Phoenix XXXVI - There's got to be a morning after

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetFan4Ever

May 23, 2010
Two weeks = Too funny!

However, once a decsision is finally made, I will backtrack two weeks and see who gets the prize for being correct. Like the old saying goes, even a blind squirrel finds nut once in awhile.

davemac1313

Jan 20, 2011
Keewatin, Ontario
I am more inclined to think that the end game will be more of the NHL presenting COG with a contract to purchase the team, from TNSE, with a 7 or 14 day deadline for COG to close with MH, in order to keep the team. During this period, TNSE will conduct there ticket drive and COG will be turning every stone looking for money to support the MH bid. If they fail, team goes to Winnipeg, if they succeed they keep the team. During this same period, I would like to see, but doubt I will, see the same Season Ticket drive in Glendale, if MH is going to up his bid, you would think he would like to see the same from the Glendale market. Pressure is applied to all areas of the transaction to ensure that when the decision comes, there is no further delay to closing.

Should the Glendale bid succeed and the team stays, the time frame for marketing/tickets etc is already in place for TNSE, so an alternate market that may be for sale could be dropped in overnight with zero delay, tickets/boxes and merchandise is ready to go..

If the league stands pat for 4 more weeks, then has to walk away it is very late to consider relocating 1 franchise, if all doesn't go very quickly and very well, the NHL ends up with egg on its face, again. And it still has one more club to deal with and no time to do it.

This can all take place with the playoffs going and would provide less distraction and perhaps more positive press than sitting doing nothing until the season ends. I think the time frame to put this in motion is within 7 days (down to 1 week)...deadline is either on the table now for COG or will be by this Friday, 1 week to get the news out to both markets and 2 weeks to close. Schedules etc are all settled by June 1.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
The people who really suffer is fans in Phoenix and Winnipeg who have to listen to the silence, with the odd wild rumour to speculate on here and there.

This. The powers that be need to realize that it's not the mid-90's anymore and that information is easily obtainable now (whether it's true or rumor). Stringing along fans for this long is horrible.

Fidel Astro

Aug 26, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
www.witchpolice.com
I am more inclined to think that the end game will be more of the NHL presenting COG with a contract to purchase the team, from TNSE, with a 7 or 14 day deadline for COG to close with MH, in order to keep the team. During this period, TNSE will conduct there ticket drive and COG will be turning every stone looking for money to support the MH bid. If they fail, team goes to Winnipeg, if they succeed they keep the team.

I really hope this doesn't happen. It would just be an excuse for the NHL to add insult to injury and get Winnipeggers to pledge their money and support in the ticket drive (which would definitely be successful), only to have everything pulled away from us (again) at the very last minute when some ******** "miracle" is discovered in the desert.

They need to either keep the team there or move it here, not keep both sides in limbo.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
You make an excellent point. I think when people try to take too much of a micro-economic view they miss out on the big picture.

Every tourism dollar generated specifically from folks in the greater Phoenix area for the Super Bowl (yes, even Scottsdale) went to Maricopa County businesses (regardless of cities); and generated tax revenues for those cities, the county and state.

It also helped all those businesses significantly drive new business into their establishments and positioned themselves for return business. Applies to Glendale businesses, too.

And, most certainly, as Glendale grows and continues to develop retail, hotel, and commercial property around the UOP Stadium, Jobing and Westgate, more of those dollars will stay in Glendale.

Then maybe those other cities, the county, and the state should kick in money instead of making Glendale foot the entire bill.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
Then maybe those other cities, the county, and the state should kick in money instead of making Glendale foot the entire bill.

I think those other mayors are beginning to make statements of support now in the media. I don't think any money will be coming though.

PitbulI

Dec 22, 2010
Doing a season ticket drive would just make everyone in Winnipeg really angry with Bettman/the NHL because if the team comes that close to coming back then Glendale/Bettman finds a creative way to keep the team in Glendale, that would just be worse than losing the Jets in the first place.

Losing the team was creating the wound. The AHL team here was at the time salt in the wound. Having this happen would be like pouring aftershave in the wound.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Money spent by the CoG ( so far ) to get us to where we are today.

$238,000* - Husk Partners, media relations and lobbying.

Has there been a bigger waste of money than this? I'd hate to see how the "media relations" game would have gone if Glendale wasn't getting some high priced help.

I think those other mayors are beginning to make statements of support now in the media. I don't think any money will be coming though.

I'm sure all sorts of people support the Coyotes staying in Glendale, just as long as they don't have to pay for it. That includes Hulsizer.

davemac1313

Jan 20, 2011
Keewatin, Ontario
Doing a season ticket drive would just make everyone in Winnipeg really angry with Bettman/the NHL because if the team comes that close to coming back then Glendale/Bettman finds a creative way to keep the team in Glendale, that would just be worse than losing the Jets in the first place.

Losing the team was creating the wound. The AHL team here was at the time salt in the wound. Having this happen would be like pouring aftershave in the wound.

And so...what if they wait til the season ends, do a ticket drive and the ticket threshold is not reached in WPG (unlikely to happen IMO)...then what does the league do?? Does TNSE still buy?? I think its something Winnipeg MUST PROVE to the league and BOG's. Reports suggest that some BOG's are skeptical of the ability of WPG to sell out seasons tickets. If it must be proven, do it now.

If the COG has until the season ends to come up with the cash, and they do, then what?? mid June...schedule is done...no team for WPG...if the situation in Atlanta is not solved the league has that all next season and the WPG fans have that carrot to deal with for another year...then what after that? Florida?? Columbus?? how many years could this go with WPG still having no team at the end of the day.

Put a gun to the head of all parties now and solve this, end this, whatever. Deal with Coyotes/Thrashers/Winnipeg all at the same time. This is about Phoenix, if they have no deadline and no pressure this will go on for another 2 years. Wpg and Phoenix fans are all ready for a conclusion, force one already...involve the fans and the potential owners and the cities....its time for the final...it's game 7 already, everyone is already invested...play it out now...determine the winner.

If COG wins...there is still time to do something if another market needs to happen this year. If this waits another 5 weeks for the playoffs to end, time is too short to NOT drag another market/team/fanbase through this garbage for another full year.

borno87

Dec 16, 2010
Dreger Report

Dreger is 100% absolutely reading these threads.... Notice the heading for #3 in the Dreger Report Today (also its content).

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/dregerreport/

3) When Will Then Be Now? Winnipeg has a breaking point and sources say that mark isn't far off as the city and True North await word from the National Hockey League as to what direction it intends to go with the Phoenix Coyotes.

True North has been incredibly patient, but doesn't want the waiting game they're involved in to drag on much longer. Sources say the league is well aware of Winnipeg's timing concerns, but the NHL remains committed to exhausting every conceivable option to keep the Coyotes in Glendale.

Winnipeg hopes to have an answer this week, or prior to next week's American Hockey League spring meeting, although historically, decisions on franchise locations and divisional adjustments can be made after the AHL's annual gathering so there's no real pressure for Winnipeg to declare the status of the Manitoba Moose for next season.

Last edited:

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Wasn't there an article out yesterday saying the AHL isn't pressuring the Moose to make a decision by the meeting and they can wait til June.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I don't buy anything Dreger says about TNSE.

TNSE runs a very tight-run ship from everything I've seen. Not even people in Winnipeg (save a few ;)) have a grasp on what they are doing. I doubt sources close to them would tell Dreger anything.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Two weeks = Too funny!

However, once a decsision is finally made, I will backtrack two weeks and see who gets the prize for being correct. Like the old saying goes, even a blind squirrel finds nut once in awhile.

Two weeks = Too Weak, of an answer.

GSC2k2*

Wasn't there an article out yesterday saying the AHL isn't pressuring the Moose to make a decision by the meeting and they can wait til June.
That was a while back, but it did say that, yes.

I am comfortable in saying that the absolute LAST thing on the list of concerns of anyone involved in any aspect of a transaction is the needs or desires of the AHL.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg

I am comfortable in saying that the absolute LAST thing on the list of concerns of anyone involved in any aspect of a transaction is the needs or desires of the AHL.

For once I agree with you :handclap:

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Has there been a bigger waste of money than this? I'd hate to see how the "media relations" game would have gone if Glendale wasn't getting some high priced help.

I'm sure all sorts of people support the Coyotes staying in Glendale, just as long as they don't have to pay for it. That includes Hulsizer.

I actually support the Yotes staying in Glendale but I think it is wrong for them to receive public funds to stay.

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
Dreger is 100% absolutely reading these threads.... Notice the heading for #3 in the Dreger Report Today (also its content).

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/dregerreport/

Didn't someone post that the drop dead date for TNSE was May 1st and that TNSE would have to decline if the sale hadn't taken place by then. I just remember this point coming up several times during the first 3 months of the year but am too lazy to review old posts.

PitbulI

Dec 22, 2010

I would agree with you but I believe TNSE does care about the AHL because there is a much bigger chance Winnipeg will get used by the NHL and TNSE would need to keep the Moose.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
At this juncture, hearsay doesn't fly.

A gentle reminder:

Outlandish claims of inside information: This is subjective and will be at the discretion of the moderator after consulting with other posters and other administrators. Deference will be given to veteran members who have established credibility. If you're an insider, contact us with proof BEFORE you post.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Mod: I removed the references to that goofy speculation from Sunnucks about relo fees. It has taken on a life of its own.

PeeBee78

Sep 18, 2009
T-Dot!
GoldwaterInst Goldwater Institute
Nick Dranias appeared yesterday on the @JimSharpe show to discuss the latest #Coyotes developments. http://is.gd/YIzHEU

In this interview Nick Dranias makes it sound like it's legal for them to pay the amount out of the Enterprise fund....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad