Phoenix LXXXV: A Bridge to Nowhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyMonkey1208

Apr 9, 2012
Quebec must love their Ramparts. I mean, with Seattle getting the Coyotes, why else would they have a request for bids out for so much work to be done on a 50+ year old arena, while their new, state of the art arena is being built across the way? Luckiest team ever!

;)

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I'm not too sure why people keep saying Bettman wants the team here or there. Gary Bettman doesn't decide where teams go. Teh BOG do.

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
I dont know Man. Maybe Gary wants to re-design the game, put hockey into basketball specific venues, be it the AWA in 96 or the Islanders off to Brooklyn & Barclays, and now this with Key Arena. Next up, 4 Quarters instead of 3 Periods. Extra point if you score from behind the Blue Line...

What about the no goal tending rule in basketball? How does that play in to you senario?

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Anyone care to actually explain how Seattle even gets ready in time? Think about that when thinking Seattle is the clear frontrunner for the Coyotes.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
How long does it take to get a franchise ready to play in a new city/building?

TNSE was running an AHL team, a somewhat ready NHL building, and had a season ticket drive campaign prepared for a year in advance. They were awarded the team May 31 and found it extremely difficult to make it on time. Employees working long hours, no vacations, etc etc. Even for pre-season games they didn't have arena board advertising ready.

With that said, if your willing to throw enough money at it, I'm sure it could be done in a shorter period of time. But it isn't as easy as many people think.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Jets 1.0 played a lame duck season in Winnipeg. Maybe the Coyotes do the same while they prepare in Seattle?

NHL already said they will not own the team next season and they don't have a lease to play in Glendale yet. City has a bit of leverage if that happens, no matter who owns them.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Marketing drive, STH sale, sponsorship, local TV deals, basic renovation.... Let put it this way three years ago Winnipeg was made official on May 31. It was a mad scramble even if TSNE was already working on it months in advance of the official announcement.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
NHL already said they will not own the team next season and they don't have a lease to play in Glendale yet. City has a bit of leverage if that happens, no matter who owns them.

Well the NHL has not technically said they wouldn't own the team next year. They have said it would be extremely unlikely etc etc. The NHL mouth pieces never speak in definitives like that.

Anyway, hypothetically I was thinking the NHL could sell the team to a Seattle group but have the team play one last year in Glendale if its too late to relocate.

But obviously they would have to work out a lease with the arena manager to play there one more season. Its not like they would deny them the privledge out of spite. Its 41 dates they wouldn't otherwise have, and give them an extra year to try finding an alternative minor league team.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg

Depends on the existng infrastructure. Winnipeg already had an AHL team owned by the same ownership group as the current NHL team with an NHL arena that was ready to go. The team was announced May 28th of that year, and everything I've heard says that was tight for what is probably the best case scenario for a ready-to-go NHL city. Our preseason games still did not have ads on the board, that's how busy marketing was in an NHL city. Also add in the fact Winnipeg almost for the Coyotes the year before, so they were definitely preparing for awhile.

People were doubting Quebec City could do it this late, I don't see how Seattle could come close.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Well the NHL has not technically said they wouldn't own the team next year. They have said it would be extremely unlikely etc etc. The NHL mouth pieces never speak in definitives like that.

Anyway, hypothetically I was thinking the NHL could sell the team to a Seattle group but have the team play one last year in Glendale if its too late to relocate.

But obviously they would have to work out a lease with the arena manager to play there one more season. Its not like they would deny them the privledge out of spite. Its 41 dates they wouldn't otherwise have, and give them an extra year to try finding an alternative minor league team.
I don't know. If am running the arena you have to pay to the nose to play a lame duck year in it. I rather have the flexibility of 41 more dates that I can book than paying to maintain the ice for a team that leaving anyway.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
People should remember however that in Jan 2007 when Mark Chipman presented Winnipeg as a site for an NHL team, a group from Seattle also presented. Its not like the idea of the NHL in Seattle has just happened over night. Over 6 years ago a group was prepared to bring a team in. Who knows what kind of preparations they have already done.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
TNSE was running an AHL team, a somewhat ready NHL building, and had a season ticket drive campaign prepared for a year in advance. They were awarded the team May 31 and found it extremely difficult to make it on time. Employees working long hours, no vacations, etc etc. Even for pre-season games they didn't have arena board advertising ready.

With that said, if your willing to throw enough money at it, I'm sure it could be done in a shorter period of time. But it isn't as easy as many people think.

The Winnipeg situation is different. They had an arena with a team in it already. They had to unwind all the contracts associated with advertising for that team, break/buyout old contracts, and then get new contracts in place. They also had to find something to do with the AHL team. QC has none of that to do except get new contracts for advertising and suites.

They would also have a different strategy concerning ticket sales. Winnipeg had to go through their list of Moose ticketholders first, get all of them taken care of and then put the rest out to the public.

In summary, it took TNSE longer because they had to unwind the Moose first and then start. No Moose or squirrel unwinding in QC.

nelina

May 28, 2013
Saguenay, QC
Not sure what you read, the quote in the link is him talking about a possible agreement to keep the Coyotes in Glendale, saying its possible there is an agreement cause we know negotiations have been taking place to keep the team there.

You're right. I think I need some glasses.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
People should remember however that in Jan 2007 when Mark Chipman presented Winnipeg as a site for an NHL team, a group from Seattle also presented. Its not like the idea of the NHL in Seattle has just happened over night. Over 6 years ago a group was prepared to bring a team in. Who knows what kind of preparations they have already done.
Is that the same group anyway? Five years is pretty long to sit on the side line. And if key was already getting some work done it would have leaked just as fast as the old colisé work did.

GF

Nov 4, 2012

It depends, is it a canadian or an american city?

A canadian city needs:
-a new state of the art arena.
-They need a perfectly ready NHL caliber temporary arena (if the new arena is not finished building)
-they need to sell all of their seasons tickets
-they need to shut their mouth and never say a word about real or supposed negociations
-they need to have the mayor silenced as well

An American city:
-none of the above

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City

That was six years ago, so their new arena must be built right? Oh yeah, no the shovels are not even in the ground... :help:

Last edited:

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Is that the same group anyway? Five years is pretty long to sit on the side line. And if key was already getting some work done it would have leaked just as fast as the old colisé work did.

I haven't the foggiest idea if its the same group or not. You're right 5 years is a long time. I'm just saying there is the possibility that it's the same group and they have made some preparations that haven't been publicly reported.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
That was six years ago, so their new arena must be built right? Oh yeah, no the shovels are not even in the ground... :help:

What are you talking about? You think the NHL bases its decisions on where to put teams based on the city building a new arena? I must have missed Hamilton being awarded a team 20 years ago.

I'm a neutral observer discussing the business of hockey and what might be taking place. You are not a neutral observer. Anything that could possibly show the leageus desire to go to Seattle over Quebec is somehow offensive to you.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
They would also have a different strategy concerning ticket sales. Winnipeg had to go through their list of Moose ticketholders first, get all of them taken care of and then put the rest out to the public.
That not a minus it a plus everybody in sale will tell a list of sale lead is worth the trouble. Might not apply to Winnipeg or Quebec city due to the appetite of both market for NHL hockey but it sure is something to worry about in Seattle. Also Quebec has their own sale list with J'ai ma place.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I haven't the foggiest idea if its the same group or not. You're right 5 years is a long time. I'm just saying there is the possibility that it's the same group and they have made some preparations that haven't been publicly reported.

Am certain its not the same group. As far as getting things set up, I believe that Hansen in anticipation of the NBA Kings playing here next year had put things in motion that could lay the groundwork for the NHL (ticket sales, marketing etc.). This assumes his limited involvement in the team of course. Still seems like a lot to accomplish in very short timeframe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad