Phoenix LXXXV: A Bridge to Nowhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Mid-season moves happen in other major leagues, too. It's really not that big a deal, and done right, it's a potential marketing bonanza.

The one problem i see is that. Available dates at the arena your moving to is not available to work with the schedule you have. They would have a hard time trying to pull that at Key arena.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Mid-season moves happen in other major leagues, too. It's really not that big a deal, and done right, it's a potential marketing bonanza.

Examples, please. Because I can't think of any.

Unless you're thinking of teams moving to a new venue within their market which isn't really the same thing.

rj

Jan 29, 2007
Indiana
Mid-season moves happen in other major leagues, too. It's really not that big a deal...

at anything larger than the Arena Football League for example?

I can't think of one off the top of my head and I know of some minor league pro sports leagues.

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
I can't see logistically how it could be done. Back in the WHA days a few times a team stopped playing in mid season and some scheduling was changed but that was losing a team in midseason not a move.

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012

Unless you're thinking of teams moving to a new venue within their market which isn't really the same thing.

A couple in the WHA (Ottawa Civics to Denver Spurs, Michigan Stags to Baltimore Blades). Kansas City Kings used to split games in Omaha.

Edit to add: Virginia Squires of ABA used to play all over Virginia (Richmond, Roanoke, Norfolk), Utah Jazz used to split games in Las Vegas, Boston Celtics used to play a few games in Hartford.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Oh? Who has done this here in North America amongst the Big4 recently? I know the Federal Hockey Leagues pulls stuff like that however as you know thats as Bush League as Bush League gets. 74 you had the NY Stars of the WFL move to Charlotte NC. Some other "oddities" but I surely dont recall any "mid season moves" unless an act of God, building collapses or whatever.

Dado

Yes, that's what I was thinking of. May be possible I misconstrued the initial comment...?

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Oh? Who has done this here in North America amongst the Big4 recently? I know the Federal Hockey Leagues pulls stuff like that however as you know thats as Bush League as Bush League gets. 74 you had the NY Stars of the WFL move to Charlotte NC. Some other "oddities" but I surely dont recall any "mid season moves" unless an act of God, building collapses or whatever.
After the last 5 years I think we can all agree the NHL is also Bush League as Bush League gets! lolll ;)

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005

at anything larger than the Arena Football League for example?

I can't think of one off the top of my head and I know of some minor league pro sports leagues.

The only ones that come to mind are:

- 1968: High winds tear the roof off the Spectrum - Flyers play home games at MSG, Toronto, & Quebec
- 2005: Hurricane Katrina - Saints play home games at Giants Stadium, San Antonio, and Baton Rouge
- 2010: Heavy snows collapse Metrodome roof - Vikings play home games in Detroit and U Minn.

So are you comparing the 'Yotes situation to natural disasters????

This disaster is purely man made :).

edit: I think you have to go back to the WHA to find a mid-season relocation in a "major" pro sports league:

1975: Michigan Stags -> Baltimore Blades
1976: Denver Spurs -> Ottawa Civics

And let's face it, it's hard to more bush league than the perpetual instability that was the WHA.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The only ones that come to mind are:

- 1968: High winds tear the roof off the Spectrum - Flyers play home games at MSG, Toronto, & Quebec
- 2005: Hurricane Katrina - Saints play home games at Giants Stadium, San Antonio, and Baton Rouge
- 2010: Heavy snows collapse Metrodome roof - Vikings play home games in Detroit and U Minn.

So are you comparing the 'Yotes situation to natural disasters????

This disaster is purely man made :).

Those were also temp.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
That will not happen. The NHL would have to reserve dates ahead for Key arena.

not to mention it ****s up away teams travel schedules.

the yotes will either stay for the whole season or leave for the whole season. No half-measures.

CC Superfan

Nov 14, 2012
so...

RSE needs guaranteed revenue for the Fortress loan. To do this, they are asking CoG to up the AMF in exchange for these new revenue streams. CoG wants RSE to guarantee these revenue streams.

I pray Glendale holds fast on this, but I know fear of an empty Westgate works well and with politics it's always better to make a decision with "good intentions". If they don't work out, oh well, blame this and that... It's not like anybody goes to jail, right Beasley?

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
Ah Westgate. how many times have Glendale council people made dumb votes based on "Save Westgate"
And Sherwood with his stupid, "they may as well board up the arena: Hey, remember the arena management contract that was YOUR idea?

rj

Jan 29, 2007
Indiana
Yes, that's what I was thinking of. May be possible I misconstrued the initial comment...?

I do not for a second equate lack of a venue due to weather-related events to man-made economic distress driving permanent moves.

CC Superfan

Nov 14, 2012
Ah Westgate. how many times have Glendale council people made dumb votes based on "Save Westgate" and Sherwood with his stupid, "they may as well board up the arena"

It's sad to see some councillors believe in the unproven worst-case fears that Westgate will be shuttered without hockey.

But with hockey, for some reason they blindly believe in the unproven best-case projections?

rj

Jan 29, 2007
Indiana
It's sad to see some councillors believe in the unproven worst-case fears that Westgate will be shuttered without hockey.

But with hockey, for some reason they blindly believe in the unproven best-case projections?

they're lying

they know damn well what you're saying and what everyone on this board has said if they have an ounce of intelligence, they're lying, probably because they've been bribed

Check Sherwood's political contributions if they're publicly available, it might tell you why he's on this.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
well, I'm going to write a book about this saga titled:

"So, Why is No One in Jail?:

The Story of a Sports League, an Arena, a Municipality, and Delusions of Grandeur"

And all Moyes wanted from COG was $14 MM per year...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Mario Lemieux from New York I' doubt, but Micheal Douglas is known also to have a house in Tremblant...

Huh? Lemieux & Bettman? Like "this" close Muf. Next stop Nova Scotia.

well, I'm going to write a book about this saga titled:

"So, Why is No One in Jail?:

The Story of a Sports League, an Arena, a Municipality, and Delusions of Grandeur"

... :laugh: I like that. Catchy title.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
I like the name Circular Search for Revenues for the next thread.

Or maybe something to do with juggling a hot potato as nobody wants to be left holding it- not Glendale, not RSE, not the NHL.

And to echo an earlier comment, has anyone seen Gosbee since he visited city hall or has he still found no way out?

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
I like the name Circular Search for Revenues for the next thread.

Or maybe something to do with juggling a hot potato as nobody wants to be left holding it- not Glendale, not RSE, not the NHL.

And to echo an earlier comment, has anyone seen Gosbee since he visited city hall or has he still found no way out?

There hasn't been a single sighting of Gosbee. He's roaming the halls, still looking for..........another way out:amazed: :naughty:

seattletotems

Apr 3, 2013
Bonney Lake Wa
Ah Westgate. how many times have Glendale council people made dumb votes based on "Save Westgate"
And Sherwood with his stupid, "they may as well board up the arena: Hey, remember the arena management contract that was YOUR idea?

I believe that IF the Coyotes left that it would not kill that shopping center or Arena. In fact it might even be the same or better for the city. IMO I think that an AHL team could eventually play in the arena and would draw 4000-6000 a game and those fans would still shop and go to dinner and drinks before or after games. I also believe that Anaheim or Los Angeles could use that as there farm team and The new Seattle NHL team would be based IN Portland ,OR This would allow wast coast expansion of the AHL. Just a thought to ponder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad