• other (who?)

• Marner

• Rantanen

Results are only viewable after voting.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
What is the case for Crosby over the players who outscored him in goals and points and actually play defense and PK?

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Kane could have been a finalist but he coasted for the last few weeks of the season once it became apparent that the Hawks would miss the playoffs after losing something like 6 of 7 games.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
What is the case for Crosby over the players who outscored him in goals and points and actually play defense and PK?

His argument is the same as Patrick Kane, had Chicago made the playoffs. Cat is a little further behind Kane than Guentzel is to Crosby, but Cat is top 3 in goals. Its probably going to come down to whether voters view Pens winning the division without Malkin (+ overall man games lost to injury) as more valuable to what Marchand did to get Boston into the 4th seed. Third spot is between Crosby and Marchand with the loser being 4th IMO. Can't see either guy leapfrogging Matthews.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
His argument is the same as Patrick Kane, had Chicago made the playoffs. Cat is a little further behind Kane than Guentzel is to Crosby, but Cat is top 3 in goals. Its probably going to come down to whether voters view Pens winning the division without Malkin (+ overall man games lost to injury) as more valuable to what Marchand did to get Boston into the 4th seed. Third spot is between Crosby and Marchand with the loser being 4th IMO. Can't see either guy leapfrogging Matthews.

Marchand scored more goals, more points, and is far superior defensively than Crosby, and Marchand kills penalties whereas Crosby does not.

So I guess what I am saying is I have no idea how anyone could argue Crosby was the better player this year.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Marchand scored more goals, more points, and is far superior defensively than Crosby, and Marchand kills penalties whereas Crosby does not.

So I guess what I am saying is I have no idea how anyone could argue Crosby was the better player this year.

I know what your saying, but it's the same reason someone argued Hall was a more valuable (not better) player than McDavid/Mackinnon when he won the Hart. McDavid has the hart locked up, so the writers will have more room to vote based on narratives. Marchand had a great season, but really hasn't had the media hype the way Crosby has - so for that reason I think you can start to see the picture. It's not like he's that far ahead of him in points.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Crosby doesn't deserve to be a finalist, but who exactly are you referring to? The only player who outscored him who might be better defensively is Marchand and the only two who play significant PK minutes are Marchand and Marner. Marchand was certainly better this year, but you make it sound like there's a number of guys.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
If someone wants to question the North division in terms of overall competition compared to other divisions, I think that's fair, but I'm not sure how the people who somehow think it's enough to disqualify an over 50% lead in points over the closest non-teammate manage to dress themselves in the morning.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Crosby doesn't deserve to be a finalist, but who exactly are you referring to? The only player who outscored him who might be better defensively is Marchand and the only two who play significant PK minutes are Marchand and Marner. Marchand was certainly better this year, but you make it sound like there's a number of guys.

Why are you bothering to address his comment about Crosby's defense? He's the same person who insists Crosby is a defensive liability.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
McDavid, McKinnon, Crosby

Sorry Matthew doesnt deserve to be in the top 3. Doesnt matter how many goals, 0.5A/G is a embarrassing low number to be taken seriously esp when you add it all together and your not even in the top5 for overall scoring. The only trophy he deserves is the Rocket. Marner should get more votest for the Hart then Matthews, hes the driver on the team.

Lmao okay there. This is like someone saying Drai drives the line and not McDavid.

Watch a game or two. 63 goals and 41 assists is clearly not enough assists to be Hart worthy lmao. That’s what he was pacing for btw.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
And that he gets the Rocket, well deserved trophy, doesnt mean hes a auto for top3 of the Hart. Im not saying he didnt have a incredible season. Just dont think he is in the covo for the Hart, cause its arguable that Marner might be more valuable to the Leafs.

So would also agree that Draisatl is overrated? After all McDavid drives his team and line right?

Also Marner doesn’t drive the Leafs. Such a stupid take. Both are strong players. But saying Marner is better or drives more play is like saying Draisatl is better than McDavid. That’s how dumb you sound.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
McDavid
Matthews
McDavid again

No he's not. This is a ridiculous narrative that is purely because y'all just refuse to believe that Matthews is as good as we say he is.

Its just salty Oilers fans for some reason lmao. Like you’d think they’d be content with having the best player in the league.

But nope, the Matthews hate can never end. Best goal scorer in the league by so much that it’s actually comical. Unquestionably a Hart candidate and would’ve won if McDavid wasn’t so insane.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
But nope, the Matthews hate can never end. Best goal scorer in the league by so much that it’s actually comical.

Does one season of superior goal scoring really put you ahead by so much it's actually comical? I mean, just a year ago he didn't win the Rocket. He was third.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Does one season of superior goal scoring really put you ahead by so much it's actually comical? I mean, just a year ago he didn't win the Rocket. He was third.

Look at his goal scoring totals under Keefe (its around 100 games so not a small sample). No one touches him.

He is so far ahead. Over the last two seasons (including time with Babcock) he’s around 15 goals ahead of second place.

Babcock gave him trash line mates and horrible ice time (he played Marleau more than him in a game 7). When he got the usage he deserved under Keefe, he showed how far above everyone else he is.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Best goal scorer in the league by so much that it’s actually comical
Going back to 2018/2019

upload_2021-5-18_12-2-44.png

Maybe we view comical differently. He is defintely the best goal scorer but 1 more goal than Drai and 2 more than Ovechkin isn't exactly a comical gap.

They have an award for the guy that leads the league in goals:

upload_2021-5-18_12-5-40.png

Am I crazy to say the best goal scorer has been Ovechkin in the last 5 years? Just based on the award for that actual achievement. 4 of the last 5. Austin now has 1. Maybe wait till he wins 2 or 3 more?

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Going back to 2018/2019

View attachment 435406

Maybe we view comical differently. He is defintely the best goal scorer but 1 more goal than Drai and 2 more than Ovechkin isn't exactly a comical gap.

They have an award for the guy that leads the league in goals:

View attachment 435410

Am I crazy to say the best goal scorer has been Ovechkin in the last 5 years? Just based on the award for that actual achievement. 4 of the last 5. Austin now has 1. Maybe wait till he wins 2 or 3 more?

Context is important. I’ve already explained my statement.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Look at his goal scoring totals under Keefe (its around 100 games so not a small sample). No one touches him.

He is so far ahead. Over the last two seasons (including time with Babcock) he’s around 15 goals ahead of second place.

Looking at 5v5 he's even further ahead. Still think it's premature to dub him the greatest gift to humanity based on two pretty irregular seasons where we yet have no knowledge of the effect this pandemic had on individual player's performance. He repeats next season I promise I'll revisit this thread to tell you you were right.

Reactions: Mats13

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3