Phoenix XX: Two Weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PitbulI

Dec 22, 2010
Being that we're now 10 days until the deal is complete and MH owns the Coyotes, there is still no news from COG?

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
:
Being that we're now 10 days until the deal is complete and MH owns the Coyotes, there is still no news from COG?

Yes the final deal was announced at the very end of the last thread now we have just moved on to talking about other things such as the weather.:laugh:

Last edited:

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
Night-time temperatures as low as 22 degrees are expected for metro Phoenix over the next two days, as a cold air mass from Canada moves into Arizona.

Sounds like a conspiracy

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Oh, same-old same-old.

Phil: There is no way that this thread is *ever* going to end as long as this groundhog keeps seeing his shadow. I don't see any other way out. He's got to be stopped. And I have to stop him.

groundhog_day.jpg

05-05-2009 Balsillie puts in $212.5 mil offer for the Coyotes
05-07-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix part II
05-18-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix part III
05-22-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix part IV
06-03-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix part V
06-09-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix Part VI
06-12-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix Part VII: I'm just waitin' on a judge
06-16-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix Part VIII: It's dead, Jim
06-24-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix Part IX: 'Dorf on Hockey
07-25-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part X: The Truth? You Can't Handle The Truth!
08-03-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XI: A Fistful of Dollars?
08-07-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XII: For a Few Dollars More
08-12-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XIII: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
08-21-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XIV: The Wrath of Baum
08-27-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XV - SITREP: SNAFU
09-02-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XVI: Barbarian at the Gate
09-08-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XVII: Wake Me Up When September Ends
09-10-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XVIII: Is that a pale horse in the distance?
09-12-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy Part XIX: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Baum
09-21-2009 Phoenix Bankruptcy Part XX: There Will Be Baum
09-28-2009Phoenix Bankruptcy Part XXI: 2009 -- A Sports Odyssey
10-26-2009 Phoenix Bankruptcy Part XXII: Long and winding road

Followed up by the ever popular:

11-24-2009 Keeping up with potential owners for NHL Phoenix Coyotes (UPD: Ice Edge signs LOI)
03-14-2010 Part II. Potential owners of NHL's Phoenix Coyotes
03-26-2010 Part III. Prospective Owners - Phoenix Coyotes (UPD Lease vote 4/13; IEH signs MOU)
04-10-2010 Part IV Phoenix Coyotes post bankrtuptcy; UPD COG approves Reinsdorf MOU, not IEH MOU
05-02-2010 Part V Phoenix Coyotes post bankruptcy UPD Reinsdorf out? IEH back in? else Winnipeg?
05-11-2010 Part VI Phoenix Coyotes post bankruptcy
05-23-2010 Part VII Phoenix Coyotes post bankrtuptcy
06-07-2010 Part VIII: Phoenix Coyotes Post-bankrtuptcy
06-07-2010 Part VIII: Phoenix Coyotes Post-bankrtuptcy
06-22-2010 Part IX: Phoenix Coyotes Post-bankruptcy UPD: Pres Moss fired 6/30 with IEH input
07-26-2010 Part X: Phoenix Coyotes - Between Scylla and Charybdis
08-27-2010 Part XI: Phoenix Coyotes -- Greetings, Starfighter, You have been selected ...
09-16-2010 Part XII: Phx Coyotes - Still haven't found what I'm looking for
10-12-2010 Part XIII: Phoenix Coyotes - The Final Cut?
10-27-2010 Part XIV: Phoenix Coyotes - To Infinity And Beyond....
12-05-2010 Part XV: Phoenix - the battle of evermore
12-14-2010 Part XVI: Phoenix -- Money for Nothing
12-20-2010 Part XVII: Phoenix -- Thread Title Available For Lease
01-09-2011 Part XVIII: Phoenix -- Imminence Front
01-24-2011 Phoenix XIXth: Nervous Breakdown
02-02-2011 Phoenix XX: Two weeks

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
If the deal falls apart, as it now appears closer to doing, I'm extremely curious if Glendale will tee up a lawsuit for specific performance/damages/etc.

I don't see it as a successful claim but I would rather enjoy watching Glendale turn on the NHL.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
If the deal falls apart, as it now appears closer to doing, I'm extremely curious if Glendale will tee up a lawsuit for specific performance/damages/etc.

I don't see it as a successful claim but I would rather enjoy watching Glendale turn on the NHL.

That would be awesome. They could sue the IEH guys as well, but I doubt they would ever collect any damages if awarded.

I arrived too late, I was going to suggest "Hindsight is XX - XX" for a thread title.

Fugu

next thread HAS to be PHOENIX XXI: Two Weeks - Part Deux

cuz, you know...

:p:

Sorry for all the levity, Yotes fans. They're just giving us too much irresistible fodder. :(

Kdb suggests we blame it on the ground hog, but that would make him a scapegoat. Bad form.

@CF. What do you see as the grounds for a suit by COG? I think you mentioned it a few hundred posts ago.

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
That would be awesome. They could sue the IEH guys as well, but I doubt they would ever collect any damages if awarded.

I arrived too late, I was going to suggest "Hindsight is XX - XX" for a thread title.

We can use that title if this thread goes another 9 years (2020).:laugh:

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
They should be giving out those snugglies tonight. It could be a sellout as they have hockey weather down in the desert.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/artic...phoenix-weather-freeze-warning-abrk01-ON.html

I hope the weather doesn't keep the fans from attending the game tonight.:naughty:

In all seriousness does anyone else find it strange that the COG has issued only a few one line statements from their spokesperson and the statement directed at Goldwater and essence have remained very quiet since December 14. Why no TV, radio or newspaper interviews singing the praises of the Coyotes remaining in Glendale. Politicians love to take credit for "making a difference". Conversely neither Liebermann or Alvarez has spoken out publicly against the deal with Mr. Hulsizer.

This to me seems to be the opposite of transparent government and seems to consist wholly of secret backroom planning.

Is it at all possible that the deal may be in some real trouble. In addition, if the deal with Mr. Hulsizer was to not work out and the NHL draws on the $25 million to cover this years losses could that be an illegal gift? If it is clearly in violation of the Arizona gift clause to give the NHL $25 million to fund losses directly could the Mayor and council have knowlingly signed a contract last June with the NHL that breaks state law. What could the repurcussions of that be?

At this point in the season would it be safe to say the Coyotes owe some serious $$$$$ to some of their accounts. Airlines, hotels etc... At what point in time will those companies demand payment? Could it be two weeks?

PitbulI

Dec 22, 2010
If the deal falls through and TNSE does buy the team and moves them back to Winnipeg. The next thread would have to be titled

XXI - That's it, Back to Winnipeg!

I remember that from an old Simpsons episode.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
@CF. What do you see as the grounds for a suit by COG? I think you mentioned it a few hundred posts ago.

In short (ie without going back to the transcripts or pulling up the agreements)

During the bankruptcy proceeding, Glendale testified that they did not support the Balsillie bid because it contemplated immediate relocation. Glendale backed the NHL bid because while it did contemplate relocation, it would only be if Glendale failed to secure a local buyer. Glendale indicated their support of the NHL bid was not a waiver of any of their rights to damages contained in the AMULA.

The temporary lease between the NHL and Glendale contains language indicating that Glendale reserved all of it's rights to damages as per the original AMULA.

The reason I don't believe Glendale would be able to succeed in any claim is Judge Baum put the question directly to Glendale's counsel (paraphrasing) "You do understand that if you fully support the NHL bid and things go sideways, you cannot stop them from relocating free and clear?" Glendale: "We fully support it!"

I realize that I should go back and pull the actual transcripts and cite the actual sections of the agreements but really, by the time I made the effort to do that, the two weeks would be up. :sarcasm:

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
I hope the weather doesn't keep the fans from attending the game tonight.:naughty:

In all seriousness does anyone else find it strange that the COG has issued only a few one line statements from their spokesperson and the statement directed at Goldwater and essence have remained very quiet since December 14. Why no TV, radio or newspaper interviews singing the praises of the Coyotes remaining in Glendale. Politicians love to take credit for "making a difference". Conversely neither Liebermann or Alvarez has spoken out publicly against the deal with Mr. Hulsizer.

This to me seems to be the opposite of transparent government and seems to consist wholly of secret backroom planning.

Is it at all possible that the deal may be in some real trouble. In addition, if the deal with Mr. Hulsizer was to not work out and the NHL draws on the $25 million to cover this years losses could that be an illegal gift? If it is clearly in violation of the Arizona gift clause to give the NHL $25 million to fund losses directly could the Mayor and council have knowlingly signed a contract last June with the NHL that breaks state law. What could the repurcussions of that be?

At this point in the season would it be safe to say the Coyotes owe some serious $$$$$ to some of their accounts. Airlines, hotels etc... At what point in time will those companies demand payment? Could it be two weeks?

The CoG is on the hook for up to 25 million. The NHL won't touch that money until this deal has 0% chance of success. CoG isn't going to say anything until this deal has 0% chance of success or they have it complete. I'm sure the NHL is paying the accounts (they own the team and wouldn't like bad press about not paying their bills).
If Goldwater or anyone was going to sue about the 25 million they would of done so last summer. Not saying it's not against the gift clause but what can be gained if the team is leaving.
This story isn't over but the longer it goes the less chance of it ending well for the Coyotes in my opinion.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
Phil: There is no way that this thread is *ever* going to end as long as this groundhog keeps seeing his shadow. I don't see any other way out. He's got to be stopped. And I have to stop him.

It's definitely fitting that the new thread started on Groundhog Day.

"seems"? Really?

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
In all seriousness does anyone else find it strange that the COG has issued only a few one line statements from their spokesperson and the statement directed at Goldwater and essence have remained very quiet since December 14.

I know we would all like someone to say something, but I would rather have the CoG keep quite then keep sending out those poor PR attempts that they were getting the Arizona Republic to print.

Dado

Already looking forward to the sequel "Two More Weeks"

Followed by "A Purchase For All Seasons" and "Same Time Next Year"

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
If the deal falls apart, as it now appears closer to doing, I'm extremely curious if Glendale will tee up a lawsuit for specific performance/damages/etc.....I don't see it as a successful claim but I would rather enjoy watching Glendale turn on the NHL.

Have you seen anything in the interim lease & or the $25M agreement between the COG/NHL with clauses that negate such a possibility?. Just have to believe the league would've buried that somewhere in the fine print, possibly written in Summarian, to wit the COG (Tindall, Beasley?) simply signed off-on without studyin' much in their haste to extend negotiations beyond last May. It would be unlike the NHL not to do so no?. My guess is that should the deal collapse, the COG's fingers will be pointing at the GWI, a convenient scapegoat. I cant imagine them wanting to get into a p........g contest with the NHL in open court.

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
If the deal falls through and TNSE does buy the team and moves them back to Winnipeg. The next thread would have to be titled

XXI - That's it, Back to Winnipeg!

I remember that from an old Simpsons episode.

Yes someone posted that video a few threads back (very funny).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad