Pick a duo for 5 years - Gretzky/Hasek or Lemieux/Orr

Pick a duo for 5 consecutive years - Gretzky/Hasek or Lemieux/Orr

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Sure we all know Mario, Wayne and Bobby would have had a dynasty with the late 90 Sabers right?

I certainly think so, 100% absolutely. "Dynasty" - maybe not, but absolutely at least 1 cup, or 2. Peak versions of those 3 guys are too good to not win a cup. (and after Edmonton isn't peak Gretzky anymore before someone brings it up - and I also didn't say they'd win a cup every year).

I think Hasek is fantastic, absolutely. Especially when looking at best 5 consecutive years (I pick Roy for career playoffs easily, but 5 years straight? hard to touch Hasek). That's why I put him in this poll. But to me - he's the very clear weak link of the 4, for 2 reasons:

1. He simply isn't as good as the other 3. This should be obvious

2. A goalie - no matter how good - can be said to have more limited value over a positional player. Because if you don't have Hasek - odds are you get an average #1 goalie for almost free. If you don't have Lemieux as #1C - you can't get an average #1C for free. An average #1C in today's league is probably Stamkos/Tavares level. Two of the most sought after UFA's in the past 25 years, with insanely high cost/competition to acquire them. So - if you pass on Lemieux, you don't get one of those guys as easily as you can replace Hasek with a decent goalie.

Reactions: mattihp

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
In what universe is a 3 game sample size in 74-75 Orr's second best playoff run? You don't think he did better in 1972, when he won a smythe thanks to a performance of 24 points and + 20 in 15 games?

Being a plus 7 in a 3 game series indicates the level of dominance that Orr had in that 3 game series, it's not his fault the rest of the team faltered, if it is then sure throw Hasek out too because it's obviously his fault that the sabers couldn't win the SC with him right?

The 72 Smythe year is also part of his 3 best performances and it is going to be included in any 5 year run so why are you bringing that up?

It's either 69-70 or 74-75 that isn't going to make the 5 year bar you set here.

Again though - you pick a player, you get him for 5 years. We're not copy/pasting his stats. You get him for 5 years with the other player (in Orr's case - Mario) I identified, and whatever happens happens. Just because in reality in 1975 Orr happened to only play 3 playoff games, doesn't mean that w/Mario he doesn't maybe do a lot better. That's the idea of this thread, speculation as to which duo works out better over the 5 year stretch.

My bad, I didn't realize that the point of this thread was to not look at actual facts but rather to speculate....using what exactly?

Would love to hear how Hasek tilts the ice 200ft better than Mario does.

I brought up the example of the worst year in the 5 year sample for Hasek, you know the one where he wasn't the 1st team all star and wasn't top 3 in Hart voting (which he was in the ohter 4 years) and he still had a save % of .920 while the other goalies on his team were under .900 collectively.

I've always found the expression "tilts the ice" to be much to do about nothing.

It's not an expression, it can be and is measured in ESGF/ESGA ratios and R-on R-off numbers as well and then analyzed for context within any players team.

Mario simply doesn't tilt the ice anywhere near the level of Orr and Gretzky plain and simple.

I also think that it's the case that Hasek tilts it more as outlined above.

If we're talking about playoffs - i'd argue Mario's best 5 year stretch is superior to Orr's, and certainly to Hasek's (by a lot).

Really why would that be as Mario didn't even tilt the ice enough to get his team into the playoffs and once there he certainly didn't have the overall impact that Orr did nor Hasek.

I really feel like I'm wasting my time arguing with you. Pretty sure I remember in the past you saying Crosby is better than Lemieux. Some outrageous undervaluing of some players are probably better left alone.

Mario is over rated but if one only wants to look at video game stats and not overall impact then sure you are wasting your time here as all one really needs to do is look up stats, something you seem to argue selectively anyways given the Orr comment above.

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I certainly think so, 100% absolutely. "Dynasty" - maybe not, but absolutely at least 1 cup, or 2. Peak versions of those 3 guys are too good to not win a cup. (and after Edmonton isn't peak Gretzky anymore before someone brings it up - and I also didn't say they'd win a cup every year).

Funny that Mario couldn't get past the second round in 92-93 or the first round in 93-94 with the lineup the Pens had then eh?

Heck in 80-90 he couldn't even get the Pens to the playoffs and that was with Paul Coffey.

Gretzky was better at elevating but he is on team Hasek.

Even Orr as great as he was only had 2 Sc's with Boston but compared to the Buffalo team you really think he could elevate them to a SC any year from 94-95 to 98-99

I think Hasek is fantastic, absolutely. Especially when looking at best 5 consecutive years (I pick Roy for career playoffs easily, but 5 years straight? hard to touch Hasek). That's why I put him in this poll. But to me - he's the very clear weak link of the 4, for 2 reasons:

No it's not clear that he is the weak link with 4 first team all stars and Hart finishes of 1,1,3,3 and leading the NHL every year in save % over that time period.

1. He simply isn't as good as the other 3. This should be obvious

Once again it's not obvious at all.

2. A goalie - no matter how good - can be said to have more limited value over a positional player. Because if you don't have Hasek - odds are you get an average #1 goalie for almost free.

If you don't have Lemieux as #1C - you can't get an average #1C for free. An average #1C in today's league is probably Stamkos/Tavares level. Two of the most sought after UFA's in the past 25 years, with insanely high cost/competition to acquire them. So - if you pass on Lemieux, you don't get one of those guys as easily as you can replace Hasek with a decent goalie.

I understand what you are saying here but it doesn't work that way in your example, most teams have backup goalies and backup centers as well.

Mario had Francis behind him, Gretzky had Messier and I have already outlined how dominant Hasek was over his backups.

Also if teams can just get a #1 goalie for almost free as you state then why would they ever sign them to large contracts?

A guy like Hasek in a 5 year stretch leading the NHL in save % and being top 3 in Hart voting 4 times simply doesn't happen very often in the last 40 years at all.

He isn't the weak link here at all.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
"Gretzky never won a cup after leaving Edmonton". Yes but he made the SCF.

Lemieux never passed the 2nd round without Jagr.

None of the 4 players in this poll ever saw any team success without the help of a stacked team around them.

The two who got the closest to doing it on their own were Gretzky and Hasek.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
Agreed. The guy who never won a conn smythe and who didnt win a cup in his prime is the one whose going to win on his own.
Well that's an awfully obtuse way of putting it. Kind of like - so the guy who never won a cup without Messier, Kurri, or the guy who never won without Jagr, Francis and Coffee or the guy who never won one without Phil Esposito... yadda yadda yadda...

But yes, that's exactly what I mean.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
This is the toughest poll I can remember on here. I'll take Mario/Orr barely.

LOL at the guy that called Mario the weak link of the 4

ijuka

May 14, 2016
You know we're uh, talking about Hasek here... right?
Hasek can't exactly play in the offensive zone, right? Or the middle of the ice. Goalie also has zero impact on power play.

Goalie only affects the play on his side of the ice. Indeed, might be able to perform some robberies where the enemy team completely dominates otherwise. But IMO it's better to just dominate the opponent instead, so that their goalie needs to be the one to perform a robbery.

Reactions: Thenameless

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
You have the best skater all of time (out of the 2 other players — Hasek isn’t in this) and the best non-skater of all time.

You can also look at like this:

You have the best player to put the puck in the net (not just goal scoring but playmaking — if the puck is on his stick, most likely it will end up in a goal regardless of method)

You have the best player to keep the puck out of the net

Easy

Last edited:

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
You have the best player to keep the puck out of the net.

Actually, Bobby Orr is probably better than Hasek in this respect. His ability to control the flow of the game and his puck possession ability would prevent more goals from being scored on his team. And as an added bonus, he also provides offense.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Hasek can't exactly play in the offensive zone, right? Or the middle of the ice. Goalie also has zero impact on power play.

Goalie only affects the play on his side of the ice. Indeed, might be able to perform some robberies where the enemy team completely dominates otherwise. But IMO it's better to just dominate the opponent instead, so that their goalie needs to be the one to perform a robbery.

Actually a goalie may face a SH shot so zero impact on the PP is incorrect, we also just decided to ignore the PK altogether here.

An underperforming/overperforming goalie has more impact on the outcome of the game. Even just one bad goal/steal has significant impact.

I'll ask again. You know we're talking about Hasek, right?

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
I can't grasp that some people here are downplaying the impact of a goalie who dragged the Sabres to the SC finals kicking and screaming with nothing but his own force of will and clinical insanity.

Not to mention that this wall of f*** Your Offense willed into existence a Winter Olympic Gold Medal for the Czech Republic. In the first WOG with NHL squads no less.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
I can't grasp that some people here are downplaying the impact of a goalie who dragged the Sabres to the SC finals kicking and screaming with nothing but his own force of will and clinical insanity.

Not to mention that this wall of f*** Your Offense willed into existence a Winter Olympic Gold Medal for the Czech Republic. In the first WOG with NHL squads no less.
No one is downplaying Hasek. Lemieux and Orr are arguably top 2 best players of all time.

Reactions: Thenameless

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Coming from the guy who thinks ovechkin is better then Crosby lmao.

Ovechkin actually has an argument over Crosby because of better peak seasons, way more individual hardware, being the GOAT goal scorer, etc. Lemieux's "arguments" over Gretzky are your sad "what ifs". Big difference.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Ovechkin actually has an argument over Crosby because of better peak seasons, way more individual hardware, being the GOAT goal scorer, etc. Lemieux's "arguments" over Gretzky are your sad "what ifs". Big difference.
Even if you think Gretzky is better than Lemieux, he still has an argument for #2. Same goes for Orr.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

No one is downplaying Hasek per se - just downplaying him in relation to Gretzky/Lemieux/Orr we are, who are the 3 best players of all time, and arguably own all of the best playoff runs of all-time among the 3 of them.

Hasek was fantastic in 1999 - but it's his only such run, and they did fall short of the cup in the end. And it's nowhere near the top goalie playoff run ever - not even top 5, probably not top 10. Roy has better runs as does Giguere - and that's in surrounding years alone.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
No one is downplaying Hasek per se - just downplaying him in relation to Gretzky/Lemieux/Orr we are, who are the 3 best players of all time, and arguably own all of the best playoff runs of all-time among the 3 of them.

Hasek was fantastic in 1999 - but it's his only such run, and they did fall short of the cup in the end. And it's nowhere near the top goalie playoff run ever - not even top 5, probably not top 10. Roy has better runs as does Giguere - and that's in surrounding years alone.

Your argument completely ignores surrounding cast. If a goalie put an otherwise AHL caliber team on his back and took them to the Cup finals it would be the greatest performance in Cup history, but one could use the same argument you make to downplay his results.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Your argument completely ignores surrounding cast. If a goalie put an otherwise AHL caliber team on his back and took them to the Cup finals it would be the greatest performance in Cup history, but one could use the same argument you make to downplay his results.

Others can speak better than me to the quality of team in Buffalo in 1999 - but just because it wasn't full of stars doesn't mean it was an AHL team or that the team wasn't built in a way to maximize Hasek's performance/value. I've seen many such posts detailing and explaining that.

1999 Hasek.
1998 Kolzig Washington
1996 Vanbiesbrouck Florida

all 3 finalist goalies on teams weak on stars.

Hasek was great in 1999. It is not the greatest playoff run by a goalie, it is not even in the top 10.
All of Orr/Lemieux/Gretzky have arguments for 2 of their runs being among the best of all time. Top 1-5, depending on what you like.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Buffalo wasn't a great team, but it was a good defensive team with some solid defensive forwards and defensive defencemen. More importantly for 1999 though, the team did give Hasek good offensive support in the playoffs. The average goals scored by a team per game in those playoffs was 2.54 but through the first three rounds Buffalo scored 3.3 goals per game, with Buffalo at 3 goals per game in the first round, 2.83 in the second round, and 4.2 in the third round. In the finals Buffalo faced powerhouse Dallas, scored 1.5 goals per game and lost.

Anyway, Hasek had a really good 1999 playoffs on a team that was in general pretty good defensively but otherwise mediocre. The main difference between 1999 and other years was more likely that Buffalo gave Hasek elite goal support through three rounds, and being the great goaltender that he was he took advantage of it. Buffalo scored at least 2 goals in every single game through the first three rounds, and given that it was a solid defensive team to start with I'd say that the team gave Hasek great support in terms of getting to the finals. Not that you're saying this exactly, but Buffalo certainly didn't play like an AHL team outside of Hasek on its way to the 1999 finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad