Phoenix XLVIII: Of Mice and Lieberman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Whoever the second group is, the deal wont fly with Glendale as reported earlier; Jamison or bust:

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/artic...-phoenix-coyotes-buyer-brk.html#ixzz1totfHAqg

Now I'm almost 100% sure the second party is Reinsdorf. Isn't the reason COG rejected his bid the first time (around March/April 2010) because he supposedly wanted a very short term lease before being allowed to move the team to a different city, speculated to be Las Vegas at the time?

Yep. The NHL's escape plan just played out IMO - GJ will announce shortly that he cannot secure the financing for the purchase within the NHL's soon-to-be-set deadline, which will bring group #2 led by Reinsdorf to the front.

As stated, Glendale will not deal with Jerry, and will throw any new short-term lease deal out the window - the league then relocates the Coyotes and blames the CoG for being unable to complete a deal with the NHL's willing & potential buyer.

Ol' Gary knows that if GJ actually comes up with the money, the subsidized lease deal with Glendale is gonna get the CoG sued, delaying/blocking the sale & forcing the league to look elsewhere for a buyer - blaming GWI for the failed sale.

While all along PKP has been readying his ducks & waiting - ready to pounce w/ BOG support for a quick an painless sale. All the while Gary & Bill can still maintain that they "Did their best" to save the 'Yotes, by making someone else their willing/unwilling Patsy(s).

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Yep. The NHL's escape plan just played out IMO - GJ will announce shortly that he cannot secure the financing for the purchase within the NHL's soon-to-be-set deadline, which will bring group #2 led by Reinsdorf to the front.

The Glendale City Council has been briefed privately this week on the Phoenix Coyotes sale, including further assurances that a group led by Greg Jamison has the money in place to buy the team and keep hockey in Arizona.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2012/05/02/jamison-bid-to-buy-phoenix-coyotes-on.html

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
Folding the team on the eve of CBA negotiations would be an interesting strategy. I believe that's called "restructuring on the way to the bargaining table" and not an altogether wacky idea in some industries.

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
"deep pocketed"

The most meaningless words used in the last 3 years in regards to the Coyotes.

Sure, maybe all the people looking at buying the Coyotes have "deep pockets", but by the looks of things those pockets are welded shut.

Well, I did a little more sleuthing. I found one of my sources "deep pocketed" friends, it doesn't look hopeful to me.

400_F_5497108_QIbpm0sVFNQCqmKa1ur9QdllkQh3iyez.jpg

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
The Glendale City Council has been briefed privately this week on the Phoenix Coyotes sale, including further assurances that a group led by Greg Jamison has the money in place to buy the team and keep hockey in Arizona.

Sunnucks sources and articles have proven to be some of the most unreliable information presented in this saga. Not sure why anyone would quote a Sunnucks article for anything other than a laugh.

Here are some recent lowlights:
4/11/12: Jamison will have a lease deal in the next few weeks.
4/10/12: Jim Treliving and George Melville to purchase Coyotes.
4/4/12: Jamison group will buy the arena.

...which sound a lot like these lowlights:
2/24/12: Coyotes sale to be made official next week.
2/22/12: Coyotes sale to be announced after team's road trip.
2/21/12: Finishing touches being put on Jamison deal.

...which sound a lot like all his other misfires.

Sunnucks could have his own KDB roman numeral thread for all of his erroneous reports. You might consider finding a new source for information.

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
Sunnucks sources and articles have proven to be some of the most unreliable information presented in this saga. Not sure why anyone would quote a Sunnucks article for anything other than a laugh.

Here are some recent lowlights:
4/11/12: Jamison will have a lease deal in the next few weeks.
4/10/12: Jim Treliving and George Melville to purchase Coyotes.
4/4/12: Jamison group will buy the arena.

...which sound a lot like these lowlights:
2/24/12: Coyotes sale to be made official next week.
2/22/12: Coyotes sale to be announced after team's road trip.
2/21/12: Finishing touches being put on Jamison deal.

...which sound a lot like all his other misfires.

Sunnucks could have his own KDB roman numeral thread for all of his erroneous reports. You might consider finding a new source for information.

I thought we were his source?:naughty::deadhorse

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
i fully get why the nhl wants to stay in phoenix, but i also don't get how they bailed so quickly out of atlanta, and this drama is still going on even 3 years later, although personally despite city and other deadlines, i think the deadline for bettman is before he starts negotiating the CBA, as the that's more important than the fate of a single team

ASG had been looking for cash for a while, it just wasn't public, until after they bought out the partners that were suing them. In the summer of 2010 I was partner of a 2 person finance firm in Cleveland and even I got a call about it (basically a friend knew a guy who knew a guy who knew someone at ASG called me and asked if I knew anyone who would invest). Now I am not making myself out to be some high-profile guy that gets to work on big important deals. Quite the opposite. I was a guy who was doing contract work with a friend while we were out of work. So they had to be pretty desperate if their deal was coming to me.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
i fully get why the nhl wants to stay in phoenix, but i also don't get how they bailed so quickly out of atlanta, and this drama is still going on even 3 years later, although personally despite city and other deadlines, i think the deadline for bettman is before he starts negotiating the CBA, as the that's more important than the fate of a single team

The biggest reason the NHL did not stay in Atlanta was because no one wanted to buy the entire package and without the entire package, the team would be a third rate tenant in the arena, after the Hawks and all other events, with really only ticket sales for their revenue stream.

Phoenix is different in that they are primary in the arena and arena managers. I understand Moyes was losing money but I think some of that was accounting gymnastics. I think if you had some who was a professional in arena management, unlike all the Yotes owners to date, there would be a different story in Glendale.

Folding the team on the eve of CBA negotiations would be an interesting strategy. I believe that's called "restructuring on the way to the bargaining table" and not an altogether wacky idea in some industries.

Interesting concept but highly unlikely. The NHL knows Fehr and the one thing the NHL was not afraid to do was to skip an entire season so the players cannot dictate terms or hold a good bargaining position. Remember when the baseball players struck during the season and there was no world series? Starting the season gave the players the chance to get the upper hand. NHL will not do that.

I also think that the NHL does not want to make too much of an issue of the CBA and cause a lockout either. Contraction would be done for spite instead of it being done to make a point.

pacerhimself

Mar 17, 2012
A beaver farts in northern Quebec:

"It's a sign that the Coyotes are done and moving to Quebec City!"

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I thought we were his source?:naughty::deadhorse

IIRC, Sunnucks only started reporting on this story once Ice Edge became his primary source. I don't remember him publishing any articles (at least none containing the words "according to sources") regarding Balsillie and the Coyotes BK back in the day. Back then, it was mainly Sanders, Resnik, Wong and a few others who no longer report on the story daily that would provide updates.

Once Ice Edge dropped out of the picture, he became desperate to find a new source and voila, he discovered our threads on the BoH board. All of a sudden, a slight pause by Jim Treliving during an interview with George Strombolopolous on CBC morphed into "An ownership group lead by Canadian Businessman Jim Treliving are in the running to by the Phoenix Coyotes and keep them in Phoenix..."

I was really hoping he would buy that rumor that Al Iafrate was interested in buying the team ;)

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County

"I'm a firm believer in the product," he said. "The one thing the Phoenix Coyotes need is an owner."

Recently, the Glendale City Council instructed Beasley to halt negotiations with another group interested in buying the team in favor of continuing talks with Jamison. NHL officials have also said they're working with Jamison.

Jamison became known for turning the financially struggling team around.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarep...-coyotes-ownership-jamison.html#ixzz1tq8BwAe6

not-listening.jpg

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
Well, we could make up a potential new owner interesting in purchasing the team and see if Sunnucks bites again :P

Last edited:

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA

- Sunnucks

It doesn't take much effort to determine that Sunnucks is representing that he has a source in Glendale City Hall, either from the City Manager's Office or from the Council itself.

Let's look at the suspects:

Beasley
I'm ruling him out because he is incapable of communicating a coherent thought.

Skeete
I don't think Sunnucks could get Skeete's comments translated into English before publishing cutoff time.

Scruggs
Would likely mistake Sunnucks as a staffer and keep asking him to fetch her more coffee.

Knaack
Does not have time to talk to Sunnucks as she has to get all the way back to 1981 to see her hair stylist.

Martinez
Would tell Sunnucks that the Manager's office has all the information and he is only on the Council to vote "aye" on whatever they bring him.

Clark
Was passed out from her morning whiskey binge.

That leaves...
Phil Lieberman
It's so obvious now. That notorious flip-flopper (and #1 Logan fan) Lieberman rises from his catatonic slumber and gives Sunnucks the news of the day.

Einstein Theory

Dec 22, 2010
"I'm a firm believer in the product," he said. "The one thing the Phoenix Coyotes need is an owner."

Recently, the Glendale City Council instructed Beasley to halt negotiations with another group interested in buying the team in favor of continuing talks with Jamison. NHL officials have also said they're working with Jamison.

Jamison became known for turning the financially struggling team around.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarep...-coyotes-ownership-jamison.html#ixzz1tq8BwAe6

I seem to recall one of the former Ice Edge guys tweeting recently that Ice Edge was back in the picture. Is this the illusive second party? If so, its more of a circus than a party :sarcasm:

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Why do people keep bringing up Reinsdorf when every single time he's looked at the Yotes he always scurries away from all the red ink without looking back?

Awesome Sauce

Feb 4, 2011
Vancouver Island
As the whole saga seems to be dying down it's kind of hilarious to be seeing a lot of the same characters and stories from the past popping up again. It's kind of like how TV shows treat the last few episodes before a series finale... Not that I am comparing this saga to a dramatized story or anything :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad