Phoenix XX: Two Weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec

Again??!

I dont believe it! For the 100 001st time in 3 years the goalposts have once again been moved to the other side of the field at the very last second!

What legal and financial requirements are they talking about? Why is the selling date for the bonds suddenly uncertain? Will this give the GI time to get an injunction and stop the sale? I dont get it!

What a joke! So here we go for another thread of waiting and broken deadlines! (and I approve the "For a few weeks more" thread title).

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
It sure looks like COG is scared ****less.

Despite Bettman saying there's no drop-dead date, you have to figure they'll draw a line in the sand eventually.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
oh man...i was so looking forward to this being over.....that sound you hear is mark chipman banging his forehead on his desk.

Or perhaps that instead is the sound of TNSE staffers dancing a jig?

If the bond sale is delayed, what are the odds that this is good news for Glendale?

Perhaps more shoes are soon about to drop.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The CoG better send some workers out to fix those rails ASAP, because that train Bettman was talking about; is looking like it is getting ready to jump the rails.

CHOO-CHOOO-CRASH!

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Hulsizer is likely asking for it to be delayed so that it doesn't take focus away from the trade deadline. Already showing what a great company man he is.

LT_Canadian

Jul 13, 2003
Thunder Bay ON Can
i wonder what the legal and financial requirements are

Some people have suggested that the COG can't sell the bonds without having some guarantees in place meaning knowing that MH & NHL deal is absolutely going to be sealed. If COG sold the bonds, GWI sued and then the NHL walked yikes. So I can see that lots needs to be done. I would think that paperwork is ready but certain things have to happen in a certain order for things to fall in place.

To me getting the bonds rated is kind of like being pre approved for a mortgage before making an offer on a house. Then after MH's offer is accepted by the BOG then the bonds would be sold. That's just my theory.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Remember folks, bad news is often announced late on Friday afternoons to avoid the weekday news cycle. Just sayin'.

Here's hoping that in hindsight today will perhaps mark the date of some resolution to this fiasco one way or another.

Of course, "bad news" depends upon ones definition of bad.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Then why is Elman so interested in the coyotes staying?

Sure, he's interested. But why was the COG unable to recruit Ellman into any substantial CFD contribution if the Coyotes are so critical? Do you remember all of the confident predictions from folks down Glendale way about how the Reinsdorf and IEH CFD plans would fly because Westgate businesses were desperate to keep the Coyotes? I recall some rather stern rebukes from folks down there when I and others had the temerity to question whether Westgate businesses would be willing to participate in a CFD that would provide such handsome sums to keep the Coyotes in Glendale.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Hulsizer is likely asking for it to be delayed so that it doesn't take focus away from the trade deadline. Already showing what a great company man he is.

Bonds won't go onsale until Feb 28th, trade deadline is Feb 28th. Did you mean he wanted it to coincide with the trade deadline?

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
The lease states the $97M is paid in equal monthly installments over 5 1/2 years. Works out to ~$1.5M per month. If it can clear the hurdle the management fee is reasonable and demonstrate the city pays on average ~$1.5M per month on Arena expenses (remember MH will take over all Arena operating expenses, meaning the city is relieved of that responsibility), that monthly payment of $1.5M is a wash.

You can try to wish away the issue by saying the management fee "is a wash" but that doesn't make it so. $1.5MM per month works out to $18MM per year. That's a very large sum. The real question is whether the fee is reasonable and fair consideration given what the city receives in return in terms of "direct" not indirect benefits. In order to determine that you'd have to look at what the city is bargaining for and compare it to other arena management arrangements for similar venues. I think that figure is going to be hard to justify. I would add that the city did not submit the arena management to any competitive bidding process.

GHOST

Niagara67

Jun 4, 2010
To me getting the bonds rated is kind of like being pre approved for a mortgage before making an offer on a house. Then after MH's offer is accepted by the BOG then the bonds would be sold. That's just my theory.

Not really - because when you are pre-approved for a mortgage, the bank is guaranteeing that they will give you $X. The rating of the bonds doesn't guarantee $ in MH's pocket; only the sale of the bonds will guarantee that.

Would you sell a house to someone whose bank doesn't actually have the mortgage money yet and can't really guarantee that they ever will?

(Actually - the whole analogy is weird because in this case someone else is getting a mortgage for you..to give to you to help you buy the house).

Edit : There must be a reason why it's February 2011 and the BOG has yet to officially approve Hulsizer. They've had several opportunities to. (Not sure, but I think even Balsillie was approved by the BOG relatively early in the Pittsburgh process.)

Last edited:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Some people have suggested that the COG can't sell the bonds without having some guarantees in place meaning knowing that MH & NHL deal is absolutely going to be sealed. If COG sold the bonds, GWI sued and then the NHL walked yikes. So I can see that lots needs to be done. I would think that paperwork is ready but certain things have to happen in a certain order for things to fall in place.

So I guess MH would have to be prepared to buy the team with his own money. If the bonds didn't sell after he was approved as the owner, how else would he pay for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad