Phoenix XCIX: "I Got 99 Problems, But A Lease Ain’t Oneâ€

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Heh, this saga has already gone on for 4 years and yet you think that it's on it's last legs now that the ownership and lease are done? I have to respectfully disagree.

I agree to disagree that this sage is over... :sarcasm:

Just like a Hollywood movie franchise, this franchise will have many sequels...

3qzdnq.jpg

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Should all these pages be forgot
and never brought back to life?
Should old exchanges be forgot
and auld lang syne?

For auld lang syne, my friends
for auld lang syne
we'll take a cup o' Stanley yet
for auld lang syne

And surely you’ll buy your parking pass
and surely I’ll buy mine
And we'll take a cup o’ Stanley yet
for auld lang syne

We too have run about the docs
and picked apart many a time
But we’ve wandered many a weary thread
since auld lang syne

We too have saddled the team
from morning sun till dine
But posts between us broad have roared
since auld lang syne

And here’s a hand, my trusty friends
And give us a hand o’ thine
And we’ll take a right goodwill draught
for auld lang syne

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
... ya, the Megathreads blessedly winding down, though the show in Glendale certainly isnt over. Just had their contract renewed for another 5yrs. Best way to look at this I figure is that whats past is merely the prequel to the sequel to the prologue, and thats still being written & cast. So far Lawyer Tindal appears to have been given a part. Should be interesting to watch, see how they perform. And of course when something major or interesting does develop, we'll all be here to discuss it, just in more of a Readers Digest format.

enarwpg

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Un-stickied!? Ye gods! What is this forum coming to?

Well, congratulations to those who stuck this thing out beginning to end. I doubt there is ever an HF saga quite like this one again... and if there is, let's hope it's not for a long time.

Special congrats to the Coyotes fans who are getting the last laugh after all :)

Bets on who gets post #1,000

I'm going with Killion..... :nod:

post_no_1000.jpg

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Heh, this saga has already gone on for 4 years and yet you think that it's on it's last legs now that the ownership and lease are done? I have to respectfully disagree.

I wasn't clear - my mistake.

What I meant to say was that this saga will inevitably end with the Coyotes franchise being moved at some point. Sure, they have a few years to operate with an incredible credit line. But once that runs out - the end will come.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
yeah this will be a sad thread to see go. There isn't much up top on the sticky section. I have a feeling we'll get the band back together soon.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
... ya, the Megathreads blessedly winding down, though the show in Glendale certainly isnt over. Just had their contract renewed for another 5yrs. Best way to look at this I figure is that whats past is merely the prequel to the sequel to the prologue, and thats still being written & cast. So far Lawyer Tindal appears to have been given a part. Should be interesting to watch, see how they perform. And of course when something major or interesting does develop, we'll all be here to discuss it, just in more of a Readers Digest format.

But K, you forgot to mention the Executive Producer of the charade to end all charades, none other than the Commish himself. For without his unfailing leadership and deception the show would not have gone on. So lets all take a seat, the curtain is about to come up and with it the show will go on.

I honestly believe the best is yet to come, the fundamentals are setting up perfectly for the greatest comi-tragedy ever written. Finances will always be the dominating theme, we have the unveiling of the fraud and comical misdeeds of the Council members themselves. the former actors are jealous and re-entering the playhouse, casting themselves as the bereaved. Oh the story line is just cueing up for some fascinating twists and turns. Imagine the dismay amongst the investors and Lord Gosbee, when the carnival barker (leblanc) announces the previous nights attendance as 7,200 and how proud they are of such progress.

Really, the acts remain basically the same it is just the actors who have changed. The parking charges may seem trivial and petty to some, but they will dominate a number of acts as the patrons scream, "rip off" and display their displeasure by not attending. The Council and ownership will huddle and determine that they must rescind a critical piece of the AMF just as the numbers begin to tumble.

Fallenone

Mar 29, 2012
Ok I'm going to ask again is there anyone here that doesn't pay for parking when they go to and NHL game???? As Far as the Coyotes go. Yes it a new thing. Will it drive some away??? Maybe a few. But as a Sports Fan. I pay to park when I go to the D-Backs Cards ASU. I hate Basketball. But if I went I'd pay for the Suns. I would pay to park when I went to Bruins Red Sox and Patriot Game. Also for Tampa Bay Lightning games.
I was shocked went I pulled in the lot and no one was there to take my money to Park at My First Coyote Game. Do I See this driving people away in droves like some here. No!!!!! I think most of Us understand this is the world We live in.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The parking charges may seem trivial and petty to some, but they will dominate a number of acts as the patrons scream, "rip off" and display their displeasure by not attending.

I guess we'll find out soon enough mesa. I have my doubts that $10-$15 for parking's going to stop anyone who's a serious fan from attending, while the casual fans generally arent regulars anyway, a handful of games, some just one every season. It might affect the mid-rangers though, people buying the 8-10-12 game mini packs. Tack on an extra 200-300 bucks, thats pushing a lot of peoples budgets. Hard to say how the markets going to respond. Havent seen enough of these guys yet to really form an opinion in that specific regard.

Fallenone

Mar 29, 2012
I guess we'll find out soon enough mesa. I have my doubts that $10-$15 for parking's going to stop anyone who's a serious fan from attending, while the casual fans generally arent regulars anyway, a handful of games, some just one every season. It might affect the mid-rangers though, people buying the 8-10-12 game mini packs. Tack on an extra 200-300 bucks, thats pushing a lot of peoples budgets. Hard to say how the markets going to respond. Havent seen enough of these guys yet to really form an opinion in that specific regard.

What I'm hearing is Season Tix sales are up. Now these people had to have bought these with the understanding, You Pay For Parking!!!!

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
What I'm hearing is Season Tix sales are up. Now these people had to have bought these with the understanding, You Pay For Parking!!!!

To the best of my recollection Season ticket sales have been up every year since this saga started. At least that's what has been posted here. Anyone remember a post were seat sales were down?:laugh:

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

The problem lies with the pricing to the casual fan. The $10 - $15 you mention is the rate for a full season pack that a sth would purchase. The casual fan will pay $15 - $30, all for the privilege of parking in a hard to get to, non congested area. It's higher than parking for NBA games downtown. When I was told by someone close to the team that these guys had some great marketing ideas, I naively thought it was to get people into the building, not to get more from the people who are interested in attending.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.

Maybe so! But on the margin, they can ill afford to lose anyone. Basic economics says raise price and you sell fewer widgets, that is unless there is a waiting list for ST and SRO, then parking is of no consequence. Last time I looked that was not the case in glendale. time will tell!

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Maybe so! But on the margin, they can ill afford to lose anyone. Basic economics says raise price and you sell fewer widgets, that is unless there is a waiting list for ST and SRO, then parking is of no consequence. Last time I looked that was not the case in glendale. time will tell!

On the flip side, not paying for parking and comping tix hasn't worked either. Ask Ol' Jerry.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The problem lies with the pricing to the casual fan. The $10 - $15 you mention is the rate for a full season pack that a sth would purchase. The casual fan will pay $15 - $30, all for the privilege of parking in a hard to get to, non congested area. It's higher than parking for NBA games downtown. When I was told by someone close to the team that these guys had some great marketing ideas, I naively thought it was to get people into the building, not to get more from the people who are interested in attending.

The parking fee is a requirement as part of the lease agreement with the COG, not one of their "marketing ideas". Most of the money won't even go to the Coyotes owners, but just get passed on to the COG. Even so, it is not going to amount to much revenue, but as you note, it could dampen enthusiasm, especially for casual fans.

Fallenone

Mar 29, 2012

Like I said Ticket Sales are ahead of last Year At this Time. More Tickets, More Widgets

When I went to the Open House with Friends. They were buying Season Tickets I already have them. There were far fewer white sheet on the seats indicating open seats.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Iunno I think within the next two weeks it will back up after some news....

sure but it won't be the same. It won't be a 1000 post thread. There will be other teams that will be in trouble and the relocationists will have a party when that happens. As for Phoenix I don't think we will have the full blown drama again until year 4 rolls around.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
The parking fee is a requirement as part of the lease agreement with the COG, not one of their "marketing ideas". Most of the money won't even go to the Coyotes owners, but just get passed on to the COG. Even so, it is not going to amount to much revenue, but as you note, it could dampen enthusiasm, especially for casual fans.

Obviously it's not a marketing idea, but rather my idea of a joke.

They should have researched the price point and taken in mind the lack of attendance before deciding to obtain pricing that exceeds the more congested and easier to get to downtown area. If they based it off of NFL parking fee structure.... well, they were beyond foolish.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
When the Phoenix "Sticky" dies, I expect we'll see three types of threads pop up from time to time.

A) "Attendance watch" - this will consist of Canadians, local malcontents and assorted "relocationists" occasionally driving by and commenting on a particularly low crowd at Jobing.com. It will be accompanied by crappy mobile pictures focusing on sections of the stands that have the most empty seats. (Discussant Category: Occasional Flyer).

B) "Revenue projections" - This will be a bit more thoughtful and sophisticated that group "A", and will consist of various calculations of the revenues based on attendance, ticket prices and non-hockey events. It will not only include assessments of the balance sheet of the Coyotes owners, but some estimates of the pass-through revenue to the COG to offset the AMF. (Discussant category: Points Club Member).

C) "Glendale City Finances" - This will go beyond the simple revenue discussion and delve into the budgetary woes, including bond ratings, of the COG as it moves forward. Expect this type of thread to heat up as the COG faces the sunset of the temporary tax increase, and the revenue hole that will create. (Discussant category: Frequent Flyer).

D) "Legal Jeopardy" - These threads will delve into the lives of some of the main characters as the legal aspects and fallout of their malfeasance emerges. These threads will be unpredictable, since there is a good chance that nothing ever happens and everything is swept under the carpet. But any indictment or conviction of principal will light up the BOH Boards like a Christmas tree. (Discussant category: Million Mile Club).

As for me, it's hard to know how much interest I will retain. I'll probably maintain an interest, sort of like Season 10 or 11 of NYPD Blue. You have an urge to keep track of things, but have moved on to other forms of entertainment.

In the meantime, all the best to Coyotes fans for the upcoming NHL Season. But I can't say that I wish your team luck, now that they are in the same Conference as the Jets.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Obviously it's not a marketing idea, but rather my idea of a joke.

They should have researched the price point and taken in mind the lack of attendance before deciding to obtain pricing that exceeds the more congested and easier to get to downtown area. If they based it off of NFL parking fee structure.... well, they were beyond foolish.

The pricing is written right into the lease agreement. They are not permitted to charge less than $10 per car per game, and $15 per non-hockey event. Obviously, they can't charge the same for every lot, so the $10 will only be for the least convenient lots. The pricing for non-hockey events will be even more.

Obviously, this would be a terrible marketing idea, especially since paid parking also makes getting to the game less convenient. However, if they hadn't included parking charges, and hadn't charged that much, they couldn't have pretended (er... projected) the return to the COG justified the inflated AMF.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
The pricing is written right into the lease agreement. They are not permitted to charge less than $10 per car per game, and $15 per non-hockey event. Obviously, they can't charge the same for every lot, so the $10 will only be for the least convenient lots. The pricing for non-hockey events will be even more.

Obviously, this would be a terrible marketing idea, especially since paid parking also makes getting to the game less convenient. However, if they hadn't included parking charges, and hadn't charged that much, they couldn't have pretended (er... projected) the return to the COG justified the inflated AMF.

http://coyotes.nhl.com/v2/ext/PDFs/Hockey Parking Fees.pdf

Perhaps the above will help you understand.

Lot G can be parked in with a sth pass for $15.00 / game and lot J for $10.00 / game. The casual fan will be paying substantially more to park. Asking said casual fan to pay more than they would expect to pay downtown is not a good way to get them to come back. As you can see from the pricing map, they will be paying far more than the minimum that the lease requires.

Incidentally, this could easily backfire, the parking group that runs the UOP parking could undercut these prices for their location that is more convenient for much of the arena. This of course won't be much good for the COG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad