Phoenix XXXIX: You Never Give Me Your Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
That will never happen, the governors wont let the NHL post a loss with the Coyotes.

They'll relocate them before selling them for less then it cost them to operate the franchise.

And that is where the problem has long lay. The team wasn't worth the $140 million that the league paid to acquire the team, and it certainly isn't worth whatever they are asking now (reported to be $170 million+), with over two years of losses.

I have to wonder if the NHL uses the $60 million relocation fee from Atlanta and uses that to subsidize the Coyotes' sale.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
That 60 Million is spread to all the other teams (I think) so I doubt they can. Unless they just E-Mail the owners saying "Can I haz 60 million dollars?"

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
That 60 Million is spread to all the other teams (I think) so I doubt they can. Unless they just E-Mail the owners saying "Can I haz 60 million dollars?"

So is the Coyotes ownership, isn't it? The $60 million was unprecedented in the first place, so I don't believe it is out of the realm of possibility that the NHL always intended to use it to subsidize the Coyotes sale.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

That will never happen, the governors wont let the NHL post a loss with the Coyotes.

They'll relocate them before selling them for less then it cost them to operate the franchise.

I agree. There was no way the BoG was going to lose money on buying the Coyotes just to keep it from Basillie. The NHL did it, because Bettman always had Winnipeg in his back pocket with $170M ( or there abouts ), and now even potentially Quebec or someone else. Either way they won't be losing money.

Heck, worse case the NHL can hold thier own auction and say, "Team for sale, can move it to wherever you want" and open it up to the highest bidder.

I hope you are both right. I would love to see the return of the Nordique.

Scottrocks58*

I hope you are both right. I would love to see the return of the Nordique.

Seems that with that pathetic horse barn that the Oilers play in, with no interest in Edmonton to gift an arena to the owner, that the Oilers have a better chance of relocation to Quebec than the Coyotes. I'm sure that my family back in Mont Royal would love to stick it to Western Canada by taking one of their teams to the province.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Seems that with that pathetic horse barn that the Oilers play in, with no interest in Edmonton to gift an arena to the owner, that the Oilers have a better chance of relocation to Quebec than the Coyotes. I'm sure that my family back in Mont Royal would love to stick it to Western Canada by taking one of their teams to the province.

Unfortunately, for your family, the Oilers and the city of Edmonton are on the verge of an agreement.

Scottrocks58*

Unfortunately, for your family, the Oilers and the city of Edmonton are on the verge of an agreement.

They may well be, thanks to that American, Bettman. He is so misunderstood. Still, there is no shovel in the ground, so nothing is definite. Either way, I doubt that the Coyotes will be in play by the time the shovel hits the ground in QC. Reinsdorf will get his sweet heart deal.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Would love to see the team in Quebec City.

Really?. Well ya know what KevyD?. Id LOVE to see a return of the Diques' as well. Cant beat that Habs rivalry. But not like this. Not at the expense of Phoenix. Not at the expense of another citys fans nor its investments financially & emotionally. Have you forgotten?.... Shame shame shame!.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Really?. Well ya know what KevyD?. Id LOVE to see a return of the Diques' as well. Cant beat that Habs rivalry. But not like this. Not at the expense of Phoenix. Not at the expense of another citys fans nor its investments financially & emotionally. Have you forgotten?.... Shame shame shame!.

Your posts always make me smile. Well, they do now that you got rid of that Avatar.

:)

dobiezeke*

They may well be, thanks to that American, Bettman. He is so misunderstood. Still, there is no shovel in the ground, so nothing is definite. Either way, I doubt that the Coyotes will be in play by the time the shovel hits the ground in QC. Reinsdorf will get his sweet heart deal.

That is because the shovel is in Phoenix waiting to commence digging of the grave...:)

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

Not necessarily disagreeing, but given that the NHL has outright denied that it is looking to expand, does it not come down to a relocated team or no team for a city like Quebec?

dobiezeke*

I apologize for the temporary derailing of this thread...

If JR can come through and make this team work in Phoenix, all the best to him. I have no insight such as the ever speculation/postulating/weak poetic Killion:), but I do believe JR is awaiting in the wings to make a barebone proposal on his terms to purchase the franchise.

The city of Phoenix/GPA has repeatedly illustrated their desire and ability to not only sustain professional franchises, they have witnessed the creation of world class facilities. This city does have a fanbase to support the Coyotes. I am amazed that with the debacle that has gone on for two years that they had any season ticket support, let alone an increase in sales.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.

Since the Oilers make more than 2.5 times the gate revenue of the Coyotes, have one of the largest TV audiences in the league and have a multi-billionaire, relatively young local owner, I'd find your suggestion laughable. The Oilers will get a new arena in the next few years and are in any case in no danger at all of relocating. Anyone that thinks differently just does not understand the situation.

The Coyotes, on the other hand, went bankrupt and have not been able to find a buyer for several years now, even pre-bankruptcy. The only way NHL works in Glendale is if massive subsidies are available to curtail millions in losses due to low demand for NHL hockey in the area.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
John Shannon implied, in a recent interview, that J.R. was waiting in the wings to buy the Coyotes if no one else does.

My read on the situation...

He does not want the team but will step in, if need be, to save the team.

Hmm I interpret that to mean, when you can't sell it and are ready to give it to someone, look me up.

I don't really understand what that means. Would he be willing to step in a "save the team" by accepting a bad financial deal? I doubt it. He could have done that many times already. Also, the NHL probably could have sold this team long ago if they were willing to slash the price. JR will purchase the Coyotes only on terms that he thinks are good from a financial perspective.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Not necessarily disagreeing, but given that the NHL has outright denied that it is looking to expand, does it not come down to a relocated team or no team for a city like Quebec?

Taking the leagues statements at face value, yes, no expansion = no team. Taking Gary Bettmans statement at face value that "Atlanta was a one off, dont expect to see that happening again" = no team for QC, and no soup for you...

Both statements & positions defy logic. The league along with certainly one, possibly two teams may have no choice but to relocate. Expansion is a card Im quite certain a number of the BOG's are seriously contemplating, as the franchise fee's & ancillary benefits to guys like Jacobs & Lieweke represent a substantial winfall.

Additionally, expansion would go far in appeasing the NHLPA & extracting concessions through the creation of 50, 75 or 100 more positions. Provided its done slowly, say 2 teams in 2015 & 2 more in 2018 or 2020, no problem in terms of finding the talent without any loss of quality overall...

...this post, along with most others I deposit here-in are of course far from being poetic, the works of an overtaxed & weak mind wildly postulating purely speculative drivel making sense to no one, but me... just another bug eating loony toon late for the dinner bell at the Sanitarium.

I have no insight such as the ever speculation/postulating/weak poetic Killion :)...

Your doing just fine Grasshopper. :laugh:

Last edited:

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I don't really understand what that means. Would he be willing to step in a "save the team" by accepting a bad financial deal? I doubt it. He could have done that many times already. Also, the NHL probably could have sold this team long ago if they were willing to slash the price. JR will purchase the Coyotes only on terms that he thinks are good from a financial perspective.

And that's the thing...ultimately, saving the Yotes doesn't necessarily "save" them so much as it may come down to picking the lesser of two evils: sweetheart deal for an owner such that the team might eventually move anyway, or they move sooner than later.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia

apples & oranges...

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Aye buddy,

I am just reading between the lines of what John Shannon said. It sounded like JR and the NHL have an agreement. The NHL will try and sell the team for the remainder of the year. If they cannot, they will allow JR to step in and take the team for a song.

I could easily be wrong. Heck, I hope I am.

:)

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
sounds like to me that the only way the yotes stay in the desert is if someone takes a big hit... I mean a huge hit in the pocket book.....and who would wanna do that taking into account the economic climate in the USA overall and most specifically around the westgate area/mall....is the CoG gonna step up for another year or does the NHL wanna stay the course for another year as such...rebecca from the arizona republic doubted very much that the nhl would want to do that, and quite frankly, after spending 50 mill so far, does throwing another 25 mill make much sense to the CoG.?....how does the CoG get back there 50 mill they have spent so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad