so I may be overvaluing and what not and also this may also have already been posted (dont go on here much) but what do people think (specifically blues fans) of this proposal. This is off the basis that the blues want to retool and Dubas wants to go all in. Feel free to counter.

To Toronto:
Pietrangelo

To St Louis:
Zaitsev (negative value but needed for salary purposes)
Kapanan
Liljegren
1st

I think the leafs are giving up solid value and probably extra to get rid of zaitsevs contract here (Not gonna be one of those guys that tries to sell you that hes good cuz hes not more than a #5). Thanks for the hopefully not snarky comments.

Reactions: Crow

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
St Louis would want Nylander at least and i doubt they trade Pietriangelo. They will do a quick re-tool and be back next year. Losing him would be devestating to their d-core.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
As an actual Leafs fan all I can say is "I'm sooo glad our actual GM is much better at this than the OP'.

BreakingAnkles

Jan 23, 2016
Ok so far I've got roasted for being biased towards the leafs and for hating the leafs so I think I'm just gonna try and figure out how to delete a post lolol

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Ok so far I've got roasted for being biased towards the leafs and for hating the leafs so I think I'm just gonna try and figure out how to delete a post lolol

Dw about it, this is far from the worst offer on here, even today alone there has been worse lol. Swap Nyl and Kap and I think it’s pretty even

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Kapanen would need to change to Nylander and you would need to drop Zaitsev. Unless you intend on providing extra compensation to the Blues for bailing the Leafs out and taking Zaitsev as a cap dump.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Kapanen, Liljgren and a 1st is nothing to snot at

Kapanen is 11 + 10 and projected 57 points this year. Probably revisit this kind of deal in the offseason honestly when the Blues have a blueprint for what they want to do.

Nylander for 1.5 years of Pietroangelo is not likely, would absolutely have to be a sign in trade for Nylander to be included.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Previous thread was still on the first page. Sheesh.

It's going to be talked about, but let's give the two sides a chance to cool off a bit and give it a few days before the next one, shall we? Pietrangelo is on LTIR. He's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Merged/closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad