Phoenix LXXXIII: "Stuff's Gonna Happen"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
See my post I just made about interest. Seattle is definitely not Atlanta (in support in any sport really) when it comes to the NHL. 2 WHL Teams in the metro area, 4 in the state, 1 across the boarder in Portland (3 hour drive) and another 3 hours to Vancouver. Seattle will be a great NHL city.

I agree they will be a great NHL city, when they are ready!

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
there have been 3 WHL teams in the Seattle area in the past 20 years

yep, real terrible hockey market

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
@cmorganfoxaz: Also, sources tell me that reports of another mystery #Coyotes buyer with a deal in place are nothing more than rumor.

maruk14

Jun 24, 2002
Seattle, WA
Visit site
I agree they will be a great NHL city, when they are ready!

According to all the smoke it appears the NHL wants to give that readiness a jump start and get here while there is no other competition for winter sports (and a time in Seattle where indoor entertainment is preferred unless you are in the mountains :) ) - we'll see. They are just rumors. I for one am hoping they are true.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
You know what they say about opinions.

Cause the WHL was here for 5 years then left ... oh wait, they added another team to this market 10 years ago and then the novelty wore off, right? Someone tell all those Silvertip fans that the novelty is finished?

This also applies to quebec city ; paying 15$ x4 to bring the wife and the kids to see junior hockey has nothing to do with paying 100$ x4 to go see the NHL

For both markets success in the junior ranks doesnt mean nhl level success

Here for the remparts you can get a season ticket for 350$ for about 40 games that will get you maybe 3 nhl games its a different world

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
the point of bringing up junior hockey is to show the grassroots support hockey already has in either market... people keep wanting to compare Seattle, a city that's supported high level hockey going back a century, with Atlanta. The same can be said for QC... we know it's a great market because hockey is so well established there.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Shouldn't dump on Seattle. If the NHL chooses them, it chooses them. Should reflect negatively on the NHL not Seattle.

Having said that, I don't think Seattle fans believe they would be a BETTER market than QC. A good NHL market, Yes. Better than hockey crazy QC, No.

I am just trying to understand why the NHL wouldn't choose QC. I have come up with 4...

1) They don't want to move 2 American teams to Canada in a short period of time. The optics would be poor.
2) They want to keep QC for expansion - assuming they will get big $$$.
3) They want to keep the team in the West.
4) They worry about their NBC deal - no matter the denials.

Can anyone add to "The List" above? :)

maruk14

Jun 24, 2002
Seattle, WA
Visit site
This also applies to quebec city ; paying 15$ x4 to bring the wife and the kids to see junior hockey has nothing to do with paying 100$ x4 to go see the NHL

For both markets success in the junior ranks doesnt mean nhl level success

Here for the remparts you can get a season ticket for 350$ for about 40 games that will get you maybe 3 nhl games its a different world

It speaks to interest in hockey in the region when the post I was replying to was saying the novelty would wear off after 5 years and you see Seattle compared to Atlanta when the facts are there is a rich history of hockey here and the only reason the NHL isn't here has always been because of a building, not interest by the market.

I have no interest in comparing or trying to slam QC. They deserve a team, no question but that is out of our control.

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
5) they want to be in a rapidly growing metro area with a huge corporate base and extremely favorable demos that ticks a number of boxes including alignment and optics, and they want to be there before the NBA gets in.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Large, extremely large and not to be underestimated number of Canadians either living full time in Washington or having second homes down there, cross border traffic heavy to say the least. Dozens upon dozens of multi-national companies, from marketing & sales perspectives have for years considered Oregon, Idaho, Alberta, BC & Washington as a single region, their Zone Offices more often than not in either Seattle or Vancouver, while governmentally & in terms of trade, energy & resource transfers to & from the US to Canada, including California, an economic powerhouse & juggernaut in & of itself.

Indeed, the secessionist Cascadian National Party has chapters in over 16 cities throughout the Northwest, while jointly and in the more mainstream, the Pacific Northwest Economic Region coalition of state Governors & BC's Premier was formed in the 90's to act in concert in unifying trade policy to the far east & China, amongst themselves. Most businesses out here of mid to large size trading extensively up & down the coast regardless of sector, countless hundreds with offices, plants, distribution centres or whatever from California to Alaska. Simon Fraser University in Vancouver competes in NCAA Div 1 (not in hockey, yet) and there has been & continues to be much rivalry (most notably Football & Basketball, Soccer & Baseball) between BC & Washington State going back decades. So yes, for all kinds of reasons the NHL absolutely has missed the boat when in the past unfortunately bidders for Expansion franchises came up short.

All that being said, again, I just dont think right now is the most opportune time to be parachuting a franchise into the market. Do it properly, give the ownership group the time its going to require.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Actually, I'll add one myself...

Al Strachen once said, and I believe this to be true, if the NHL puts a team in Canada is does not add even one fan.
If it moves to a non NHL city, the upside is almost unlimited.

Sad but true.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Let's not get carried away here. The moment relocation to Quebec City is announced, several hundred thousand people are going to go absolutely bonkers. Seattle isn't being bandied about as an option because of an existing fanbase, it's being brought into the conversation because of the upside potential it harbors due to the size of the market and its corporate base. Facts are facts, and the only U.S. team with a comparable fanbase to the Canadian teams is NYR - we know this because that's the only U.S. team that can garner gate revenues in the top 8 of the league.

I have no problem with Seattle getting a team, but let's not pretend it's an amazing hockey market that's ready to explode at the announcement of a new franchise there.

Last edited:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I have no interest in comparing or trying to slam QC. They deserve a team, no question but that is out of our control.

5) they want to be in a rapidly growing metro area with a huge corporate base and extremely favorable demos that ticks a number of boxes including alignment and optics, and they want to be there before the NBA gets in.

Well said.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011

Good point 100% agree, but where would they play? There is no way the NHL is going to play in the Key!

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

Al Strachen once said, and I believe this to be true, if the NHL puts a team in Canada is does not add even one fan. If it moves to a non NHL city, the upside is almost unlimited.

Sad but true.

I never really bought into that theory. When TSNE launched their drive 2 years ago, I think those 13,000 STH (plus waiting list) are very much new paying customers that the NHL did not had before :)

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Right now the NHL says it wishes to have 30 healthy franchises before considering expansion. What sense would it make to move to a lesser hockey market? Isn't Quebec City a lot more likely to be a healthy franchise from the get-go than Seattle?

Zorbane

Oct 23, 2006
Vancouver
Good point 100% agree, but where would they play? There is no way the NHL is going to play in the Key!

Yes they are, they said it's fine as a temporary arena. The only question is whether they can start building the new arena with an NHL team only.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
You know, there only 21,273 seats in the Bell Center. If the Nords and the Habs play at home on the same night, well that's (Colisee's Capacity) tickets sold that wouldn't have been sold in this market otherwise.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Al Strachen once said, and I believe this to be true, if the NHL puts a team in Canada is does not add even one fan.
If it moves to a non NHL city, the upside is almost unlimited.

Sad but true.

May not add one fan but at this point the NHL shouldn't care about adding one fan. The NHL should care about making money.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I never really bought into that theory. When TSNE launched their drive 2 years ago, I think those 13,000 STH (plus waiting list) are very much new paying customers that the NHL did not had before :)

May not add one fan but at this point the NHL shouldn't care about adding one fan. The NHL should care about making money.

Right now the NHL says it wishes to have 30 healthy franchises before considering expansion. What sense would it make to move to a lesser hockey market? Isn't Quebec City a lot more likely to be a healthy franchise from the get-go than Seattle?

Fair enough. IF the Coyotes do move, I would prefer QC. Unfortunately, I don't have a say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad