Phoenix XXXIX: You Never Give Me Your Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
My understanding (that I understand is not shared by many here) is that the 25MM subsidy is a year by year deal separate from the lease. The lease is renewable at the leagues discretion but the cash is separate.

Thats correct. I think most understand that no?... called "Arena Management Fee".
Big difference between a "subsidy" and an "Arena Management Fee" Mungman... :naughty:

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
Arena management fee.....

14smwbm.jpg

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I think the CoG has every right to insist on a long term lease. Why wouldn't / shouldn't they? It is what they had before, when they stepped up to the plate and took on building an arena to house this NHL franchise.... it's also perhaps the main thing that has kept the team in Arizona.

Not saying they shouldn't try for the long term lease, but if that is the only thing holding up this deal from closing, then maybe they should rethink that demand. Is it better to have the team for at least 7 years, and work your butts off to keep it longer than that, or to not have it all because the CoG wants the holy grail?

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I believe the Coyotes game will be sold out this coming Saturday though.

The Winnipeg Jets are coming to town. Oh I would love to go to that game. there will probably be more retro Jets jerseys in the crowd. After all it would be cheaper flying to Pheonix and getting a ticket than trying to get one for the Pheonix @ Jets game at the MTS Centre.

On the ownership front. I haven't been on the forum in a couple weeks. Wasn't there a prospective owner stepping forward? What happened to that?

According to the team's official blogger yesterday.... about 2,400 tickets remain.

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
Your understanding is absolutely correct. It's all public record so not sure how there can be any doubt:
- The subsidy is year to year; capped at $25MM; approved by vote of the Glendale City Council.
- The lease is an executed agreement which contains a provision that allows extension or transfer at the sole discretion of the NHL.

I've seen the error several times (usually after it hasn't been discussed for awhile) where people assume that the 25MM is part of the lease agreement and if the league extends a year they're automatically getting 25MM, now with the current make-up of the CoG council that may not be far from the truth.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
According to the team's official blogger yesterday.... about 2,400 tickets remain.

Wonder if there's going to be more action on the ice or in the stands between Phoenix and Peg fans :sarcasm:

Many Yotes fans in the valley are transplanted Canadians who were fans of the original Jets once (some would even show up in Jets' gear) so who knows? Apparently there are also some fans from Winnipeg chartering in for the game.

Can't be any worse than when Buffalo or Detroit come to town. ;)

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
Wonder if there's going to be more action on the ice or in the stands between Phoenix and Peg fans :sarcasm:

I doubt it will come to that, but I wouldn't be surprised if arena security isn't a little over zealous when it comes to Jet fans celebrations. They can be a little heavy-handed at times, which creats more issues sometimes than what is going on between the fans.

Scottrocks58*

Many Yotes fans in the valley are transplanted Canadians who were fans of the original Jets once (some would even show up in Jets' gear) so who knows? Apparently there are also some fans from Winnipeg chartering in for the game.

Can't be any worse than when Buffalo or Detroit come to town. ;)

Fights in the stands are absolutely the worst thing about sports. Phoenix has had relatively little of that compared to other cities, even in sold out football games. As Winnipeg is not a natural rival to the Coyotes, after the relocation nonsense has died down Winnipeg will be looked at as just another struggling (on ice) Canadian team out of our division. I'm sure that some up north would like to see a rivalry develop, it would take a lot of on ice animosity against the Jets by the players for the fans down here to keep the rivalry going. That is why most of us still hate the Stars (Hatcher - Roenick).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Fights in the stands are absolutely the worst thing about sports. Phoenix has had relatively little of that compared to other cities, even in sold out football games. As Winnipeg is not a natural rival to the Coyotes, after the relocation nonsense has died down Winnipeg will be looked at as just another struggling (on ice) Canadian team out of our division. I'm sure that some up north would like to see a rivalry develop, it would take a lot of on ice animosity against the Jets by the players for the fans down here to keep the rivalry going. That is why most of us still hate the Stars (Hatcher - Roenick).

Ditto... I have no interest in seeing the Coyotes, and I'm glad that they didn't relocate to Winnipeg lest we be subjected to endless pontifications about "righting a wrong", etc. I can't see any real reason for a rivalry between these teams now that Winnipeg has its own NHL team. But it would be a bit unnatural if Jets' fans didn't feel just a twinge of extra enthusiasm should the Jets manage to beat the Coyotes... sort of closing the book and settling in with "our" team.

Fidel Astro

Aug 26, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
www.witchpolice.com
Ditto... I have no interest in seeing the Coyotes, and I'm glad that they didn't relocate to Winnipeg lest we be subjected to endless pontifications about "righting a wrong", etc. I can't see any real reason for a rivalry between these teams now that Winnipeg has its own NHL team. But it would be a bit unnatural if Jets' fans didn't feel just a twinge of extra enthusiasm should the Jets manage to beat the Coyotes... sort of closing the book and settling in with "our" team.

I don't know that all Jets fans feel the same way.

I'm going to be at the MTS Centre when the Coyotes come to Winnipeg in December (probably the only live game I'll be lucky enough to see this season), and I think it will be extremely satisfying to see the Jets mop the floor with them.

While I'm overjoyed we have a team again, that doesn't just erase 15 years of anger and bitterness toward Phoenix, especially considering the aggressive anti-Winnipeg attitude coming from a lot of fans down there when it looked like we might get the the original Jets back.

I don't think there will be a rivalry between the teams, because they play each other so infrequently, but I don't know that fans on either side are going to be able to keep quiet. The Internet may not be a very pleasant place on Jets vs. Yotes game days.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
But it would be a bit unnatural if Jets' fans didn't feel just a twinge of extra enthusiasm should the Jets manage to beat the Coyotes... sort of closing the book and settling in with "our" team.

That is understandable, but it would be more fitting if the Jets lost because, you know, they are the Jets after all...

Just kidding;)

Scottrocks58*

I don't know that all Jets fans feel the same way.

I'm going to be at the MTS Centre when the Coyotes come to Winnipeg in December (probably the only live game I'll be lucky enough to see this season), and I think it will be extremely satisfying to see the Jets mop the floor with them.

While I'm overjoyed we have a team again, that doesn't just erase 15 years of anger and bitterness toward Phoenix, especially considering the aggressive anti-Winnipeg attitude coming from a lot of fans down there when it looked like we might get the the original Jets back.

I don't think there will be a rivalry between the teams, because they play each other so infrequently, but I don't know that fans on either side are going to be able to keep quiet. The Internet may not be a very pleasant place on Jets vs. Yotes game days.

I'm sure that after this year there will only be a few in the crowd in Winnipeg who feel like yourself, and hardly any down in Phoenix as we think more about Detroit than any other team, as they have been the roadblock in our path for the past couple of years. Should Winnipeg develop into a Detroit, then we may eventually feel towards you as you feel towards us. Remember, no one down here even heard of Winnipeg before the Minnesota deal fell through and the old Jets owners showed up at our door step.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Irony - you has it.

Scottrocks58*

Irony - you has it.

There is a fine line between hypocracy and irony, my friend.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I dont know if Id be showing up at the job in a Jets jersey guys. Rumor has it Councilor Phil Lieberman's been working with Sherrif Joe Arpaio & his Posse' to introduce Anti-Hooliganism Legislation on this one... barbed wire & frost fencing, tear gas at the ready, dogs' patrolling the Toyota Club Seat Sections...

Last edited:

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I'm sure that after this year there will only be a few in the crowd in Winnipeg who feel like yourself, and hardly any down in Phoenix as we think more about Detroit than any other team, as they have been the roadblock in our path for the past couple of years. Should Winnipeg develop into a Detroit, then we may eventually feel towards you as you feel towards us. Remember, no one down here even heard of Winnipeg before the Minnesota deal fell through and the old Jets owners showed up at our door step.
Only a few Yotes haters in Winnipeg next year, really ? You seriously underestimate the hate some have for the Yotes here.

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
I dont know if Id be showing up at the job in a Jets jersey guys. Rumor has it Councilor Phil Lieberman's been working with Sherrif Joe Arpaio & his Posse' to introduce Anti-Hooliganism Legislation on this one... barbed wire & frost fencing, tear gas at the ready, dogs' patrolling the Toyota Club Seat Sections...

You forgot that it might make Little Logan cry :cry:

While we're way OT, how are ticket sales going for Saturday?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I doubt it will come to that, but I wouldn't be surprised if arena security isn't a little over zealous when it comes to Jet fans celebrations. They can be a little heavy-handed at times, which creats more issues sometimes than what is going on between the fans.
:laugh:Have they even played an away game yet? That's quite a rep they've earned already.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona

Somewhere between 1500 and 2000 left. I'm disappointed that it looks like it will not be a sellout. Should be around 16,000. I'd expect probably a couple thousand Jets fans will make the trip down. If it was the Red Wings or the Hawks for opening night and on a weekend, it would have been sold out by now.

Playing the Jets isn't really helping attendance down here. Too far to travel for most Jets fans, and they don't have a presence amoung the hockey fans in the Valley unlike several other teams that boost attendance (like the Wings, Hawks, Leafs, Habs, Rangers, Pens, Flyers and Nucks).

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
:laugh:Have they even played an away game yet? That's quite a rep they've earned already.

I meant the arena security is heavy handed, not Jets fans.... I've seen it personally when some good natured ribbing starts between Coyote fans and fans of another team. The arena security seems to go on red alert before the fans even get close to out of hand.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I meant the arena security is heavy handed, not Jets fans.... I've seen it personally when some good natured ribbing starts between Coyote fans and fans of another team. The arena security seems to go on red alert before the fans even get close to out of hand.
Ooops sorry, there goes my reading aptitude again.:laugh:

Scottrocks58*

As of yesterday, about 2000 left, give or take. Not OT in my opinion - ticket sales are what everyone on this board continually talks about.

I personally would rather see a fan of the visiting team in a seat than an empty one. The generation of kids who are growing up with hockey rinks and the Coyotes in Phoenix will make the place mostly hometown fans when they get of age. 'Till then, who cares?

wpgJetsfan

Dec 24, 2010
So I guess Westgate is now foreclosed? No one bought it from Auction.

It appears many Coyotes fans are blaming Eilman for that mess. But if you go to http://www.westgatecitycenter.com/explore-westgate/

You will notice that there are 20 open office buildings ready to be leased. Some of those office spaces are rather large. No wonder Eilman went bankrupt. He couldn't get businesses in there to pay for the extra developments.

So I guess the COG can't say that if the Coyotes go it will kill Westgate because Westgate is already foreclosed with the Coyotes still aroud.

These issues are probably another reason why potential owners do not want to pay with their own money or want a relocation clause. The Market and area is not stable and hasn't been for a few years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad