Phoenix LXXXIII: "Stuff's Gonna Happen"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
But, as Killion said, if you relocate to Seattle for $175M and then expand to Toronto and QC for $800M, the league is miles ahead.

:)

It's been said before, but what's the difference? PKP will pay what he's willing to pay. The league already owns the Coyotes, so I see no logic as to why he would supposedly be willing to pay more for an expansion team than for an existing team. In either case he's just negotiating a price with the league itself.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I think this has been mentioned before, but I sometimes wonder if there are mid-level members of the BoG who don't want to see a massive sudden increase in league-wide revenue for payroll purposes.

It is an issue to their bottom line. But it would be a stretch to say the NHL is deliberately fighting to keep teams in weak(er) markets just to keep the payrolls down. If you are a mid-level team it helps to have teams below you I would think.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
We (Canadian trolls) have put this fan base thru hell for 5 years. They would have every right to smile/gloat if the team ends up in Seattle.

Trolls are trolls, but it's the NHL and a string of ownership charlatans that have put the Coyotes' fans through hell for years. If they had resolved the ownership situation, none of this discussion and enmity would have developed and persisted.

Having said that, I can completely understand it if Coyotes fans exhibit schadenfreude in relation to the plight of Canadian fans' quest for a franchise. It seems a perfectly natural reaction to me, though I hope they realize that none of the real culprits in this mess carry a Canadian passport (unless you think that the IEH's antics were a negative influence on the whole saga).

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
You know, PKP almost bought the Habs. He wants a hockey team and I don't think he'd mind paying the expansion money for the Coyotes.

Why is the expansion team worth more than the existing team - somebody? Anybody? Bueller?

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
Id dare say McCown & Shannon are quite likely absolutely 110% correct. The NHL looks at Canada's last 3 remaining markets of QC, Toronto2 & Hamilton as absolute Cash Cows. Why play that chip with a Relo? Your talkin close to $2B in Expansion Fee's & Indemnification Payments to Toronto & Buffalo, and... the NHL will get it. You want in? $450M-$500M not out of line considering the sale prices of the Leafs & Habs.

now I caught the end of McClowns conversation on this, but I believe he did say the NHL was offered 500 Mil for Yotes to move the team to Toronto area and he refused.. if this is true looks like the Leafs are still fighting a 2nd team tooth and nail.. how in the word do you turn down that much money unless you have the King Kong of Hockey teams sayin no no no!

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
I could see them getting $300M for QC, tho.

QC would sell, as a relocation franchise, somewhere in the neighborhood of 170M to 230M. As an expansion franchise, with the league having much more leverage, yes I could see QC overpaying to about that to get their franchise. I don't know where people get the idea where expansion franchises in Canada are worth 500M a pop. There are only three teams that have that kind of value in the nhl currently. Considering that the Winnipeg Jets sold for 170M, increased their value to 200M after y1, and have probably have increased their value again this year, I think the sale price will be $170M + 60M for relocation or 230M. Also remember that you also have to factor in Phoenix's/Seattle's expected losses into the equation as well. So really, there isn't much of a monetary reason to not go to Quebec right now. People don't overpay by multiples guys...

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Why is the expansion team worth more than the existing team - somebody? Anybody? Bueller?

If anything it should be the opposite. The established team comes with a roster of players, existing staff, trademarks, its history, the team equipement, leftover merchandise...etc... expansions start from scratch.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
$500m for a QC franchise? One not make it a cool $1bn, as long as we're pulling numbers from our *****.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

now I caught the end of McClowns conversation on this, but I believe he did say the NHL was offered 500 Mil for Yotes to move the team to Toronto area and he refused.. if this is true looks like the Leafs are still fighting a 2nd team tooth and nail.. how in the word do you turn down that much money unless you have the King Kong of Hockey teams sayin no no no!

You answered your own question. ;)

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
From what I've been reading here the past couple of pages, it's sounding less like "if the Yotes will stay" and more a question of "Where will they go"-it sounds like Bettman was not exactly saying the glass was half full.

EDIT: IN before the thread lock ;)

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Why is a new house sometimes more than an old house? :naughty:

I don't think this parralel holds... the new house is supposed to be of better quality than the old one and such, sells for more.

A better comparison would be the price of an old house VS the price of an empty field on which you want to build a house using discarded pieces of wood your neighbors let you pick from a pile.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
$ Now that is what I call a compelling argument for ignoring QC, rather than the alignment and scheduling.

B$NGO. Dont ignore them, just refuse to sell them a team through Relo and on the cheap. Why would you leave $300M+ of completely unencumbered dollars left un-tapped?

Sad but true - altho, I think Hamilton will never get a team. :( God, I hate Bettman and the NHL. :(

Well Kevy, as you know Hamiltons' my number one destination period, so sorry Seattle & QC, Markham, but Im firmly in Hamiltons camp here and openly admit my biases. Gross negligence by the NHL since 1985 when Copps opened its doors, literally billions of dollars left un-tapped in southwestern Ontario over the last 28yrs. Easily a top 5 money making machine of a franchise. Im certain the NHL winds up there finally, be it through the implosion of Copps and a massive redevelopment or whatever, that trains coming, cant stop it.

It's been said before, but what's the difference? PKP will pay what he's willing to pay. The league already owns the Coyotes, so I see no logic as to why he would supposedly be willing to pay more for an expansion team than for an existing team. In either case he's just negotiating a price with the league itself.

No, through Expansion he's not given the luxury of negotiating. This is the price. You want in? You pay it. Just ask Ron Joyce, one time wannabe franchisee in Hamilton how that worked when he offered $25M instead of the $50M the league was demanding for an Expansion Team. Deny him the option of buying a distressed asset & moving it. This was part of the biggest problem with Balsillie. He wanted to buy the Penguins, Nashville & Phoenix on the cheap, then move them to a Grade 'A' Market.

Yes, but that just keeps reinforcing the Canadian Ugly Sister complex. :cry:

Well, hockey being a religion with the vast majority, you want a seat on the pew, dig, and dig deep. Its all about the $$$. If for example in some crazy upside down world the State of Alabama & Birmingham was beyond hockey-insane, damn straight your going to charge them through the nose when your effectively running a monopoly with the best product on the planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad