Phoenix XLVIII: Of Mice and Lieberman

Status
Not open for further replies.

checkerdome

Oct 31, 2006
It doesn't.

To be perfectly honest the only reason I think the NHL has kept Phoenix on life support is because they are waiting on Seattle and don't see another small canadian market as a palatable result to the Phoenix saga.

With an out clause you give investors the carrot of being ble to move to a new market like seattle. Those investors may be wanting to sell immediately to local ownership in Seattle after a year or two and get a large return on there investment. They also have 5 years to make it successful in Glendale. Kinda win win for NH of L.

Regardless, an out clause all but kills the team going to Quebec. PKP will be the owners of a Quebec team, not Jamison.

That's simply speculation on your part though.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...-announce-new-owners-for-phoenix-coyotes?bn=1

A slightly different perspective on this situation,though nothing in this article is staggeringly new or surpising to read.

Wow. What the heck happened to my old hometowns main newspaper, the Toronto Star?... this reporter, Mike Zwoliniski, frames his article on the premise that a deals actually done, hence Quebec & Markham now have to wait nervously for the next troubled franchise to implode. He then names Florida, without backing that up whatsoever because he cant', then speculates about New Jersey. And just to make sure the reader can pretty much dismiss his every word, he calls the Goldwater Institute "Goldman", I guess just to underscore his complete & utter lack of knowledge on, well, just about everything. Little wonder LeafNation is always in such a palather in that city. Where do they find these brainiacs'?. The Star used to have really solid sports & particularly hockey reporting, including the business side of things.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
That's simply speculation on your part though.

Lol, wow, lets just say that opinion isn't considered optimistic amongst my friends in Glendale.

wow.

And yeah, if an owner showed up with a team in KC tomorrow and said let me rent your arena they would be pretty damn happy [mod].

Last edited by a moderator:

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Lol, wow, lets just say that opinion isn't considered optimistic amongst my friends in Glendale.

wow.

And yeah, if an owner showed up with a team in KC tomorrow and said let me rent your arena they would be pretty damn happy.

OK you have no idea.

So, we all know you don't know what you are talking about.

AEG is running the Sprint center. This arena have NO sports team AT ALL and AEG have stated they have STRICLY no interest in pro sports there, as they are paying the city of KC millions as dividends.

Before posting here, my neighbour from the south, make sure you know what you are doing.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
OK you have no idea.

So, we all know you don't know what you are talking about.

AEG is running the Sprint center. This arena have NO sports team AT ALL and AEG have stated they have STRICLY no interest in pro sports there, as they are paying the city of KC millions as dividends.

Before posting here, my neighbour from the south, make sure you know what you are doing.

Umm yeah, I knew that AEG is running the ARENA (edit), AEG can't OWN another team.

They'd be more than happy to have a renter, but they've stated they're doing quite well without a tennant.

The City of Kansas would be more than happy to have NHL hockey in town.

Lol, good "gotcha" question. If an NHL team showed up at Sprint Center wanting to be a tennant whoever working at AEG that said no would be fired and run out of town.

MOD

Regardless, I said it was just my theory, and KC was one of two possible locations I threw in a post. The primary one being Seattle.

I believe the NHL is trying to time this move from Glendale to end up in Seattle or another market of their choosing [mod] I sure hope not as I love the yotes.

jetsfan88

Apr 5, 2012
Well I go off reports and have not found one reputable site that believes the team is leaving after yesterdays presser. So with that logic, I refuse to accept that I did not win the mega millions;)

There was not one reputable report of Atlanta to Winnipeg either. Actually quite the contrary with all the "Balkan" talk.

The media reports what the NHL wants and tells them to report. End of Story. You can hang on everyword that is said, but at the end of the day its all propaganda.

Again last nights big presser was amounted nothing. Got the coyotes fans excited over what was esentially nothing and got the Qubec supporters all down.

Desired effect achieved.

We went through all of this last year in anticipation of the NHL'S return to Winnipeg. I took many knocks for posting things contrary to what the media was saying, and for contradicting what Darren Ford was at times saying.

Dont you think if the NHL wanted a sale to succeed one would have already? Do you not think the leagues owners could not instruct betman to lower the price and offer a financing type of deal to the prospective buyer allowing them to defer some payments for the team until after the teams turn around? They have carried it this long.

Why is it the NHL has allowed a city to be basically put on the hook? A city located in a state that's constitution does not allow for such subsidies?

Anyone who thinks a GWI challange will not be made is nuts. At very least they will make a succesful arguement the arena management should be put up for bids. What will happen when companies start coming in at 6-8 million?

The ONLY reason this is still going on is because the COG built the arena and just up and moving would not set a good precedent for the future when the NHL asks a community for new digs.

There is lots of talk about how hard they are working for a resolution that sees the team stay but really what is the NHL really doing to help other than say, you guys work it out. Give us our money.

checkerdome

Oct 31, 2006

Without listening, I'm pretty sure Mr.Jamison said:

1) I am confident and optimistic that a deal to keep the Coyotes in Glendale can be reached.

2) I'm sure hockey can be successful and profitable in Glendale.

3) I'm not in a position to reveal the names of any of my investors or any specifics of a potential deal.

4) There are no timelines for the completion of an agreement.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Umm yeah, I knew that AEG is running the ARENA (edit), AEG can't OWN another team.

They'd be more than happy to have a renter, but they've stated they're doing quite well without a tennant.

Lol, good "gotcha" question. If an NHL team showed up at Sprint Center wanting to be a tennant whoever working at AEG that said no would be fired and run out of town.

MOD

Regardless, I said it was just my theory, and KC was one of two possible locations. The primary one being Seattle.

I believe the NHL is trying to time this move from Glendale to end up in Seattle or another market of their choosing that doesn't rhyme with Shmushmec. I sure hope not as I love the yotes.

No need to reply, [mod] doing just fine, as opposed to many people blinded by a "tentative" agreement press point held on may 7th!

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011

MOD

Regardless, I said it was just my theory, and KC was one of two possible locations. The primary one being Seattle.

I believe the NHL is trying to time this move from Glendale to end up in Seattle or another market of their choosing that doesn't rhyme with Shmushmec. I sure hope not as I love the yotes.

Doc,
I haven't posted here for a long time. However, I would have to disagree with your thoughts about Kansas City. AEG is managing the arena, as has been agreed by all parties.

However, an NHL or NBA tenant would require favorable status (I am using that to indicate things like naming rights, use of the facility without a per night rental, etc). And, actually, it has been mentioned several times on this board that the city of KC does not want to give those perks. The city makes more money without a team as a main tenant than they could if they had one.

I am not meaning to flame or anything like that. Rather, I simply want to add that this seems to be the way KC is thinking about their arena right now.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Actually Qc, thats not altogether accurate. AEG as you know is Lieweke & the LA Kings, he who heads up the NHL Relocation & Expansion Committee. Both the NBA & the NHL have wanted to put teams into the Sprint, Lieweke beating the bushes to try & find a willing owner. Problem is the cities administration. Mayor Sly James letting it be known that so long as he's in charge, forgetabout sweetheart deals, subsidies of anykind, and youd better be a consistent winner on the court or ice because if not, unlikely people will support your franchise. In other words, rolled up the red carpet after several years of trying to land a team, the only people willing coming at him with their hands out looking for publicly subsidized perks. Needless to say, his position has engendered a great deal of backlash amongst his constituents, though to date, he's stuck to his guns and would rather live with a modest profit than incur losses, the economy not exactly robust in Kansas City even in the best of times. Fans on the whole have turned their venom on the NBA/NHL, as they too fully expected to have been awarded or landed a team long since, the very reason the building was put up in the first place.

Cryogenic Man

Mar 6, 2012
Coyotes fans and Nordiques fans should relax.

First things first. I'm hearing all this boulechit about a public endorsement of Greg Jamison. Well you're going to have to excuse me, but how is what was said at yesterday's presser any different from Bill Daly saying repeatedly ''We have confidence in Jamison and we wish him to stay the course?''. There is none. Therefore the message remains the same. It's not because Bettman said it that it gives it any more credibility from Bill Daly's statements.

Now,Let me tell why there was that press conference yesterday. Councilwoman Clark let the cat out of the bag. She said that there would be no vote tonight because ''The NHL has yet to approve Jamison''. Funny thing, one day before their meeting, Bettman shows up and wouldn't you know it? he pats Jamison on the back for all to see.

(but it didn't help because there is still no vote tonight)

2nd, I really don't think Jamison will have an out clause because the city of Glendale refused the seemingly other 2 bids for the team due to the fact that they had 5 year out clauses.

(Edit: Just heard on the Roc and Manuch show that his potential out clause is beyond 10 years.)

So Coyotes fans? here's what you've won. The same hope you've been clinging on to for 3 years. Sorry.

Quebec fans? here's what you've lost. Nothing.

So both you fan bases have to relax.

Last edited:

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Doc,
I haven't posted here for a long time. However, I would have to disagree with your thoughts about Kansas City. AEG is managing the arena, as has been agreed by all parties.

However, an NHL or NBA tenant would require favorable status (I am using that to indicate things like naming rights, use of the facility without a per night rental, etc). And, actually, it has been mentioned several times on this board that the city of KC does not want to give those perks. The city makes more money without a team as a main tenant than they could if they had one.

I am not meaning to flame or anything like that. Rather, I simply want to add that this seems to be the way KC is thinking about their arena right now.

Yes, I am aware of this, nothing I stated is to the contrary minus the bolded, not sure this has or can be proven. There has really been no NHL team knocking on the KC door yet. (outside of Pitts threat)

Last edited:

jetsfan88

Apr 5, 2012
Coyotes fans and Nordiques fans should relax.

First things first. I'm hearing all this boulechit about a public endorsement of Greg Jamison. Well you're going to have to excuse me, but how is what was said at yesterday's presser any different from Bill Daly saying repeatedly ''We have confidence in Jamison and we wish him to stay the course?''. There is none. Therefore the message remains the same. It's not because Bettman said it that it gives it any more credibility from Bill Daly's statements.

Let me tell why there was that press conference yesterday. Councilwoman Clark let the cat out of the bag. She said that there would be no vote tonight because ''The NHL has yet to approve Jamison''. Funny thing, one day before their meeting, Bettman shows up and wouldn't you know it? he pats Jamison on the back for all to see.

2nd, I really don't think Jamison will have an out clause because the city of Glendale refused the seemingly other 2 bids for the team due to the fact that they had 5 year out clauses.So Coyotes fans? here's what you've won. The same hope you've been clinging on to for 3 years. Sorry.

Quebec fans? here's what you've lost. Nothing.

So both you fan bases have to relax.

Can anyone guess why the arena management fee drops to 10 million after 5 years?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
GJ "rather than concentrate on one obstacle there could be many others"

Wonderful. He who see's nothing but obstacles loses sight of the goal. Back to school for you young Gregory. Little wonder its taking him so long to cobble together investors with that kind of thought process.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
There was not one reputable report of Atlanta to Winnipeg either. Actually quite the contrary with all the "Balkan" talk.

The media reports what the NHL wants and tells them to report. End of Story. You can hang on everyword that is said, but at the end of the day its all propaganda.

Again last nights big presser was amounted nothing. Got the coyotes fans excited over what was esentially nothing and got the Qubec supporters all down.

Desired effect achieved.

We went through all of this last year in anticipation of the NHL'S return to Winnipeg. I took many knocks for posting things contrary to what the media was saying, and for contradicting what Darren Ford was at times saying.

Dont you think if the NHL wanted a sale to succeed one would have already? Do you not think the leagues owners could not instruct betman to lower the price and offer a financing type of deal to the prospective buyer allowing them to defer some payments for the team until after the teams turn around? They have carried it this long.

Why is it the NHL has allowed a city to be basically put on the hook? A city located in a state that's constitution does not allow for such subsidies?

Anyone who thinks a GWI challange will not be made is nuts. At very least they will make a succesful arguement the arena management should be put up for bids. What will happen when companies start coming in at 6-8 million?

The ONLY reason this is still going on is because the COG built the arena and just up and moving would not set a good precedent for the future when the NHL asks a community for new digs.

There is lots of talk about how hard they are working for a resolution that sees the team stay but really what is the NHL really doing to help other than say, you guys work it out. Give us our money.

Due to the nature of this deal it is a grey area regarding whether this would need to be tendered out. There have been many compelling legal arguments on why it does not require tendering.

I believe GWI will come forward with sabres rattling when they finally get to see the deal. The sabre rattling may last long enough to scuttle any deal and send the Coyotes packing.

As you know, the NHL will not own this team for another season.

I am still not convinced GJ even has the investors. smoke and mirrors all of it and most media outlets can't see the trees for all the smoke.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I think youre seeing the situation in Igloo tinted glasses.

:shakehead:shakehead

Is that really necessary?

We know Gary and most Americans would prefer the Yotes relocate to an American city (if they were to move) over a Canadian one.

Cryogenic Man

Mar 6, 2012
Can anyone guess why the arena management fee drops to 10 million after 5 years?

Actually, from what I have, the AMF drops to $10M only after year 8. It's 17-20-20-20-15-15-15-15 and then 10 till the end. That's Beasley's numbers as given to the CoG a month ago.

Last edited:

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010

We know Gary and most Americans would prefer the Yotes relocate to an American city (if they were to move) over a Canadian one.

igloo is the nordique logo = said poster had a nordique avatar.

Like I said, I believe the NHL doesn't want another small market canadian team, I got nothing against small market canada. I live in small market canada.

jetsfan88

Apr 5, 2012

You really believe that? Especially after the Jets just turned revenue upwards of $50 Million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad